z

Young Writers Society



Another part of The Sun Prophet

by Firestarter



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:13 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...



Jiggy, may I ask why you just critiqued a story I stopped writing two and a half years ago?

Thanks anyway, lol.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20 am
Snoink says...



*lifts glass*

Here's to how much you've improved! :D

(I was wondering why I wasn't informed of this story, lol.)




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:16 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



Nice work over all, but comma's kill this piece:

Ravin lay, perfectly awake, on his mattress


This kind of halting sentence is common throughout the story and it just about slaughters the flow, then burns it for good measure lol. Try:

'Ravin lay awake on his mattress.'

Who was he to disagree with such a wise, and truthful, man?


Who was he to disagree with such a wise and truthful man?

Whenever, there was too much danger, he didn't hesitate to run.


Again with the comma: Whenever there was too much danger, he didn't hesitate to run.

On second thought, perhaps: Whenever there was too much danger, he ran.
A little less clunky that, but not a necessary correction. Just a thought.

But there is a small line between honour and stupidity


I think perhaps 'thin' line would be better then 'small'.

perhaps the Machuli, but not the conscripted men of Norfor.


I both love and hate these little snippets; on the one hand, they sound uber cool and any reader of fantasy could easily conjur up a million awesome things at the sound of them, but on the other, they literally mean nothing. Sounds cool, but we dont know who the Machilo or Norfor people are, or what theyre renowned for, and so we don't know whether to be inspired or afraid or whatever. The intended effect is lost.

I still like it XD.

That strong force, in that darkness, was enough


replace the second 'that' with 'the'.

Her cries echoed the silent camp


echoes in the silent camp.

"As much as is necessary, [s]lad[/s]. All you need to do is make sure you're not one of them. That goes for all of you. Look after yourself, look after the ones beside you."


Very nice. Get rid of the 'lad' though, its much stronger without it, not too sure why though. Perhaps because it reminds me too much of Druss, lol.

They encouraged death, they sang for death, they cheered for death. They lived for death.


Waay to much repetition here. Try: They encouraged death; sang and cheered for it. They lived for death.

And on that note, exactly how does one encourage death? I get what you mean... just sounds odd is all.

A very nice, if slightly meaningless, well written piece. I say meaningless only in the sense that all excerpts and snippets are, becuase without context, we care little for the characters or the situation which in this case is a bit cliche--if in a new and interesting world; I'd definetly like to read more of that--but then its one of those cliches that I happen to never tire of. I love underdog stories lol.




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:44 am
View Likes
Firestarter says...



Wow, supernecromancy.

Although surprisingly I just read over this and didn't actually mind it ... a first for something I wrote two and a half years ago.




User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 4601
Reviews: 141

Donate
Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:08 am
Firestalker says...



Firestarter i really do wish i could write like you, your so good at it . i feel jealous sometimes




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:14 pm
Firestarter says...



Thank for the comments.

Does this take place before or after the last story snippet you posted? Just wondering ...


Straight after.

The men don't know that Ravin is the Sun Prophet?


Nope. It's not quite popular knowledge.

And how are you pronouncing Ravin? I know, that's a very wierd question to ask, but I have a tendency to pronounce things differently than others. Mr. Green So far, I've been pronouncing it rah'-ven (a little like robin with a 'v' instead of 'b'.


Pronounce it how you like, I don't mind. But to me it has always been "Rav-in", as in how it's spelt. No tricks. Though Rah'-ven sounds good too. Doesn't really matter.

Anyhoo, ta for reading.




User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 87

Donate
Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:09 am
View Likes
Perra wrote a review...



This is just as good as the first part you gave us. Bravo and kudos! I do concur, you do write beautifully.

The men don't know that Ravin is the Sun Prophet? And how are you pronouncing Ravin? I know, that's a very wierd question to ask, but I have a tendency to pronounce things differently than others. :mrgreen: So far, I've been pronouncing it rah'-ven (a little like robin with a 'v' instead of 'b'.




User avatar
145 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 145

Donate
Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:11 am
Skye says...



I love it!
I just have one question: Does this take place before or after the last story snippet you posted? Just wondering ...
You write beautifully; I can really see what is going on clearly in my mind. Great job!

~Skye Demon





First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew