mancunian reject

by Firestarter

Thu May 12, 2005 5:59 pm
Firestarter says...

Thanks Soy.

I suppose most of your queries are due to the fact this is for my sister. She's an accountant, who goes to uni in Edinburgh, and was due to go on holiday to New York at New Year with her boyfriend, but the broke up. I wrote this about that.

But yeh, it needs some punctuation.

Thu May 12, 2005 5:52 pm
Soyala Amaya wrote a review...

Interesting...not my fav, but interesting. Nit picky time though love.

First stanza, do you need

winter christmans
It seems kind of redundant tome. If it's christmas, it's winter. And I'm not so sure about
stylish thing scarves
. I understand that you were going for something, I'm just not seeing what it was. Also, switching from 'fucking cold' to 'fiery anger' just isn't cuting it for me. Maybe, though a little cliche, still nic eimagery. 'cold fire anger'? It fits better with your other imagery.

Second stanza
norwegian pine trees are prickly,
they hurt when you touch them.
up-and-coming english girls are
hurt when you touch them

Ooo hoo. All right, First off, I don't like your wording. THe senses thing I like, but the wording just confuses the reader as the whether the tree is hurting oyu or you are hurting the tree, and then you have the same kind of wording right after with the girls...who is hurting who? Maybe try
"Prickly norweigian pine tress,
hurt you when you touch them.
up-and-coming english girls
hurt when..."
And don't use 'touch them again'. It's redundant and kind of grates the tongue when you have the same wordings right afte each other.
it was all so much simpler
when you were a manchester lass
the castles of edinburgh
the skyscrapers of new york
just weren't made for accountants
with high heels and low tolerance
leave the temper at home.

Ok, if it's so much simpler the be manchester lass, then why are the castles of edinburgh included with the skyscapers when you say they weren't made for accountants? You should probably use some sort of punctuation or add another line. And where did the accountant come from? You never put any kind of job up ther ebefore,t hen out fo the blue, hey! An accountant! What happened to 'you'? Also, is this for a gay guy? Because in the first stanza you talk about fiery young men, then him not loving 'you', then it's the 'you' that has the temper. Confusing. You might want to take out the last line.

Hey, I had more critique than I thought I was going to. Who knew? Still kind of like it.

And sorry for the typos, at the crappy school keyboard.

Thu May 12, 2005 5:02 pm
Firestarter says...

Thankee very much everyone

Thu May 12, 2005 12:12 am
Mattie says...

Hey FS. I love this! It flows together smoothly enough and I like your word choice as someone else said. Great work as always!

bubblewrapped says...

Damn but you're good! I have to say this is one of my favourites by you. Hell, one of my favourites on the entire board. Love it. Keep up the great work!

Mon May 09, 2005 4:21 am
Chevy says...

You have a lot of power in your words. From reading your poetry, it's evident that you spend a lot of time intricately placing words together...with you it seems like nothing is repeated or said twice. I always get that edge-of-seat feeling...

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:03 am
Liz wrote a review...

I really like this, especially the personal style of the poem. The dedication and the conversational tone really adds to the interest. So good job there. The only thing I'm unsure about is the punctuation. You have full stops at the end of the last two stanzas, but what about the first stanza and in between? That's just unimportance though, I'm nit-picking.

norwegian pine trees are prickly,
they hurt when you touch them.
up-and-coming english girls are
hurt when you touch them

Do you need the "are" at the end of the third line? Try getting rid of it, I think it disrupts the rhythm and the natural flow of the poem.
Overall, absolutely great. Interesting and understandable. You also have the whole tactile imagery thing going, with the "fucking freezing" weather and the "pricky" "norwegian pine trees". Good stuff.

Lollipop says...

HEE HEEEEEE! I loved this! Its great. Go the British!

~Lollipop~

The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451