z

Young Writers Society



saturday night

by Firestarter


J


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 pm
Firestarter says...



Please don't necromance a story I wrote four years ago, for all our sakes.




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 2133
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 pm
deltadalek wrote a review...



This was good! I like the characters, and how things went.
I can't really find any error that was not previously mentioned. I wish I could help :smt001 !
Maybe a sequel? I can't wait to read more!




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:07 am
speciabilitator wrote a review...



I actually really liked that. However, I must exercise my evil teacher-ness by saying that you need to control yourself a bit in the writing area.
For instance:

Not like a soaking, flooding kind of wet, but the type that you get when heavy dew forms, and it’s dark, and your trainers don’t look like they’re wet but your socks and hence your feet get freezing cold and it’s piss annoying.


Now, I know he's supposed to be a guy, and this is his point of view, but you need to write it a bit more like...argh, I'm having a lot of trouble explaining. What I mean is, instead of "but the type that you get..." you should switch it around so it might be more like this:
"It wasn't a soaking, flooding wetness. It was the kind..."
Well, you know what, maybe I'm just making it worse. I'm no help at all. It would be easier if I could grab a red pen and do all my evil exes.
By the way, I'm not a teacher. When I said "exercise my evil teacher-ness" I just...well, don't ask me what I meant. I'm really not good at articulating what I feel.
Maybe that's why I write depressing things.
I'll try to lighten up.
It was good, otherwise. And I'm not criticizing this for the swear words, I don't mind them at all. Just had to clear that up.




User avatar
196 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 196

Donate
Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:20 am
Shriek wrote a review...



Hey,

I've been meaning to read this for the longest time. So, yay, one thing to check off my five page to-do list.

To be honest, the plot has been done before. Cynic-loner arrives at some blazing party with liquor and a girl in mind. Throw around some profanities, build it up for the letdown, atta boy Jack. But wait -- what is this?

I liked it anyway.

Your stories, this one included, always possess this positively refreshing -- something. You could be talking about urine, pocket lint, cracks in the windshield, anything, and it would still be so damn eloquent. It could be the oldest story in the book and you'd make it a good read for me. I'm not sure why it is. The note in your narrator's voice, the way you paint it all so painfully real, I think is something I can identify with.

I don't have anything constructive to say. You should write more in first person, you'll improve gradually the way you did with your poetry.

As for this story, if you plan on keeping it around, editing, putting it in your portfolio, I would recommend you condense. Your narrator is no Holden Caulfield -- rambling on about "wanting to get fucking drunk" gets old after awhile. Salinger was trying to prove a point socially with his rambles; what's yours? I understand it's part of the character, whatever. Are you illustrating a lost and lonely boy, glorifying drinking, talking about the turmoils of young love? Whatever your point is, building the story around it, condensing, and adding some original and creative images into your already well-written piece would give this power.

If you don't plan on doing anything with it, though, I wouldn't really bother.

Alright, that's enough from me.
Nice job, Jack.

Lyndsey




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 17580
Reviews: 798

Donate
Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:59 pm
Areida says...



No problem. I'm really behind on my critiquing. *glances sheepishly at Snoink*

How's your NaNo progressing? I mean, besides your astronomical wordcount. :P




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:36 pm
Firestarter says...



Thanks so much Ari! Your comments were really nice and great.

I'm really tempted to do NaNo in first person (I keep reading books in first person and I like the way you can do things with it) but I'm gonna refrain from it for now because I have two seperate storylines at the beginning.




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 17580
Reviews: 798

Donate
Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:45 pm
Areida says...



I've been promising you I'd comment for what, more than two weeks now? Well here I am, finally getting around to it. Sorry I'm such a lazy dork face. XD

The grass is wet. Not like a soaking, flooding kind of wet, but the type that you get when heavy dew forms, and it’s dark, and your trainers don’t look like they’re wet but your socks and hence your feet get freezing cold and it’s piss annoying.

Haha, that's great. Your narrator has such a distinctive voice already, which is nice. He's sarcastic and caustic, but observant too. That's spiffy.

The air is cold to, and if it wasn’t for my warm hoody I’d probably be inside like the rest of them.

I think Claudette already caught this typo (in fact, I think she covered most of the typos), but don't forget to fix the to vs. too. And is hoodie spelled with an 'ie' even if it's singular? Hmm. It looks weird either way. Oh well.

But for some reason I get hyped up for a party beforehand, thinking of the people I could see; then I get there, and I realise all those people suck, and all I really want it to drink some crappy wine, sit outside and watch the stars twinkle in the dark sky, and then get really lonely, probably quite drunk, and just about manage to walk home and collapse on my bed. For some reason I do this every time there’s a party, and I still come back every time.

I liked this. I'm not a drinker and I don't go to big parties, but I understand this feeling. You want to get together with friends and get all excited about going out and doing stuff, but once you're there you don't want to talk to anyone and sit there and wonder why you wanted to come at all. You captured this feeling nicely.

“Yeah,” I answer, and turn round, noticing the guy has ginger hair. I can’t remember knowing anybody with ginger hair. “How the hell do you know that?”

Ginger. Hee hee. That's such a British thing - I love it. I don't know anyone that describes color as ginger. This made me happy.

“We went to Primary School together, man! We were like best friends for five years or so.”

Does primary school need to be capitalized if it's not a specific school? Maybe that's different in the UK, but I think it's supposed to be lower case.

It went quiet. Not a nice quiet. Not one of those nice silences where everybody is smiling and there’s this joint knowledge of satisfaction. It wasn’t one of those times. Instead I just felt strange; I didn’t feel like I’d changed. I still felt like the confused ten-year old kid who thought girls were weird.

I liked this paragraph too.

I lied before. There was another reason I came to these parties. You could spell it with five letters. Two Es, an L, and an A. Otherwise known as Elena.

I liked this too (wow, are we feeling repetition here? lol). It fit with your character - to lie one minute and then randomly tell the truth a moment later with very in-your-face honesty.

As I was walking down to the wood, I could hear some laughter. It was a girl’s. Probably someone talking on a mobile phone. They always came out here to do that, and I hated it, because I wanted the wood to myself so I could get drunk and not have any people get in the way of my plans. I hated interruptions, or obstacles.

I stopped in my tracks when I realised the girl was Elena, wearing a patterned green dress, with some jeans underneath.

The irony is delicious.

I didn’t really have any idea what she was talking about, but it sounded clever. That’s why I loved Elena, anything she said, even if she was talking about your name, it never sounded wrong.

That's such a teenage crush thing; I love it.

“She wants me back by midnight. I think she forgot it was the 1990s, and thinks we’re back to the 1850s or something,” she replied, frowning.

The double mention of the 1990s felt awkward to me, like you were trying to make some big point of it being 199something instead of the 21st century. Is it important to the storyline? If not, I'd consider omitting it. I found it distracting.

“You wish.” I was trying to sound cool, but it came out weird.

Ugggghhhh... How many times have I done this? I love and hate it when writing makes me cringe because it reminds me so strongly of something I've done in real life. So points for being vivid and realistic; points off for making Ari uncomfortable. :P

“What a wonderful and exciting life you lead, Mister Holland. If only I could share it with you.”

I couldn’t think of what to say. “Uh … you wish.”

LOL!

“You’re like the opposite of every boy that I know. You’re overly cynical, you crave to be alone, your lack confidence, even if you try to pretend you have it. It’s sort of … attractive. Not in the kind of oh-Mister-William-Holland I have just met the guy of my dreams, you will make me so happy, let’s plan our future right now, scary girly way. But the kind of meeting each other in the middle of a wood on a Saturday night way.”

This girl is so weird. She's one of those people I'd probably halfway hate in real life because she's so smooth - one of those types that makes people like me look and feel even more awkward. I like her as a character, though.

Your dialogue is fantastic. The back and forth is very well done. I get annoyed when people try to toss too much description into their dialogue because they think I want to know exactly what the characters are doing with their hands or how they're breathing as they talk. If it's not important, just leave it to me to fill it in! You did that, and it was nice. Thanks. :D

Overall, I thought it was a nice snapshot moment. Short stories where the author tries to throw in every detail about their main character's life are so annoying. You know, the type where they have to oh-so-smoothly insert a comment about his parents, twerpy younger sister, brilliant cousin, sadistic teacher, and loyal, floppy-eared dog? Yeah, those are annoying. And by not doing that, you made happy! Yay, Jack! Thanks for the read and I hope at least some of these comments were coherent. :D




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Firestarter says...



Wow, thanks Claudette! I totally forgot about this story. Don't worry about being nitpicky -- it was probably full of mistakes because I didn't check over it at all. It was just a quick freewrite.

Ari >> Don't worry 'bout it. But thanks for the bump! :)

Cass >> Thank you! Yeah, I get you on the James bit. I probably should have related it more. If I was to edit it, that part would probably be taken out in favour of something better.

Vamp >> Thanks for reading. I'll definitely think about stretching the conversation out further. I'm sure I could do more with it.




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:47 pm
Emerson wrote a review...



The air is cold to, and if it wasn’t for my warm hoody I’d probably be inside like the rest of them.
too

and all I really want it to drink some crappy wine
is

I'm being nit picky, for you jack :-D I really liked the way your character described his party going habits in the....third paragraph? no, second.

It takes like crap.
tastes? Either Your brain was off, or my brain is off and I don't understand any of this.

You know, have you ever heard that people automatically have bad responses to certain names if they know a person with that name they don't like? I have an ex friend names Elena. I choked when I read that. Nice one! lol. I'll read it anyhow, though.

I know how the charm a girl anyway
to

flipped her mobile shut and slid it into jean pocket.
into her jean pocket.

Now this one is just me being argumentative:
El did sound crap.
it works like this, but would it be better, 'like crap'?

It anything, I’d probably be glad, because at least she’d stop being clandestine and release her true passion to the world at last, so everybody could fucking see it.
if. and you repeated 'at least' oh wait...no, its 'at last' the second time. My brain doesn't see it like that...

and I’d say we’d could do this again but it’s doubtful you’ll ever find me in a wood
it's like you doubled could!

I enjoyed it so much, that I could only pick apart the words and grammar, lol. I loved the story.... I connected to it in such a good way, you do amazing with emotions and all that jazz. I wish this were a novel, I'd like to see more of William.




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 17580
Reviews: 798

Donate
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:44 am
Areida says...



Sorry I still haven't done this. I stink, I know.

Just wanted to give this a bump up so hopefully someone else will be reading it and commenting while I'm getting my comments together. :)




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 17580
Reviews: 798

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:21 am
Areida wrote a review...



Yay! Jack did contemporary fiction!

I have to say that I am most definitely intrigued, and very excited that you posted this. I did notice a few things I thought could be tweaked here and there to make it better, but I really enjoyed my first read-through of it. Forgive the brevity of this post; I have to get to bed.

But I promise I'll come back this weekend and give you a proper critique. :D




User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:31 am
Cassandra wrote a review...



You make me want to give your main character a big hug and tell him it will all get better eventually. And I want to punch Elena in the face. But in a good way! :P

Read through and you'll catch a couple of grammar mistakes. There weren't too many, but I'm not going to point them all out. According to your Squills post, that's not the point of a critique, is it? ;)

The whole James thing felt really out of place...like, I expected it to be important later on, but it wasn't. And it doesn't really add on to the whole Elena/Will thing going on, so that's the one spot where it sort of lacks relevance.

But I did enjoy the rest. An interesting and compelling main character; one that made me want to keep reading this straight through to the end.

And the ending. Unexpected and brilliant.

Nice work for just a quick bit of flash fiction, Jack.




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 34

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:07 am
VampX13 wrote a review...



I like it. Reminds me of a cast party and my sometimes dearly pathetic boyfriend.

However there are a few things that need tidying. Sometime it's overly descriptive.

I would comment on the overuse of "and" but I happen to think first-person pieces don't have to be perfect when it comes to vocabulary. You could however stretch the meeting between William and Elena a bit more.

Still (even with flaws) I am still quite fond of it.





I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless