z

Young Writers Society



Bandit: Prologue

by Firestarter



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
488 Reviews


Points: 3941
Reviews: 488

Donate
Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:13 pm
Meshugenah wrote a review...



(yes, I finally have time to sit down and do this, and am not skiving off a bunch of hw in the process)

ok. the first time I read this, I almost screamed COMMA'S! now, I don't have to (aka, I thank you for that). Now. Nit-picks, and yes, I'm in critique mode, as Sam likes to say.

It was obvious that with no guards walking alongside the carriage there would be a few scouting ahead and a couple scouring the nearby countryside for potential risks. This was a dangerous area and doubtless the passengers had made suitable precaution

sounds contradictory. no guards implies weakness, but then you say that means there must be guards of some sort, and scouting ahead. what if this group was especially stupid, or didn't know the area? then would they know to bring guards? unless you character likes toerr on the side of caution, and assume the worst possibility, but it's still a bit confusing. or, you could state the later bits of the paragraph first, and then the first part, and avoid any confusion, and nit-picks like me.

He had always worked alone. The Lone Marauder they call him. 50,000 silver pieces, dead or alive.

tense. call should be called, I believe. well, it could work either way.. but I'd stick with called.

And then it came – a hardly audible sound of boot hitting the ground, but he felt the tremble against his pressed-down ear.

when did he press his ear to the ground? and then, right after this, you change from past to present tense, "jumps" instead of jumped. actually, this entire paragraph likes to just around from past to present and then back.. same with the next.. intentional?

ok, tense keeps jumping around.. not sure if you meant to do that or not.. it annoys me a little, but the effect is kinda cool, but I'd stick with one tense for now (unless it's thoughts, speech, yadda yadda, you know that, though).

Fresh from another murder, he wipes blood from his blade using his sleeve. He doesn’t even take another glance at the young man that he has just killed. Back to the edge of the tree line. The carriage has moved on some distance and if he waits too much longer it will be lost in the vast empty meadows that filled the next few miles. No place for an ambush. No robbery.

first sentence is awkward. rest is just a bit.. like thoughts. different than other parts. good effect, but a little confusing if read fast.

hehe, nice ending.

name.. interesting. quite interesting. now. more?

oh yes..what hunter said.. I agree. that and tense! please, tense!

ok, bek done and out.




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:30 pm
Sam says...



There we go! Much better. :D




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:12 pm
Firestarter says...



Thanks Sam. I've edited that and a few other bits if you would mind taking another look.




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:25 pm
Sam wrote a review...



Very nice.

'And then it came – the hardly audible sound of boots against the ground, but he felt the tremble against his pressed-down ear. Just over ten yards to his left. Maybe a little more. Too little time to think. Closing in. Jumping up, knife unsheathed, darting behind his man, he cuts.'

This section was awkward, because you never tell of any movement. We still think he's ten yards away from the other dude. (Unless he's got way long arms XD.) And, you might want to use a different word from 'cuts'- perhaps 'slices'. I thought he was slitting his wrists for a moment there...part of the confusion was with the no-action thing. I still would change it to slices though. :wink:

I love the highwayman thing. It rocks so hard...




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:01 pm
Sam says...



Ahh, sorry! I didn't see this! Anyway, I'm going to critique after school...so yeah. See you then.




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:36 am
Firestarter says...



Thanks. I start plenty of sentences with "And" and "Because". I don't care much for those rules. I always use a lot of fragments. *shrug*

And yeh Hunter, I'm definitely gonna be working on this.




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 34

Donate
Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:11 am
concertchick16 says...



'And this was as if gold was dangling in front on his face. "
i thought sentances were never too start with "And"
maybe i'm wrong
but i really liked it, he sounds cool...lol




User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 267

Donate
Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:40 am
Boni_Bee wrote a review...



oooo, dramatic! :? :) It only had my full attention in some parts, but I like the cold, malicious way he does everything. Next bit please! Lol :)




User avatar
576 Reviews


Points: 6371
Reviews: 576

Donate
Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:28 am
Ego wrote a review...



Totally digging this story so far, Jacko.

My only peeve on this one is the action--it switches from stuff like "the blood was wiped from the blade," to "he drew his pistols." Maybe I'm being over critical, but I don't care for the inconsistency of the action. To be consistent, you'd need to say "he wiped the blood from his blade."

...Ah, screw it. Nice start buddy. You gonna do any more?





"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening