ah ces terribles chevaux gris

by Firestarter

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:30 am
filmcanister wrote a review...

your opening made me think of a beating heart. this idea should be carried on throughout the rest of the piece, because it can work in so many ways. generally, the first stanza is very HUMAN. the last line is so natural, with the waves etc, it should almost go later.

in regards to the later, perhaps there is a reason for introducing the animalization of humans in battle in the second stanza, and then the, uhm, disintegration into basic geography by the last stanza. the degredation over time.

though i am quite fond of those last two lines. quite fond.

Firestarter says...

Well, it was purposely romantic. I've been reading too many British historical books recently and I've just felt even more patriotic than usual, so this was really just a glorification.

If you're referring to the last two lines as the "ending fell apart" I found it suitable to leave the last words to Napoleon.

Incandescence wrote a review...

I did not like this because : A. It was too romantic and B. The ending fell apart. The rhyme scheme in the second stanza, intentional or not, was disruptive to the flow of the poem. All this aside, I like the poem's message, but think you could have done it without so many adjectives.

Firestarter says...

Yeh, I reckon that's why no-one has commented, because they don't really understand the topic.

ohhewwo wrote a review...

Interesting...

It sort of has that vague prophetic feel to it, if you know what I mean. Not that that's a bad thing. It's also got some rather sybolic lines in it.

Maybe if I knew more about European history, then I would be able to get more out of this piece. It was a good poem, though.

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus