z

Young Writers Society



Bandit: Chapter 1

by Firestarter


me to query the baffling answer.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:22 pm
Sam says...



Ohh, and Jack [especially if your readers are history geeks and are up on 18th century slang], the Half-Cocked Boy could be interpreted maaaaany different ways.




User avatar
506 Reviews


Points: 9907
Reviews: 506

Donate
Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:11 pm
Sureal wrote a review...



Cool. I was bit confused at first, but once I got a feel for the speech this was a good read :).

The detective work was interessting to read and paced well.

My only real complaint is that the victim's name is Joe. Simply because the name is similiar to Jeremy, which confussed me, so that I thought that it was the carriage that was attacked and that Jeremy (who, at that point, I thought was called Joe) was dead.
If... that makes any sense to you...




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:35 am
Sam wrote a review...



Ah, very nice. One thing irked me though:

'Captain McKenna rolled the body over with his foot and stared down at the clean cut on the man’s throat. “He’s good,” McKenna murmured to his compatriot, “Very good.”

The other man grunted in reluctant agreement. “We’ll still catch him either way. No one has ever escaped us yet.”

McKenna crouched down to the immobile figure, and inspected the cut across his throat.;'

As you can see, you use the phrase 'the cut across the throat' twice. It's rather clunky, so change it...

Other than that, pretty cool!




User avatar
488 Reviews


Points: 3941
Reviews: 488

Donate
Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:06 pm
Meshugenah wrote a review...



hmm.. trust us to help you, eh? *shakes head* if you say so :p

Now, for my comments, concerns, complaints, and all other of the like.

. “And why, pray tell, do you think I should take this child with me on my journeys?”

.. I won't say it.. I won't say it.. Why "pray tell"? Now, for nit-picks. right after this, you have "he inquired, adding..." etc. the "he inquired" part I find unnecessary. but that's me (and being majorly picky).

How old is this girl? I get the impression you're not saying for a reason.. or she really is a child and I'm, as per the norm, reading into things where there's nothing to find. Either way.

other than that.. no real nit-picks, unless you want me to break out a green pen. more?





Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket