z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Girl in the Hall

by speakerskat


Mixtures of ink

and cologne stained skin

navy converse

and the blaring

sound of french horn

whispers of a life

echoing in the background

a high-school life

of a quiet girl

whose pen dances

across the page

and reaches out

to all her peers,

yet touches no one.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun May 28, 2017 12:08 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review on Review Day.

You could definitely call this poem effective at making the reader feel something. Or at least, this poem made me feel something. At the same time, I'm confused as to what you're attempting to get across with this poem. It seems that you're trying to portray this scene or atmosphere with a quiet girl in high school, writing alone. The last four to five lines seem to suggest that this girl that is described is asking for help or reaching out for help in her writing, yet it never gets across to her friends.

The reason as to why it's touching no one seems to be that they either never notice her pleas or that her friends never noticed them. Regardless of what those lines are supposed to mean, I think that I can say that I'm a fan of this poem, simply for the atmosphere that is portrayed or depicted here. The cologne and ink. The navy converse. The noises that attribute to the background of this girl's writing.

All of these details build on the atmosphere, and the only complaint is that there could have been more. These details that are here are a little bit scarce since the poem is so short. Overall though, it's a nice piece even if the overarching theme that you were attempting to get across is a little bit lost. I'd like to know what message you're attempting to portray with this poem, and once you do that, this poem will be an even more solid one. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Image




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 724
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun May 28, 2017 2:07 am
Timasaurus007 wrote a review...



At points it is somewhat confusing in its expression, such as the end of line 2, and the start of line 3, perhaps insert a comma or full stop to allow it to flow easier. It is also prevalent with "sound of french horn", it sounds rather disjointed and clunky. I also think starting a line, even if its a continuation of a sentence with a connective (such as 'and') is a bad idea, but that is subjective. I would also say that you should experiment with new words, not only to enhance your poem, but achieve a greater grasp on your vocabulary, however your poem seems to benefit from its simplicity, especially as it is about a girl at a high school, so I think it fits well!

I like the ideas, a young girl is busy writing and expelling all her emotions to those around her, yet they're too enthralled by the aforementioned sounds, and only the girl can see the mysticism of the ink and paper. She is alone in her ideas because no one wants to heed them, no one cares, they're much too preoccupied in their own nonsense. Or rather, that is what I thought the message was attempting to convey.

It's petite, easy to read and still offers a degree of sophistication.




User avatar


Points: 266
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 am
Parkahar says...



Hi I am prakhar your title is a good one but yup have to work on your poem still i like how you described that eyes and all that but still it is a good one I am impressed from your poem





If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig