Behold!

by Radrook

Behold the strength of hand!!

God lives throughout the land.

His miracles are here for all to see.

He thunders with his voice.

Let’s worship and rejoice.

Sin gallops fast away and we are free.

-

Behold the mighty hour.

God demonstrates his power.

Vile Death no longer rules as twisted king.

He’s now attired in chains

to do no harm again.

Let’s praise our righteous God who did this thing.

-

No longer does a child

in sickness cry out wild,

not understanding why it has to be

that brought into the light

he’s threatened with the night

and having seen he can no longer see.

-

No longer do the lame

cry out in crippled pain:

“Help us Lord Jesus we have need of you!"

They run like the gazelle.

In health they all now dwell

and worship the creator just and true.

-

Look! There within the pit

the evil one. He sits

gnashing his black teeth in bloody pain.

With chains as thick as Mars

tight-bounded are his arms.

All has transpired exactly as was writ.

-

The Earth is all aglow.

God’s spirit flows and flows.

It courses through the minds of all who live.

God’s image tht is man

from elephant to ant

Yes, all Jehovah’s spirit have received.

-

No longer does the bear

the small lamb’s visage tear

or lion roar against the suckling kid.

Before the biggest snake

a child no longer quakes

Of fear our lord has all the earth now rid.

-

And there! The dead arise

before our wondering eyes,

dear mothers, fathers, brothers greet us now.

They bow before the throne

of God who this has done,

who on their darkened foreheads light bestowed.

-

No sorrow, no more war

No thunder and no gore.

to mar the footstool of God’s glorious throne.

No savage shouts or cries.

No need for us to die.

For God permits it not beneath his sun.

-

And look! Our bodies too,

now always remain new,

fresh as the moment we saw light of day.

As Adam we all are

beneath applauding stars

and sin no longer stains our blessed clay.

-

He’s kept his every word

to scientists absurd

But what knew they for they were good as blind,

What knew they of his truth

from Genesis to Ruth

to Revelation speaking of this time?

-

What knew these scientists

ín all their mental mist

in atheism steeped up to their nose?

What knew they in their pride?

For them all had been tried.

“The way things went he said so now they go.

-

Yet glorious is God’s name.

Swift Armageddon came.

as thief in night just as the Lord had said.

and modern cities fell

where sinful mankind dwelled

and many were the bodies of the dead.

-

and arms went up in fright

as day screamed into night

and night no longer brought the deep of sleep.

And trampled were all they

that fled that fateful day

when goats were separated from the sheep.

-

But then the morning came,

and purifying rain

poured from the holy heavens crystal clear.

Huge rainbows were aglow

Pure peace was with us now

and no one felt no longer any fear.

-

Now brilliant are the skies

for loving are his eyes

Caressing all the rivers and the hills

The wind his holy breath

has blowing away cruel death

and with his righteousness the earth is filled.

-

Grab hold eternal time

It is now yours and mine.

Take hold infinity that beckons us.

Beyond us, see, it waits

This is our glorious fate

for Earth no longer is the way it was.

-

Infinity’s the charm

Grab hold his mighty arm

His holy word is all the map you need..

Beyond are all the blessed

Behind us is the test.

Mighty Jehovah thank you for this deed.

Mathy wrote a review...

Hello there! This is ZeldaIsShiek here to review some more amazing literature and tip the scales in favor of the Red Pandas in order for us to defeat the menace of the Blue team! I am really excited to begin this review. Enough waiting! Nous commencons!

This poem really caught my attention early on because I realized it was very religious from the portrayal of God in this poem. Though I would not like the term "atheist" to be placed upon me, I find the existence of a deity unlikely, so you'd think this poem would not click with me. However, I got a Jehovah's Witness vibe early on, and when I saw the name "Jehovah" used in this, I realized that you are a Jehovah's Witness. And to that I say... cool! I'm glad to see you are so interested in poetry! It is a bit of a trigger for me for reasons better left unmentioned, but I definitely respect you as a Witness and my friend, and I can relate to you on a deeper level than most people for this. I used to go to Kingdom Halls and believe in Jehovah, so I understand this poem a lot.

I really love this poem and I especially love your use of imagery and amazing word choice to deliver an age-old message. I hope you keep writing for the rest of your life and you never stop until the resurrection. Though you may believe in something different than I do, I still love this poem and am ecstatic to find out that we have a religion (at least I used to be a publisher) in common. Have a great day! ZeldaIsShiek- OUT!

P.S. I was never baptized as I am 14. I am not an "apostate" (though by the dictionary definition I am) and I will never try to change your religion. I am not disfellowshipped. You can still talk to me.
:D

Radrook says...

Thanks for the feedback and encouraging words.
I am no longer an active member of that organization and haven't attended in a very long time. However, I am a Christian. That s to say, I believe that Jesus was the Son of God and died for our sins and that salvation is impossible without that Ransom sacrifice.

Mathy says...

Thank you for replying! I am so glad to hear that you don't hate me now for reviewing this. I have had a few bad experiences with members and family treating me like an idiot or a drug addict all the time because I know the truth about the organization's corruption...

Mathy says...

You're lucky you weren't born into it. All of your family would have permanently shunned you and you would have lost everything...

...Anyway, on a happier note, happy Review Day! I can not wait to review your newer works! Keep writing! I ~secretly~ love your writing style!

Hi Radrook, hope you're doing well today - I thought I'd take a look at this poem today

A few sort of nit-picky suggestions that stood out in my first reading of the piece:

In stanza 1 -

This poem's title is "behold", it promises to be about apocalyptic/new millennial events, therefore you have the reader's attention. It doesn't add much to put in the exclamation marks at the beginning (especially the double exclamation, as this is redundant). I'd take those out. I like the rhyming you've got from the beginning though.

In stanza 2 -

While not completely necessary, I'd recommend a capital letter on "his" for it refers to God. And maybe even capitalizing "death" because this would clarify that you are referring to the personification of death rather than God when you say someone is in chains.

In a few stanzas you begin with the phrase "no longer" and for me it gets a bit too repetitive because it doesn't seem to add that much with the repetition of the phrase, you might want to change it up a bit as readers start to pass quickly items that they think they've previously read.

There were a few typos here and there:

In these two lines:
"and arms went up in fright

as day screamed into night" I think "and" should be capitalized as it follows a complete sentence.

And in the very last stanza you run into the issue of not consistently capitalizing "His" -- I understand the reasoning for capital or not-capitalized, but would recommend you remain consistent. There's also a "zero" after the word "map".

Plot
Now on the actual plot of the piece! I think you did a really good job keeping the language accessible to non-religious folks and religious folks alike. While I am well-versed in Revelations, not everyone is, so I think you had a good level of balance with the Biblical references not being too obscure or difficult to understand.

Another issue that often comes up in Revelations/Apocalyptic literature is people don't quite know how to balance the horror with the promise. I liked that you began with some positive reflections before launching into the more doom and gloom side -- then ended on a really positive note, with God victorious over all of eternity. Actually I think my favorite stanza in the piece was the second to last one, the sentence about "infinity beckoning" us is a great take on the piece and serves as a little bit of a call to action too.

The story flowed well throughout, and I think you maybe leaned a bit on the "positive" side of apocalyptic literature, there could have been a bit more of the doom/gloom imagery -- but you had a bit of that as well.

I will note there were a few stanzas that felt repetitious where it seemed like the same information was being repeated in different ways. I mostly ran into this in the middle of the piece, while the opening and closing stanzas I felt like held their own.

There were rhymes here and there that I thought were a bit forced -- mostly I noticed they came in the final lines of a stanza.

I'll drop a few below:
"Let’s praise our righteous God who did this thing." (<- "thing" is vague and casual language)

The stanza that beginning with "Look! There within the pit" you rhyme "pain" with "writ" and it feels like a stretch.

The line lengths and flow overall though was pretty good, didn't notice any big issues standing out as I read.

I hope you find this review helpful, please let me know if you have any questions about it.

alliyah

This review has been brought to you by

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review. Will consider all you said.

alliyah says...

You're welcome! Nice piece!

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate