Home » Literary works » Poetry » Science Fiction

Time Machine

by Radrook

There was a man in a far off land

who built a time machine.

He tuned it fine until the time

appropriate for him.

And when it seemed like every ream

and bolt was in its place,

he sat he down in early dawn

and shot through time and space.

He grit his teeth and couldn't breath

and thought that he would die.

His eyes bulged out and he gave shouts

and baby-like he cried.

And then a blast and very fast

the vehicle was displaced

upon a cliff above a rift

dividing time and space.

He grumbled at what he had got

so turned the dials again.

But nothing moved and in that groove

he firmly stuck, remained.

He still sits there upon his chair

not knowing what to do.

Sometimes he blinks. Sometimes he thinks.

And sometimes he just chews.

Sometimes he counts, sometimes he mounts

imaginary steeds.

Sometimes he moans, sometimes he groans,

while sometimes he just breathes

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:04 pm
HollyM64 wrote a review...

I'm always game for interesting poems, so this is right up my street! The rhyme scheme was suitably quirky, the stanza lengths were just right and the poem had a good overall flow. The pacing and rhythm were also excellent, in the words of the best English teacher I've ever had, you could feel the heartbeat of the poem. Really nice work!

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review. Really appreciate he feedback!

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pm
SavannahSamford wrote a review...

Hey, Savannah here, writing a quick review!

I love the quirky rhyme scheme and enjoyed reading it quite a bit, it's definitely fun for the imagination! You did a terrific job at telling he story through the poem and tying it up quite nicely, I thought that it was really well done. I can only point out/notice one thing that really throws it off balance, grammar-wise, and kind of stuck with me.

In the fourth line of the fifth stanza, "he firmly stuck remained." feels really off-putting without the commas to separate the adjective phrase to describe how he remained. I think it would flow much better with the changes being, "he, firmly stuck, remained." Perhaps it's just me? That's the only thing that really stuck out from the rest of the poem, which was really well written otherwise!

Something I loved was, instead of using the more general iambic pentameter to construct the poem, it follows a general 8-6 meter measure, where every other line is constructed, loosely, of 8 syllables per line, and every other line following that is loosely constructed using 6 syllables. It gives it a really unique feel and a steady rhythm that I don't think I've seen anywhere else.

Keep up the great work! I'd love to read some more of your poetry! :D

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review and encouragement. Much appreciated. I added the comma so that it reads better. Thanks for the help.

Anytime, thanks for sharing it, it was cute and cool! I loved it!

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 pm
Temptress wrote a review...

Temptress here to give a review!

So I overall thought this poem was very well written and it only has one or two things I'd like to point at.

So the first thing was this sentence, "He grit his teeth and couldn't breathe." I don't know if was intentional but I feel like where "He" is it would sound better with the word "He'd" but however that is nothing but my personal opinion.

The second thing is that after "Sometimes he blinks, and sometimes he thinks. And sometimes he just chews." The last sentence is this part seems misplaced and to me it throws off the rhyme sceam.

So that's all for now.

Until next time!

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review. Very much appreciate it. I will give the suggestions serious consideration.

Temptress says...

You're welcome. Your poem was still very good.

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser