My Father owns the universe entire.

by Radrook

My father owns the universe entire.

Attack him and your own existence risk.

He is a raging, all-consuming fire.

No power can survive his blazing fist.

-

His reaching hand can never be restrained.

Once he extends it, it will do his will.

His utterance unleashed diluvial rains.

Whatever he decrees becomes fulfilled.

-

His girth is broader than ten billion suns.

His height surpasses distant galaxies.

Before the battle starts, it has been won.

Opposing him is sheer futility.

-

My father owns the universe entire.

Be wise you foolish demons!

Quick! 

Retire!

Wriskypump says...

"Whatever he decrees becomes fulfilled." -- Hey Rad, what if after or below this line you adjoin a little quip (He introduces bewildering directions & impractical odds to Cause spectacle & Marveling over His name!)

;)

Radrook says...

That would be a curious addition indeed!

Mathy wrote a review...

Hello, @Radrook! I am excited to review yet another spiritual poem from a friend who I know as the "Writer of Poems Great and Many". I honestly anticipating this review a lot while reading your poem because, although it is short, it delivers a powerful message that could change the heart of the reader with a snap and alter the course of history. Okay, maybe it's not that good, but we'll see. Let's begin the review.

Before I read that you were the author, I was intrigued by what this poem could be about. Whose father could own the whole universe? My confusion was lifted when I saw your name as the author, because I realized that you were referring to your Heavenly Father, not your biological father. Now let's talk about the writing itself.

I like how the stanzas mirror my own style- a uniform 4-line stanza with an "A B A B" rhyme scheme. It makes your poem feel orderly without restricting the reader's imagination. Though my poems are usually "A B C B", I still feel like this style mimics my own in many ways.

Now let's talk about grammar and spelling. The grammar was practically perfect and I felt no disturbances in the Spelling today. Trust me, it annoys me when people misspell That's all I have time to write today. Have fun during this Review Day, and make sure to help the Red Pandas win!

~ZeldaIsShiek

Radrook says...

Thank you for the review and very encouraging words. Much appreciated.
God bless and be with you always!

Mathy says...

Thank you! Happy Review Day!

Wriskypump says...

Where all the inspiration comes from is Exciting!! Are these difficult to write, or do they just come together rather fast? This is the look we don't usually get, but very much NEED to understand - He is All-Powerful and what he purposes cannot be frustrated one bit

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review and the positive opinion. Much appreciate it. Please note that this poem was written long ago and I no longer write in that style. At the time I wrote it I was very religious and always prayed before and during my writing. I recently came upon it n my collection of poems and for some reason suspected thsat God might want me to share it. So it was with that sense of obligation that I posted it and not because I feel it is flawless. At the time I wrote it I wasn't too experience with poetry. So I expect it to have many flaws. But still I felt that God wanted me to post it. The same applies to the other rhyming religious poems. They are from not recently written. One reason I hesitate in posting religious poems is because of the atheistic backlash that I might provoke. But I guess that is part of being a Christian and refraining isn't what I at present feel is the proper thing to do. Thanks again! God bless!

Wriskypump says...

xD, I'm glad you responded to God's urging!

but none of that talk about being formerly devoted to Him, your focus for a time may just have been jarred, so you are very close to Him and very much please remain so!

Radrook says...

Thanks for the encouraging feedback. Very much appreciated.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:45 am
Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! You already know who I am from those very helpful letters above my name, and I believe we've already been introduced, so I'll skip that part and jump right into this.

I'd like to start by saying that I really love these Biblical poems. As a fellow Christian, I found this really edifying, and it's always nice to see a believer reaching out in faith and confidence and using the talents that God has given them to spread their beliefs, because a strong belief is contagious, and it just really brightens my day, so keep it up :)

His utterance reality sustains.
In poetry, obviously there's quite a bit of leeway to play with the order of words, but in this case, I feel that while the meaning is obvious, it feels unnatural, and the more I read it, the more it seemed to be more confusing than necessary.

Before the battle starts it has been won.
Again, your choice as the poet, but it seems like it would be more natural to add a comma here so there's a natural pause there (between "starts" and "it").

The one critique I have about this poem is it seems that there could be so much more. I think it would really enhance the poem's meaning if you added a stanza about His enemies trembling before him, His mighty hand sculpting the universe, Him sheltering a child in his wings. There's no shortage of small stanzas you could write about the Lord's greatness, and this is on the shorter side, so I think adding a larger arc for the general message could really make this better.

But this is a spectacular start, and I think your rhyming and rhythm were superb here. My biggest grammatical issue would be with your comma usage, but again, there are many different ways to punctuate poems, and it's nearly impossible to critique from an outside standpoint. Keep up the great work, and as always, I'll be around if you have any questions!

Best wishes,
MJ

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review.

Please note that this is meant to be a Shakespearean Sonnet which demands fourteen iambic pentameter lines. True, much more can be mentioned. But and the shortness isn't meant to imply that more cannot be said. It is merely what I chose to say within the restrictions of the sonnet format. I think that what you are envisioning is an ode format such as those used by Keats where the poet can continue on until he feels that all aspects have been thoroughly covered.

I will apply the punctuation advice and fix that line about "existence".

Radrook says...

Thanks for the review.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 am
Desdemona wrote a review...

Hello, Hello! Desdemona of Writing Wookies here for a review!

I am always a bit unsure about religious poetry because I've never really been a very religious person, I am in fact a theist at the moment, but this particular piece calls out to me for reasons I cannot quite fathom. Well done.

This piece flows really very smoothly. No syllable runs odd, no line is too unrelated to the stanza it is in, all in all this piece is excellent work, dedicated to the might and power of the one creator who rules us all. This piece is particularly successful in making me actually feel the presence of something greater than me looking down at me, watching me. I've missed feeling that way. Are you inspired from the Bible quotes you give? Or does your poetry stem from a particular chapter of the Bible? Either way it's absolutely amazing and incredible.

Your pieces are absolutely beautiful and I can already see that you have a great writing future ahead of you! Keep on!

Keep writing, and smile!

Desdemona

Radrook says...

Thank you for the review and the very encouraging words. About the inspiration, I do believe in a creator of all things. The poem is based on that belief and in the power that the creator seems to have at his disposal to deal with any opposition. The Bible verses are used to lend a biblical support to the poetry for those who feel that the Bible is the creator's letter to mankind.

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins