z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Little Big Horn

by Radrook


Crammed in a hole under river embankment,

she waits for the sound of the firing to cease.

Just recent this was but a place of enchantment

with singing of children and warm summer breeze.

-

Just recent the squaws were all warm in their tepees,

the braves all content by their side unaware.

No thunder of hooves of a cavalry sweeping

the hills with persistent malevolent stares.

-

No sound of the scream of a soldier in panic

or trumpet that called for disastrous retreat.

No yelling nor slaughter of others satanic

no dirge at the splurge of cadaverous feet.

-

But only the sun and the clouds and the river,

the trees with their branches and emerald leaves,

the hope of a future that peace would deliver,

harassment that finally forever would cease.

-

She listens while hidden secluded and silent.

She prays that they fire their weapons no more.

She pleads that mankind feel no need to be violent

as the river turns red with the blood and the gore. 

-

Addendum

Here is a film based on what happened:

Son of the Morning Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8O3uDL_W4E&t=71s

Here is an article describing the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Little...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 156

Donate
Mon May 28, 2018 1:29 am
View Likes
KatjaDawn wrote a review...



Hey Radrook, I hope you don't mind if I leave you another review after so many today. I saw that your newest addition to your fine collection of poetry and writings involved a Native American Woman, so I was intrigued and decided to give it a read.

Your poem tells a story that takes place when (presumably) Europeans began taking over the Americas, and in the process, wiping out the Native Americans. Your poem is centered around a Native American woman who is hiding as violence is going rampant. She prays for a time when violence will be no more and the peaceful nature will return to it's ways before the violence.

My Opinion:

Your poem touched my heart deeply. When I first learned the truth behind the history of our country, I was left with a deeply rooted guilt. I knew that I, as a person today, could not have done anything. So my guilt has always been ill-fitted. But it never stopped me from feeling guilty and angry at those who would commit such atrocities, and anyone in general who do such things.

So, whether your intention or not, this poetic story made me empathetic for the woman and those who suffered in this time at the hands of greed and selfishness and evil.

My only suggestion is for the first line, should it have a comma? Or some form of punctuation? Every other line had some except the first.

I really enjoyed this read. It was not only well-written with your choice in vocabulary, but the story was also very touching... I too dream of a day when all violence ceases to exist.

I look forward to reading more of your work soon!

Keep Writing,

-Katja




Radrook says...


Thanks for the review. Glad to know that the story engendered those noble feelings. Thanks for the comma suggestion. I just added it. Here is a film based on that military campaign to bring the Indians into the reservation. You have probably seen t before but just in case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8O3uDL_W4E&t=71s



Random avatar

Points: 173
Reviews: 36

Donate
Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 am
View Likes
GodfreysBouillon wrote a review...



I loved this!

When i saw historical fiction, i knew i had to give it a read.
This poem takes place in one of my favorite eras of history, wars against Indians.

The rhyming scheme is simple and flowing, and allows you to imagine the scene easily.
I do however, have a question.
Why is a woman in the middle of a battlefield? The women were never warriors in native American society, so why is she out there? Also, are you trying to say that the US Cavalry attacked the camp of the indians? Because I think it was the other way if i remember correctly.
if I'm wrong, correct me by all means.

Overall a very good poem on an untouched era in history on this website.
9/10




Radrook says...


Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed the read. Yes, I am aware of all the nuances of the battle. However, please note that I placed this under fiction. In other words historical accuracy was not a concern. Also, the woman might have been forced into seeking that hiding place when she saw them approach and felt that hiding was better than making a run for it. The river running red with blood is the use of hyperbole of course. There are no historical accounts describing the river running red with blood. Also, the only ones that hid that way were certain survivors of Reno's command who had found shelter in the riverbank grottoes after Reno had made a hasty retreat and left them behind.

Yes, the Indians made sure that the women were not exposed to battle. In fact, that was a primary concern and one which Custer was hoping on taking advantage of. So no, I am not claiming this to be factual. I am using fiction to focus on how the Indians felt harassed and would have preferred to be left alone and on the folly of mankind%u2019s inability to resolve things without resorting to violence.

About who attacked whom, this article explains how the battle went.

Here is how the battle went.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... le_Bighorn

This film is also historically accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWYCaGYpm8U


Random avatar


Thank you!



Radrook says...


Here is the link to the entire film.

Son of the Morning Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8O3uDL_W4E&t=71s




"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening