z

Young Writers Society



No Title, Need Ideas, Short so Help me

by Elizabeth


I from the east
You from the west
Me being pale
You being black
I see no problem to this--I hope you don’t either

I have you in my mind all the time
And you have me in yours too
But it is the world around us
That influences our thoughts
And one day I hope to cross the boundary
That my parents have set
So that we both will be happy
One day, one way


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:11 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there.

I see that you've heavily edited this poem heavily since you got the first review, but I still see some issues with it. The message does bother me a bit because you're trying to do one of those heavy, deep messages. Those sorts of poems take a certain element that I don't see here, like there's a lack of serious tone in the presentation. I'm trying to think of the right wording to explain it but there's an overall issue with the wording, which switches between casual and then almost formal.

More on the presentation brings me around to the structure, which is kind of bulky at this point and the lines lack in uniform, disrupting the flow a bit. It took me a bit to get through this, despite how short this is just because the flow just wasn't there. I'd get rid of some of the capitalization to start with, as the easiest edit that anyone can make to have a less awkward feel.

The stanza structure could also be split up further, to keep some of those ideas together and to keep others apart. I think in the second stanza, just split it straight down the middle for the hope of it looking nice together. I also want to talk about the last line of the first stanza, which is the one screwing the most with the flow in that section.

I see no problem to this--I hope you don’t either

Due to a couple of things, here's a format that I would recommend. There's a lot factoring into this and while I've explained some of this so far, it's easiest just to show you.
I see no problem to this-
I hope you don’t either


Then there's the issue with the lack of the title. This is another thing I mostly file under presentation on the basis of how it bothers me and set about a mood to the poem. Whenever I see someone label a poem as "no title" or "nothing" or "asking for suggestions", it does make me question the validity of the poem.

Alright that's all I've got for today.
Happy revmo.
- lizz




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 1160

Donate
Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:52 am
Elizabeth says...



:shoots you:

LOL i know it wasn't the best but you didn't have to KILL IT

:buries the poem:

RIP




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:29 am
Sam wrote a review...



This isn't the greatest poem ever written, but we can live with that, right?

"We come from two different places
I from the east
You from the west"

Redundancy central. Get rid of the first line.

"Our skin colors do not match
Me being pale
You being black"

Another repeat...

"I see no problem to this
I hope you don’t either"

Blend these two lines together by using a hyphen.

"But it is the world around us
That influences our thoughts"

These two lines have nothing to do with any of the lines around them. Perhaps move them after the next two lines.

"And one day I hope to break the boundary
That my parents have set"

Just a question- how do you break a boundary? You say nothing about a fence. Say "cross".

"But yours have opened"

This line is confusing and seems to come out of nowhere. Either fix it or delete it...I'm leaning towards the delete side.

"So that we both will be happy"

See, this last line really just kinda stops abruptly, and leaves us thinking 'did she forget to add in the last lines?" FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!

lol.





It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind