Banana Peels

by SecreteJournalist

*Note- A few months back, I had writers block. So I had KissMe99 tell me a topic. She said banana peels. So, this explains my abstract (and kind of random) poem. I decided to post it, just because it's been sitting in my drafts for 3 months now. *

His warm hand enveloped my freezing one.
A grin just a little larger than my own
fell upon his face as the pink setting sun
began to descend behind the oak tress.

Frigid air brought us closer,
letting two cold bodies come
together to create warmth.
Quietness became our enemy,
him and I both afraid to break it's wall.

Silence followed us,
only broken by feet slapping
across the pavement.
It just had to be broken.
"Where are we going?"
I asked with glee.

His answer wasn't delivered,
for my love was slipping,
tripping,
falling at the blame of
a banana peel.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:34 pm
yakitsa says...

Teehee! This was hilarious! I loved it!

''His answer wasn't delivered,
for my love was slipping,
tripping,
falling at the blame of
a banana peel.''

That. Was. Amazing! The way the last line was so solemn and sincere.

''"Where are we going?"
I asked with glee.''

I like the use of the word 'glee' here!

I look forward to more!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 pm
Spotswood wrote a review...

I loved the serious note it began on and how it was just interrupted and intentionally "ruined" (in terms of the serious tone) by the banana peel :D

My only suggestion would be to maybe include more humour early on, unless, of course, if it was your intention to wait for the end to have the serious tone just demolished by the humour. I was laughing inside. I also loved the way you said it. "Falling at the blame of
a banana peel." You said it so seriously and dramatically! I thought it was great!

Anyway, I found it thoroughly amusing.

Keep writing,

- J.R. Spotswood

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14 pm
Spotswood says...

Keep writing,

- J.R. Spotswood

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:16 pm

This wasn't meant to be on the board... D: *dies*

KissMe99 says...

Bananas are meant to be shared with the world!!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:28 pm
JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi, J.C. here for a review!

I must say, I was very impressed. I honestly did not find anything funny in this poem, except for the fact that you had to include a banana peel.

There is a sort of whimsical feel about the poem, and obviously you weren't trying to write something 'deep and important,' but at the same time there is another whole realm of thoughts I get from reading this.

Love and broken hearts. I'm not even sure if you sat down and planned it out, but it flows effortlessly and the way you've used the banana peel doesn't feel forced at all.

Frigid air brought us closer,
letting two cold bodies come
together to create warmth.
Quietness became our enemy,
both afraid to break it's wall.

If you can write something that good when you're not even trying and have something else entirely on mind, I'd be shocked to see what you can write when you're actually focused! It's beautiful, in so many ways, and though I don't see the humor, I'm laughing because nothing's funny, but it's supposed to be, but yet it's not. I know that doesn't make any sense, but this is a very interesting piece of work.

With the short description you give, this could be a fun, inside joke for anyone who reads it. But I can see where this might be seen as something 'deep and important.' Very well done, I must say!

Thank you SecreteJournalist!

- JC -

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:58 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey Secrete! :)

So banana peels is a totally random thing to write about and the fact that you made a poem about them is awesome. Who knows if I could've done that as well? xD

Anyways, onto le review.

His large hand enveloped my tiny one.

I once received a review that yelled at me for doing this and it's stuck with me ever since. Guys are typically larger than girls, no? So of course his hand is going to be larger than hers and by you having to state it makes me think that his hand is the size of a giant's and hers the size of a mouse. Not good. Not the image you're trying to get across.

Instead, describe how they feel. Whose point of view is this from? Either way, describe how his hands differ in comparison to hers. Are his calloused from working hard? If so, then how does the texture feel against her lotioned ones?

both afraid to break it's wall.

Be specific. Who is "both"? Also, it's should be its*

across the cement pavement.

Use one or the other. Both together is too descriptive.

a yellow banana peel.

"Yellow" does this line no justice. We already know bananas are yellow. Tell us something new. IS it moldy? Stained with brown spots? Rotten?

Okay, so I feel like this poem could do with some more imagery. Things like the sun and the trees are stated so simply. Describe to us how the sun looks when it's setting below the trees, shining through the branches. Tell us what kind of trees and how they look. Especially work on using descriptive details, but cut out words that you don't need so the poem stays small and straight to the point.

I'm afraid the whole point of this poem was lost on me. The narrator and her man were happy in the beginning of this poem as it talked about hands-in-hands and sun setting, and then something about the quietness being their enemy comes in. What does that mean? Are they not communicating enough? Why is the silence a bad thing?

And then the narrator says that "it just had to be broken" but isn't that a good thing? Because how can a relationship work with no communication? Then the narrator is slipping on a banana peel. Does this mean she fell out of love? And what does the banana signify? A mistake, a sudden change or events, a sudden change of heart? Because in my mind, I see that slipping on a banana peel means that she was taken by surprise and fell out of love for any reason. Is that what this poem is about?

I felt that the transitions were choppy, so work on making the flow smoother there. They didn't tie in well with each other.

But other than that, this was nice. It had a story that was told, and while it was a bit confusing, it was still nice to hear. ^^

Hope this helps.

~Iggy

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink