z

Young Writers Society



Moving On

by SecreteJournalist


"The loved one is gone,
it is time to move on!"
they would say.
Thinking they were sympathetic,
I find that plain pathetic.

So sure,
the loved one is gone.
That part is not wrong.
But moving on,
it takes a lot of effort,
and plenty of commitment.

But even by moving on,
would that leave
the deceased justice?
To me,
the spirit is still there,
it really just is.

No one could tell me otherwise.

So leaving a spirit in need,
I find that a crime of greed.
For the poor thing
probably does not remember
how it actually died.

It probably sits in confusion,
frustration, and sadness.
Thinking that the whole situation,
is just one big mess.
A mess of tears,
endless searches through the heart
of busy and wild cities,
bursting with people.

Then it may search the country,
looking to see if it will recognize
a home it once belonged to.
Hoping there is a clue,
even an old,
stinky shoe.

So I find it is my job,
to give this spirit,
its final peace of mind,
its true time to rest.
But this is a hard job,
I have to put myself to the test.
To see if I am worthy.
If I can sweat through the
millions,
billions,
of people.

People who call me crazy.
Say its
"No use,
just give up!"
But I find that just
being rather lazy.


But sometimes,
I lie in bed,
shivering on a warm night.
Stepping out of bed,
flipping on a light.
Thinking...
and wondering...
and worrying...
if I am wrong.

Is it really time to move on?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 7136
Reviews: 191

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:56 pm
View Likes
Nargles wrote a review...



Hey, so this is not bad, you have some good ideas here that need to be built on and improved.
I am going to be harsh but hopefully it will help and you don't mind to much.

So, while I was reading this poem it went through stages of being really light and fun to being rather sad and dark. I don't know if this was intended but I felt as if you had to many different moods and tones. Focuse on one and portray that through the writing, by flow, language, imagery etc.
You want this to be a serious, emotional poem but I found it hard to take it seriously, for example this line
"Hoping there is a clue,
even an old,
stinky shoe."
I couldn't take seriously, I actually laughed at this. Now, I don't know what you meant by this, I think it's about being happy with finding any sign or clue about how to grief and so on, but I simply couldn't take it seriously.

Also, you need more emotion. I found it very hard to connect in anyway to this poem and what the person was feeling. I think it is because you are very vague with who the persona is grieving and the spirit itself, while this may be intentional because you want to talk about people everywhere finding it hard to get over a persons passing you could still have used genric terms such as mum, dad, brother etc. It would make the reader connect more to the poem if they could relate to a person in it.

You need to watch your grammar and punctuation, there are several places you need to fix up. So just read through and do a bit of an edit.

I could comment on a few more stuff but the stuff I have is the main things. They aren't specifics, rather general things to work on. So if you want me to go over more specefic things PM me and I happily will.

Overall you have a good poem with a nice theme that I think has a lot of potential, the more you write the more you will improve. It is about realising your weaknesses and improving on them.
Great job and keep writing!
Nargles xxx

P.S feel free to PM me if you have any queries or questions or just need some help :)




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 pm
View Likes
Juniper wrote a review...



Hey there, Secret Journalist, I'm June,

I think it's really cool of you to write a poem about a feeling that I'm sure many of us can relate to. From a strictly literal standpoint, there were a bit of things about the poem that stood out to me. Let's have a look, shall we?

• Your rhyme scheme is spotty, at best -- I'll be the first person to admit that I'm a huge advocate for people ditching rhyming in poetry because freestyle tends opens up a new world of creativity. However, if you ARE going to use rhyme, I would strongly recommend restructuring this poem so that the rhyme is coherent and contributes to the overall meaning of the poem. If you're having difficulty, you could think of attending one of the YWS poetry workshops.

• Present your ideas in new, innovative ways -- everyone one has endless gardens of creativity to pick through when it comes to poetry. Getting your message across clearly is one thing, but getting it across creatively sometimes has the potential to create a double-layered poem that both narrates a story, but illustrates your feelings.

I think that your poem was okay, but there are a lot of places where the poem just doesn't flow. I think you stayed a little too long in some spots, mulling over the same idea, when instead, you could water the plants of your imagination garden and let your images do all the talking.

xx June




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:39 pm
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



Hmm. This poem presents an interesting situation, and maybe presents two interesting situations. I'm not sure. The beginning and the end of this poem make me think of a single character and a single event where this person had to deal with the death of a loved one and didn't want to move on. I was ready, especially from this point:

But even by moving on,
would that leave
the deceased justice?
To me,
the spirit is still there,
it really just is.


To go along with their emotional journey and watch as they came to a decision.

What was odd for me was that the middle of the poem seemed to describe a person who'd chosen a profession as a medium or something like that. Usually when people have trouble moving on after death, they think of the loved one's spirit exactly as they were in life, not some clueless, lost orb of spirit. So it was so odd to transfer from one feeling of plot to another. I can't believe that someone would think of their dead grandfather the same way ghost hunters think of spirits as manifestations that speak into machines and get caught on camera.

But I guess that's up to you. That's the biggest problem I have with that poem: the different stories and tones about dealing with death. Once you decide which one you want to focus on, or whether you need to commit to both, I think this poem will become a lot stronger!

Please lemme know if you have any questions or comments about my review. And keep writing!




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 726
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 am
View Likes
Yazi wrote a review...



I thoroughly enjoyed the poem. I thought the way the poem was structured helped to convey the continuous process of moving on.
The question at the end is a creative way to terminate the poem as well.
Although unusual, the poem is also structure chaotically, but I presume that this is to further convey the disorganization of the state of mind of the speaker in the poem, and therefore it's a good kind of chaos, if that makes sense. It's not a traditional poem with a structure rhyme scheme and that was a really interesting aspect of it.
The poem creates feelings of sympathy in the reader because of the tone it is set in.
As far as grammar there is only one mistake that I've seen and it's just the missing apostrophe in the word *it's* in the 9th stanza.
In conclusion, good job :)




User avatar


Points: 836
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 pm
View Likes
AONAR5 wrote a review...



I thought this was a good way to show the thought process behind "moving on'. It was able to capture the fight between emotion and logic well. There wasn't a particular pattern you stayed consistent to through each stanza, which in a poem like this, does to further illustrate your point. I think that you also did a good job depicting the role of the spirit of the deceased. The only thing I can think of that would improve this would be to indicate the "they" who you refer to more definitively, being as it seems that "they" serve as an impetus for your thought processes through the poem. Overall, very good.





Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus