Language

Defeated

by SecreteJournalist

I've got these bruises that I can't hide.
They mix with the scars I got from all these lies.
Look in my heart, I warn you, it's dark inside.

Got all these memories in my head.
I think of them while I lie in bed.
Can't sleep, I'm thinking of you instead.

This happens all the time.
Your name makes me smile, makes me shine.
I try to be sane around you, normal and in line.

It started maybe months ago.
That feeling about you that I know.
My heart beats faster, then it starts to slow.

I can't tell you I like you at all.
It's a secrete that makes me feel so tall.
If you knew, I would start to fall.

I know, other girls like you too.
I know, it will never happen, me and you.
The thought vexes me, leaves my heart askew.

Every night, alone I am.
Alone to my thoughts, though no one gives a damn.
Too many emotions, it makes my heart slam.

I've been pushed away.
Saved back for a rainy day.
You've defeated my heart, I was your pray.

I learn how to hide my bruises now.
My scars are hidden, don't ask how.
This heart? It's nothing to me. Take it, I allow.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:18 am
KaiTheGreater wrote a review...

Interesting poem. I'm not really into romance, but as far as I can tell (which isn't very far) it looks good, for what it is.

Just a few grammatical and spelling errors, such as:

"Look in my heart, I warn you," - That first comma should probably be a semi-colon, and you might want to say "into" instead of "in".
"It's a secrete that makes me feel so tall." - "Secrete" is actually spelled "secret".
"The thought vexes me, leaves my heart askew." - In the lines above, you seemed resigned to the facts, and here you're suddenly objecting, so maybe add "though," after "me,".
"Every night, alone I am." - I see how you were trying to make this line rhyme with the rest of the stanza, but it doesn't really make sense.
"Alone to my thoughts," - You might want to say "with" instead of "to". It just makes more sense.
"Saved back for a rainy day." - It would sound a little better if you take out "back" or say "Held back" instead.
"I was your pray." - Actually, in this context, it would be spelled "prey".

Hope that made sense and wasn't just me rambling on. And sorry to sound so critical. Have fun and keep writing! :)

Thanks for the review c:

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:16 pm
speakerskat wrote a review...

Hey there Speakerskat here to write a review for you!

Very intresting and indepth, I could really feel the intense emotions woven intop this poem and I found it very relatable ( sadly). The only thing I just didn't think flowed to well was the second to last stanza, it felt a little strained. Maybe if you made the first two lines in that stanza longer , but thats just my opinion :3

But this was a very moving and overall well formatted piece and even though the topic was ment to be sad I enjoed reading it because of this. I loved the third and the sixth stanzas cause that is so true ( the statments you made there). Just a wonderful job and aside from that I really don't have anything else to say.

Kepp it up
Kit

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 am
NightWolf wrote a review...

Hello, Knight Wolf here to review your poem for you!

This poem was amazing, it clearly portrayed its meaning, and everything about it just interconnects.

The word choices are a little cliché, but that doesn't mean anything bad.

The only grammatical error I can see is a really minor one.

Ive been pushed away.

"Ive" needs an apostrophe.

Your flow is excellent, and you have even made it have a little rhythm going! This makes it all the more enjoyable to read. It's not often you see poems like this, so well done!

Your rhyming doesn't sound forced, nor does it sound like you worked the poem around the rhymes, which is actually quite hard to do.

The one thing I felt your poem lacked was emotion. In a poem, I would like to sense it behind the words, but here, there wasn't really anything.

Nevertheless, this is a great poem. Keep on writing!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:15 am
DreamWork wrote a review...

Hi SJ, Dream with review on your poem.
This poem was successful in terms of the theme with effective diction. These words are often used in poem with the theme of broken heart and disappointment in regards to love. Title choice also suitable, for you give up on these feelings and you are defeated.

I can't tell you I like you at all.
If you knew, I would start to fall.

Instead of writing a poem with a free verse, you also take a chance to add some rhythm to your poem. I think that was a great idea from you. It makes your poem sounds good and nice when the reader read them aloud.
I(')ve been pushed away.-mistyping?

Overall, I like the theme you want to point up me, just a little bit that makes me feel not really satisfied here is that, your poem is still lack in emotions and thus less effective in its impact, but nevertheless I can see a very concrete tone of voice here. Keep it up! :)
Kudos, cheers.

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky