z

Young Writers Society



What a Wonderful World--REVISED

by Chevy


In the tune of "What a Wondeful World" by Louis Armstrong


I see skies of gray,

People hungry each day,

Nation vs. nation,

Forever at war,

And I think to myself,

What a wondeful world.

I see politics telling lies,

Leaders losing their minds

Bad deals and steals,

From Pakistan to D.C.,

And I think to myself,

What a wonderful world

The colors of the rainbow,

Leave so quickly from the sky

Never seen them on the faces of people going by

Where are the friends, shaking hands?

Saying, "How do you do"

Can't hear them sayin' "I Love You"

I see men sleeping in boxes,

While others are in mansions,

They die of hunger,

And we watch them suffer,

Yes, and I think to myself,

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

Oh Yeah..................


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1305
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:14 am
VioletFantasy wrote a review...



Hello!

VioletFantasy here to give you a review. I saw that a few people didn’t like your poem very much down in the comments, but I think it’s awesome! I love how you put it to the tune of “What A Wonderful World”! I think of that as such an uplifting song, so it is really ironic(in the best way possible) that your poem is about the problems in our world. This was a really clever idea and you executed it well. Now, onto the specifics.

I see politics telling lies,

Leaders losing their minds

Bad deals and steals,

From Pakistan to D.C.,

And I think to myself,

What a wonderful world


This is my favorite part of the poem, especially the line about leaders losing their minds. That made me smile and laugh so hard! It’s so true. I can tell that you put a lot of thought into this poem and the political details that you included. It adds a lot of interest to it.

I don’t see any grammar/spelling mistakes, so I have nothing else to say. You did such a wonderful job! Keep writing!! :)




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 426
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 pm
paula08 says...



Hey!!!! Sorry, but I didn't actually like the message of the poem. I mean why is the world wonderful when you described the cruel things? I admit that the contrast is good however, it does not send such a good message.




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:32 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



I agree with faith - I didnt like this as much as I liked your previous poem. It doesnt seem to flow very well, although that could just be because I dont know the song very well so I cant use the tune to help me. I do like the use of contrast and the irony of "A Wonderful World" - very clever. But like faith said, it doesnt have the depth of your previous work. Not as subtle, perhaps, but still a good concept. With a bit of work it could be great - you just need to flesh it out some more.




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 11417
Reviews: 425

Donate
Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:06 am
Nate wrote a review...



I like your use of contrasting; that is, contrasting the good in the song by Louis Armstrong with the bad of what you think is wrong with the world.

But faith is right; it needs more fleshing out. You can keep to the simple nature of the song and make a more emotional impact upon the person.

Just two lines caught my eye...
"I see politics telling lies,"
Change politics to politicians.

And the last line seemed out of place. It may be there in the song itself, but it's awkward to read.

Overall, it's good to get some real political commentary here on YWS. I like the way you express yourself through your poetry, and the contrast you do here is indeed very good.




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:53 am
faith says...



I didn't like this as well as 'the day America will fall'. It was a little less complex, didn't have as much impact. It seemed that unlike your other poem, there wasn't much substance here.





the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren