King Of Avians

by Eros

With that big black moon,

In the golden skies of his eyes

Overflowing with ferocity,

He observes the prey far below him.

--

The prey so meek and helpless,

In the captive of his strong talons,

Can never save himself,

From the beak, golden blended into black.

--

The huge bird awarded,

With the crown of title so honorable,

"The King of Avians" is he, the eagle,

The symbol of strength, victory and freedom,

He flies and flies and flies.

--

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:54 am
Dossereana says...

I love this @Eros I don't think that there is any thing that needs to be added to this, also I like the Image that you got of an eagle. :D

Eros says...

Yeahh I looove eagles!!

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:04 am

My interpretation of this poem is that the speaker is describing an eagle and are overcome by it's beauty and fierceness, they go on to describe it's physical appearance and ability to capture prey. The poem is sort of one noted, since there's no "greater meaning" expressed except maybe in the symbolism line at the end, but none-the-less it paint a clear picture for me.

This is a good little poem, Eros. I like the word choice you've got going on, and I think the first stanza in particularly has some strong imagery. Those first two lines paint a clear and unique picture using specific and concrete language. See if that can be incorporated a bit more into the rest of the poem maybe - you have an eye for imagery, so definitely take advantage of it. :)

I do notice that you repeat the two colors "gold and black" twice. I wonder if this is an intentional symbolic move, or if you ran out of colors to use? If it's the latter - I'd suggest thinking of some synonyms or metaphors - you can always use "night" or "shadow" rather than black, and "gold" has many alternatives. In such a short poem, I tend to think that repetition should only be done when it intentionally adds something to the piece, or else it ends up looking like the author ran out of words.

I would love some more of the symbols worked into the poem instead of listed in a line at the end. I would like to see this line: "The symbol of strength, victory and freedom," worked into the poem as a whole maybe with examples too.

"The King of Avians" line also reads a tad bit awkwardly. But all in all, this is a simple but alright poem for what I think it's purpose is - to explore eagles through a poetic lens. :) Keep on writing! :)

Lastly, the subject gets a bit lost in stanza too - follow the trails of the sentences, even through the line breaks. It's not clear who "himself" is referring to, since the last male pronoun referred to the eagle. I would suggest changing it to "themselves" to add a bit of clarity.

~alliyah

alliyah says...

Also @EagleFly, I think you would enjoy this poem by Eros! It is about Eagles.

Eros says...

I wrote a he because i saw it as a character in my poem .. though, I will edit all the little things like repetition of colours etc... Thank you so much for the review!

Dossereana says...

I will start reading thank you for telling me. :D

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:13 pm
ThatOneGuy2002 says...

Cool. Thats a nice poem u got, needs a little work, but al in all its great.

Eros says...

Thank you so much! Glad you liked it... :D

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:19 pm
Sharon1407 wrote a review...

Hey there, Sharon here for a quick review. This poem is a brief and precise description of the bird, indeed. Some things you can change about it though are to enhance on the emotional or spiritual content. Even if you don't add lines in order to do this, what you can do is tweak the metaphors to just make the emotions behind the prompt a little more sharp and obvious. Also, if you write "The huge bird WAS awarded" instead of what you've written here, it might make a little more sense. Lastly, keep writing!

Eros says...

Yaay ...okay! I will add the was there... Thank you for the review!! Glad you liked it...

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:32 pm
Wordzyy wrote a review...

Hey, Eros!

Thanks for sharing an amazing work. The picture is so apt for the poem. The poem itself speaks for the eagle's majesty which is pretty obvious in the pic. The comparison of the eagle's eye with that of a moon got brilliant when you brought up the reflection of ferocity there.

The symbol of strength, victory, and freedom,

I enjoyed the read, what I saw here was eagle's strength more than victory and freedom. If those were elaborated, it would be way more intriguing and thrilling!! This is just a suggestion. Hope you get my point :)

This piece was brilliant!! Keep up the writing, my friend!!

Have a good day/night :D

Eros says...

Yaay, I got it! This would make the poem Blaaaaasting! I will add something to this one ...:D thanks !! <3

Wordzyy says...

That would be wonderful :D <3 Glad that you like the idea :D

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah