Me Adrian

by Eros

O' me Adrian!

Thy enchantment brings euphoria to me,

Thy calmness, to me placates...

Thou art the prince of heavenly sky

Studded with pearls of stars.

O' me Adrian!

Why canst thou read in the eyes of mine, 

The longing I have for thee...

Why don't thou understand,

The tender care me soul hath for thou?

O' me Adrian!

Will thou e'er realize that

The sky I talked of above 

Was equivalent to me heart

And the stars art me wishes for thou...

Thou art just as beautiful as the Adrian,

Me Adrian,

Me Adrian.

Lumi wrote a review...

This was nearly indigestible due to your choice to attempt Shakespearean language...which you didn't. You used modern contractions and Irish dialectic possessives and. It's just not pretty on flow, the tongue, execution; I didn't enjoy it.

So let's break down what you're looking at without all the Spear Shaking.

You're in love with someone and comparing them to the moon. Or possibly just in love with the moon. The personification is so cemented that there is no differentiation. What you'll wanna do is create a schism between the character and his metaphor so that the reader can latch onto the details you've scattered about the piece with more ease. Beyond that, just clean up the Shakespearean and really refine what you're attempting to do with experimentation and multiple drafts. Read and write and share and revise and repeat the process. If Shakespeare is who you want to emulate, read a crap ton of Shakespeare. Just make it so.

But as far as something abstract goes, I mean, you shot for it, and that definitely counts for something. Just gotta clean up the execution.

All the best, hope this helps.
Ty

Eros says...

Thank you do much for the review, Lumi!! Surely, I'll try to improve upon it.... And I read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar before writing this, though

Midnightmoon wrote a review...

Hello, I love this poem! I just have a few suggestions to make. First off, on this line;

"Thou art the prince of heavenly sky

Studded with pearls of stars."

I would put 'That' before "Thou" and 'The' before "prince" I think it makes the poem roll a little easier. So it would look like this;

"That thou are the prince of heavenly sky
Studded with the pearls of stars."

I love that you are going for a Shakespeare theme, it makes this poem all the more touching.

On this line;
"Why can't thou read in my eyes,
The longing I have for thou?"

I would change "Can't" to 'Canst' and maybe put 'not' in there. So it would be like this;

"Why canst thou not read in my eyes..." or just stick with "canst" it's up to you though. :).

On this line;

"The longing I have for thou?" change "Thou" to 'Thee'

So all together it would look like this;

"Why canst thou not read in my eyes,
The longing I have for thee?"

And I would change "My" to 'mine' I think it sounds more Shakespearan. :)

Other than those little things, It's a great poem and I hope you keep writing!

Midnightmoon says...

Sorry about posting it twice. computer glitch

Eros says...

Heyyy!!! That sounds great!! I have done the editing....and yeah! This things happens w/ me too....><

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice