z

Young Writers Society



High School Romance| Chapter 2

by Eros


Chapter 2: Unlucky day!

They were chatting about whoever Sukoi was and I wasn't listening to their talks that ardently and I didn't even realise when their chattering seemed like Nothin more than low mosquito buzzing. I was still thinking about Miss Hitler and the relief I got after I escaped from that classroom. Suddenly, everyone stood up and I realised they were greeting the teacher with chorus, "Good morning." I wasn't able to see who the teacher was, because all the tall figures were standing in front of me.

I quickly stood up, sat down and looked straight towards the teacher. I was terrified to see Miss Hitler again. I sat there frozen.

I was flooded with thoughts, "Now I'll become a joke in front of the whole classroom. Oh, man! There are 5 new students here! Three are girls! What my impression will be...oh, oh!"

"Bro..." I tapped on Kazuro's shoulder.

"Bro!" I slapped him, though I didn't mean to. He woke up from the thoughts and looked at me with anger, but his anger cooled down on looking the seriousness and terror on my face. He twisted his fingers, asking what the matter was. I whispered to Kazuro and Hiroyama, "Miss Hitler was teaching in previous lecture in the class where I accidentally slipped in!" I continued, "Bro, please do something---" Kazuro stood up as soon as Miss Hitler turned towards the blackboard, and I glided on the bench, sliding towards the corner. I tried to stay out of eyes of Miss Hitler, who was roaming in the classroom. I was afraid that she will disclose the secret of me goofily stepping in the wrong classroom. She was coming closer towards me. I quickly slipped under the desk and tried to stay hidden for sometime---perks of having short height. I felt like an undercover cop, hiding under the bench. 

Miss Hitler, however caught me and my heartbeats raced.

"What are you doing there?"

I stood up and immediately started throwing excuses on her, "Ma'am my eraser fell down--"

"YOU!?" She yelled at me.

I squeezed my eyes thinking, "Oh. She caught that!"

"Why didn't you tell me that you accidentally entered the wrong classroom, Davis?"

"Ma'am---i was...just" I was trying to think about an excuse and everyone laughed loudly together. I was feeling humiliated, honestly, but I tried to act normal and smiled and laughed with the other classmates.

"Okay! Silence. Sit down, Davis. You should be careful. Aimless vagabond."

"Aimless vagabond" giggled the classroom, repeating Miss. Hitler's words.

I smiled as naturally as I could, though I was almost on the verge of crying.

"Silence!!" She screamed. "Sit down, Davis. Next time, be careful and don't hesitate to tell the teachers! We are here to mend your mistakes."

"Huh!" I thought, "Who'll tell a teacher like your who makes a fun like this in front of the whole classroom?"

I still managed to reply, "Yes, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am," and I sat back on the bench.

The bell rang and the class got finally over. I wanted to roam around for a few minutes before the next period started and therefore, I went towards the washroom.

I was still thinking about the classroom laughing at me, and I didn't realise when did I almost sneak into the girls' washroom. Thank Goodness there was no one around, and I realised my mistake on perfect time. I immediately came outside and entered the boys' washroom.

I sighed after I closed the door behind. "What an unlucky day! Firstly the wrong classroom, then sitting with a girl! And then bearing Miss Hitler AGAIN! And now, I was almost inside the girls' washroom!!" I shook my head and looked at the tensed face in the mirror. I washed my face with the cool water, hoping that it'll help me keep my mind on place.

I sighed again, "Ah. What's happening with me." 

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Drops of water dripping down my fair, oval face. I ran my wet hands through my black, silky hair and tried to set them over my forehead. I liked to run wet hands through my hair. It cooled down my head and also, I knew that I look good when I do that. I patted my face dry with my handkerchief.

I went back to the classroom and attended the next lecture. The lunch time arrived and we shared our tiffins merrily and we chatted and laughed a lot. Me, Hiroyama and Kazuro were a group of the most energetic boys of the class. Soon, all of the boys came and join us. We savoured the tasty food and everyone seemed to have forgotten the joke in Miss Hitler's class. 

The next lectures got over and we went back to home. On the way back to home, Hiroyama and Kazuro again started the subject of Sukoi and I was least interested in the subject, so I waved them goodbye and left alone for the home. If they had not started that subject again, we three would have gone together hand in hand till the chowk and separate our ways from that junction.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 56
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm
varada6467 says...



HEY!! There, I read your second chapter, can't find the third one. Have you posted the third one!??




Eros says...


No I haven't posted the thrift one but I will surely post it ... I will tag you if you like?



varada6467 says...


Thanks!!



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 pm
View Likes
Holysocks wrote a review...



Hey there! Happy Review Day! C:

So I found it interesting that he was scared to say that he'd come into the wrong class- and that bothers me too because like, I feel like teachers that make kids THAT anxious shouldn't be allowed to teach. It's just so not cool. I could seriously rant about teachers and public schools forever but I think I'll leave that for another day.

"Bro!" I slapped him, though I didn't mean to.


I feel like it would be hard to slap someone by accident! At least, not in this case.

He woke up from the thoughts and looked at me with anger, but his anger cooled down on looking the seriousness and terror on my face.


But what does anger look like? What does terror and seriousness look like? These are examples of when the readers want to be shown what's happening and what the character is feeling, rather than being told. So what does anger look like? A really great exercise to get yourself thinking about different ways to describe how things look or feel etc, is trying to describe a colour without using cliche things that are associated with that colour. So for instance, describing the colour 'blue' (and to make it more fun, pretend the person you're describing the colour to has never seen the colour that you're describing, EVER). So to describe blue, I'm going to avoid cliches associated with blue like perhaps the sea, depression, sky, etc. And instead I'm going to try to describe how the colour blue makes me feel, and what it does for me, and things like that. Note: don't get frustrated if you're finding it difficult to do, because it is quite difficult- just have fun with it! It's just supposed to help you sorta think outside of the box in terms of descriptions- and sorta think more about what the descriptions will do for the readers as well.

So one thing I thought was a little odd was that you use the name 'Hitler' for the teacher. I mean, it's a name, and people do have names like famous and infamous people. BUT the name 'Hitler' is associated with something really big and horrible. And so every time I read the name, I think of that rather than your character. Which is kinda bad for your novel and character, because usually you want readers to have a fresh slate with your characters, and you want them to simply get to know the character for who they are, without having weird biases simply because of their names right off the bat. But that's just my two cents!

I also wasn't really sure where you were going with this chapter? Sure, the MC didn't have the best day, but how does that move the plot along towards the rest of the story? Every piece in a novel/story should be propelling the story towards a goal. But this chapter didn't really seem to be doing that from what I can tell. As Carlito says though, a first draft is a first draft- so it's completely okay to just be writing whatever comes to mind, and thinking about how it works into your plot later. But it's just something to think about, and keep in mind for when you're editing! Also, you should see all the chapters I've written. I am SO BAD for writing bits that I don't really need- or when I'm not sure what to write.

Anyways, as a whole I thought this was pretty interesting- though you're poor character! He certainly didn't have a very good day!

Keep it up! C:

-Holysocks




Eros says...


Oh my! I love challenges .. that's a real challenge to describe the Colorado thing lool it's gonna be fun! Thank you so much for the review!!



Holysocks says...


You're welcome! C:



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:20 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again!!

I'll continue with where I left off my last review. I'm worried that you're falling into the trap of writing a series of events rather than an actual plot in this novel so far. Two chapters in, I'm not getting a firm sense of what the plot is going to be, instead it's just silly and unfortunate things happening to the main character. (And my bad, I assumed the main character was a girl in my last review, and I realize now it's a boy :p).

A book is comprised of three elements - characters, premise, plot. If we look at an example like Harry Potter (my personal favorite!), the characters are Harry, Ron, Hermione, etc. The premise is the overall concept of the book - Harry finds out he's a wizard and goes to a magic school. The plot is what actually happens - Harry works with his friends to find the Sorcerer's Stone before Voldemort does.

You definitely have characters, and it's clear that you've spent some time with your characters and know them well. I'm not 100% clear on your premise other than it takes place at a school, and I'm not 100% clear on your plot.

If you haven't thought about the premise and plot much yet, that's okay! First drafts are all about exploring, but you'll have a much easier time knowing what happens next if you have an idea of what the premise and plot are. One way to start to figure it out is what I posed in my last review - what does your main character want, what's standing in their way, and why does it matter. This is the overall plot arc of the novel. (Harry wants to get the stone, but he's only 11 and he doesn't know much magic and no one believes him, and if he doesn't Voldemort could become powerful again). Your character will probably want multiple things, and those other things will become subplots.

Let me know if you have any questions, if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention, or if you'd like to talk more about your premise or plot! :D




Eros says...


Ok ... I got the point... I need to develope more of the deacription about the plot and what the place is like where things are taking place ..I will definitely try to edit the parts ... Thank you so much for the helpful review!!




Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria