Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright

by felistia

Tiger, tiger, burning bright,

Your eyes like fierce firelight.

Your long striped fur blazing flame red,

As you haunt the forests no man dare tread.

With sharp teeth shining white,

You prowl the jungle's dark night.

But now, long sorrow-filled years,

Streak down your fur in black tears.

For man hunts you for your coat of fire,

In his hands a gun, his eyes full of desire.

To take that blazing flame away from you,

The more you hid, the more his greed grew.

He hunted you through mountains high and valleys low,

Forever on the shining trail of your brilliant crimson glow.

Until he caught you one dark night,

And took away your red firelight.

Tiger, tiger, burning bright,

Fading from all man's sight.

A\N Please save tigers from hunting and habitat destruction before they are lost forever.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:18 pm
BellaRoma wrote a review...

Hey, felistia -- I'm BellaRoma here with a review on this piece.
I'll be brief, so I don't repeat too much, okay?
I agree that this is a really relevant message -- we need to work harder to conserve the beautiful animals we have, like tigers.
Was this at all inspired by "The Tyger" by William Blake? It was a poem I studied in English last year. I saw it marked as fanfiction, so I thought I'd ask. "Tyger, tyger burning bright", is the first line of that poem, too. If it was inspired by "The Tyger", I like the way you have taken the poem and turned it into this to share your views. :)
I'm not going to include nitpicks -- you have probably heard everything by now. Sorry this review couldn't have been more helpful to you. I mainly wanted to ask about your poem.

~BellaRoma~

felistia says...

Thanks for the review and yes it was inspired by The Tyger. :D

InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

Hello, InfiniteRectangles here with your review!

Wow, this was so amazing! I see that it has gotten lots of well-deserved attention as well. As someone who absolutely loves tigers, I really appreciate this poem and the message behind it. This is such a powerful poem that it is hard to find any criticism for you. I love the way you made the tiger feel alive. You painted a picture in your readers minds that is so beautifully vivid! (And I must admit, I am slightly envious of your ability to master imagery so well :p) You put so much passion into this piece, and as a poet, passion is crucial for a successful poem. I could feel how much you care about the tiger by the way you described everything. Really, the only thing I would suggest is to keep your tenses consistent. There was a part towards the end where you switched from present to past tense and then at the end you switched back to present. It may just be a stylistic choice of yours (and seeing as this is your poem, I won't really be too nit-picky about it), but I think it might improve the flow if you keep the tenses consistent.

That is all I have for you. Overall this was a brilliant poem. It was beautifully descriptive, it flowed well, most of your rhymes felt natural, and it was powerful. I have read some of your other work and I am becoming quite fond of your writing style. Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! ^-^

felistia says...

thank you so much. :D

DavidFrost says...

A very intriguing and inspiring poem with a vital message to us all. Well written

babydollblues wrote a review...

Very lovely poem, very lovely message. Reading through I could only find one mistake and then the rest I will be talking about is personal changes I would make.
The one tiny problem would be "As you haunt the forests no man dares tread." should be "As you haunt the forests no man (dare) tread.", I just think it would much better without the s on dares, and would help with the overall flow of the poem.
Now, onto personal changes. My personal changes would be with spacing, I think you should split the line "But now, long sorrow-filled years," so it would have looked like"But now, (Indention) Long sorrow filled years," but doing so could also ruin the flow of the poem, I'm just saying that its just natural for me to do this to my own poems.

Wow ! This is a complete piece of poetry . The poem has moved on so systematically. The description is also very realistic . And the best part is that , it has such a solid conclusion with a message .

deleted5 says...

I literally looked at a the poem this is based off to see if it was a copy paste. It wasn't. That's how good it was. XD

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:08 am
Konijn says...

Thank you for making this! As someone who loves tigers dearly, this touched my heart.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:49 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...

This review is brought to you by Read and Review Shop

Hey, I'm here to review as requested. :D I see that this is a rhyming poem, and I like them that are rhymed. I simply don't understand why some people don't. Rhyme is a wonderful thing. Anyway, I'm off the track a bit, so let's go it again.

The thing about rhyming poem is that it's not just making your last word rhyming with the last one in the line after that. After being commented on some rhymed poems I made, I realized there was more to rhyme. There are perfect rhyme, general rhyme, and identical rhyme. In perfect rhyme, there's full rhyme and identical rhyme. Whatever it is, it's crucial to stick into one type of rhyme. More can be read here.

Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
Your eyes like fierce firelight.

This is identical rhyme since "bright" has a stressed vowel while "firelight" has it at the word "fire", not "light". To get a perfect rhyme, you need to find a word with a single stressed vowel to complement "bright". That being said, this is your first stanza, which means this is the indicator you're using identical rhyme.

As you haunt the forests no man dares tread.

This here is a perfect rhyme because the two lines' last words have single stressed vowel. The problem arises where you're not being consistent with your rhyme. Your poem is a mix of perfect rhyme (in stanza 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9) and identical rhyme (in stanza 1, 5, 8), which isn't good because while perfect rhyme makes the reading faster and smoother, identical rhyme stresses the second line's rhymed word. There are differences.

My advice to you is to read more of rhyme and stick to one of it.

Now, on to the meaning of poem. Your poem is short, so there's nothing much to say. Being in a country where tigers are an endangered species, I can relate to this very much. The consequences where the hunter hunts the tiger because of its skin are not a secret anymore - this happens just to make clothes, which has many other resources left. To give more depth to this poem, you might to add why the hunter wants its skin, and how does the tiger thinks of the people hunting it. In other note - you do a wonderful job, as always, to describe the tiger's beauty.

My small wonder is why the tiger is running away from the hunter. If it feels it's threatened, it'd harm the hunter, not run away from him. That's an instinct implant on other animals like deers or rabbits. Tiger is a predator - playing offense would be in its nature rather than playing defense to maintain its superiority and survival. You might need to rethink about this part. Making the tiger fights back for its life would be more dramatic and meaningful to the poem since it also symbolic to how tigers in general are fighting to keep their species exists on Earth.

That is all! Keep up the good job! :D

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:53 am
Justateenagewriter wrote a review...

Wow ! Such a great poem !
It's so easy to read and to understand !
It's really great that it rhymes the whole way through ! It makes the poem flow nicer, and gives it a rhythm !
It also has a powerful meaning, but is addressed in an easy way, which makes it fun for younger readers as well.
It makes you think about man's greed, and his blindness to the beauty of what surrounds him !
I really loved this poem ! It's wonderful !

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:11 am
TheLittlePrince wrote a review...

You've written a splendid poem! Honestly, I loved every word of it, but like every poem it could do with some improvements. I'll you advice to remove the image of a tiger and let the readers conjure up an image themselves, that's why I love vague book covers because they leave the imagination to me. The last line, "Fading from all man's sight", seems slightly out of place to me and you could refine it. The best part of this poem was its descriptive and vivid imagery, I simply loved it. You write very well and I look forward to reading more of your works!
P.S. I'm new and have recently posted a poem. I'll be very grateful if you could spare a moment to have a look it.

felistia says...

Thank you for the review and I would love to look at your poem. Could you tell me what it is called and I will have a look at it. :D

Thank you for replying! It's called "Set Me Free Too" Set Me Free Too

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:59 pm
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...

Greetings again! I've returned, hoping to squeeze in another review (by request ;) ) before Review Day finishes!

I have noticed that this one has a slightly different format than your other poems. I am pleased to tell you that this works very well, especially for the type of poem it is and your rhyme scheme. You haven't messed up (Hopefully nobody was looking over your shoulder as you wrote, yelling "Mess up! Mess up! Mess up!") on this, doing this quite masterfully.
Moving on to your fabulous description..... 10/10. Is it realistic to say that your poem outperforms the picture? I can feel it and see it so much! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but your poem is probably worth a billion (even though its not even that long)!

Starting from this line, your poem seems to become magical in a way. It feels more than what is written down. It feels like there's a story to be told underneath. I've seen art and imagined magic, but this outshines it in so many ways!

Rhythm-Ly, I really like how at the end you return to the first line. It really gives me a sense of conclusion, which is great because you don't want an ending that is too sudden.

Nothing bad or even slightly negative to say about this poem. Fantastic work again, felistia! :D
Stay awesome and never stop writing even if skunks were gong to burn you at the stake! (Again, a bit extreme, but you get it ;) )
~Holographic Ladybug :)

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:22 am
Odd wrote a review...

Hello, I am here to review.

First of all, this was a really good poem. Very nice poetic language, very nice form, very nice flow. Congratulations. I really like this poem and I like the idea you are sending out with it, for it is a good gesture to the world.

However, there are some things I would like to point out. First things first:

Tiger, tiger burning bright

Whether we look at your first verse or at your title, the same things applies to both of them. When you say Tiger, tiger, it makes me think of a sort of nursery rhyme. Now, this may not be what you intended, but it sounds to me as if both time you say tiger, you are calling out to it. If that is the case, I suggest you put a comma after both words, because I think it would improve the flow slightly.

Then this:
But now long sorrow filled years,

Two things I have to say about this. First of all, I think a comma would help after now. Then, it is the years which are filled with sorrow, right? Therefore, the correct way to spell it would be sorrow-filled years. With those changes, this would be your verse:
But now, long sorrow-filled years,

He hunted you over mountains high and valleys low,

When you say he hunted you over mountains high, it works. However, if you were saying he hunted you over valleys low, not so much. Therefore, I suggest that you could change over with through so the sentence works out a bit better: He hunted you through mountains high and valleys low. This, of course, is up to you, the author.

Now, that's it for spelling, but there is one more thing I would like to point out. You start your poem with present tense, and then you move to past tense, only to finish with the present again. Maybe you did this so it would rhyme, I do not know. But I think the poem would work better if you stuck to one of the two tenses.

Anyway, I hope this review helped, but this poem is really nice, so keep on writing and I look forward to reading more things by you!

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:14 pm
sadgirltumblrx wrote a review...

hello my name is Hannah and here is my review.
I like how you have added a photo of the tiger it gives the reader a visual image.
I have also noticed that you have not made any spelling or grammar errors which is great and is also crucial when writing poems and stories etc. Anyway overall I really like this poem and I think that it is amazing and I think you should keep up the good work :)

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:51 pm
antandelis wrote a review...

normally i don't like/understand poems but this one i truely understand, and could discribe in my own words. i could have understood maybe a website link or shown as the very bottom of the page where they try to save tigers and other big cats because really nice porms like this can perfectly inspire prople to make a diffrence, although i do thnk "and shot away your red firelight" would have been better due to part about him holding a gun. and maybe putting evil before desire? just a suggestion.
-el

These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah