z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Fading Light

by felistia


A shining golden circle, slowly sinking low,

behind the tall ice capped mountain peaks.

Its amber rays reflecting off perfect white snow.

                               

Copper beams streak across the darkening sky,

closely followed by pink and orange streams,

as the light of day starts to dim and die.

                     

A cold breeze blows over a frozen lake,

tossing flecks of silver snow into the air.

The ice shimmers in the suns departing wake.

                                  

The twisting shadows gradually stretch longer.

The scattered clouds like dying coals from an old fire.

The dark and bitter cold slowly grows stronger.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
298 Reviews


Points: 15144
Reviews: 298

Donate
Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm
View Likes
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...



This is so beautiful that it almost brought a tear to my eye by the end of it. My favorite, favorite part was the last stanza. It, in my opinion, was the highlight of the poem. It just feels so deep and it's so descriptive, too! :)
You do colour really well, too. It's so neat and descriptive.... So beautiful. I can see everything clearly! That shows signs of a great poem! This is fantastic. Keep it up and never stop! I must read more. :)




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate

User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 4392
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:19 pm
EccentricRose says...



I love the description! <3




User avatar
377 Reviews


Points: 119
Reviews: 377

Donate
Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:47 am
Snazzy wrote a review...



Hello! :D
Great imagery on this one! I think your poems express your 'imagery' skill the most. :D I haven't said this before on any other reviews, but just because I say anything you could correct about this (unless it's a typo or something) doesn't mean you have to do this. ;) Most of the "stuff" I say is just me bouncing random ideas off of the large cavernous walls of my brain. :D You're the writer - so when it comes to things like writing style, and story line, it's kind of your choice! ;) Anyway, here's my review!

A shining, golden circle slowly sinking low,


For some reason, I find myself pausing after circle. Maybe adding in a comma would help...maybe?

Its amber rays reflecting off the perfect white snow.


I think this line is a bit long - and it kind of disrupts your flow. Maybe shortening it would help. (taking out a couple of words, to something like "Its amber rays reflecting off perfect white snow", yes, only one word, but it might work ;) )

Other than that, this was great! I especially the last few lines! "The dark and bitter cold slowly grows stronger" was a great ending to it! Great job and keep writing!

~Snazzy, Pencil, Penicillin, etc.
Stay awesome! ;)




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 16

Donate
Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:38 pm
View Likes
NewYork30 wrote a review...



Such awesome imagery!!! Winter is definitely my favorite season to write about. "The ice shimmers in the suns departing wake" creates such a beautiful image in my eyes. I also loved "as the light of day starts to dim and die". It's fun to see how people write about the transition from night to day , or from day to night because there are so many different ways to do so. You make the cold sound beautiful by talking about shimmering ice, and also bitter by talking about its darkness. Loved this poem. Keep writing ! (:




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 907
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm
View Likes
TheGreatPotato wrote a review...



Alright. Well. Poetry. Not my thing, but yours was good for what it is.
I liked how your poem was imagery, that seemed (To me) the be pure and undiluted by deeper meanings and pretentiousness. It's refreshing.

A cold breeze blows over a frozen lake,


Excellent. I could feel the chill.

The ice shimmers in the suns departing wake.


Wonderful, I saw ice struck by sunlight. Not ice in some wilderness setting, and not at dusk, but still, ice being struck by sunlight came to mind, which is excellent. Your poem is smacking my imagination around, something poetry can rarely do to me.

frankly I can find no problems with this poem. Perhaps there are some issues with the layout, but I doubt it. Either way, I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of poetry to give a judgement. Enjoyed your rhyme sequence thingy too. It flowed and wasn't big and in my face, I didn't even notice it until the second read. Fantastic poem.




User avatar


Points: 665
Reviews: 4

Donate
Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:35 pm
View Likes
princesscharlotte15 wrote a review...



Hello! I'm here to do a review! :)

Your poem is so great! I love the imagery and the descriptive words and phrases you used.

I especially love the line where it says

Its amber rays reflecting off the perfect white snow.

This line is great because it makes me imagine the light reflecting off the icy snow.
I also love the line where you say
A cold breeze blows over a frozen lake,

tossing flecks of silver snow into the air.
I love this because I immediately imagine the classic movie scene where the snow licks up little flecks of snow off of the frozen lake. I think there was a scene like this in the Polar Express. It makes me imagine Christmas as well. It's interesting because even though you would feel cold there, the warm feelings of Christmas would give me hope.

The scattered clouds like red coals from a dying fire
This part I like, but I feel like the saying they are red would contradict the fact that light is moving away from the scene. I like how you used
from a dying fire
though. I think you could say "The scattered clouds like dying embers in an old fire." or something along those lines.

Over all, I really love your poem! It shows a sunset in a whole new light, and I love how you incorporated a cold setting because the cold weather intensifies as the sun goes down, and you definitely expressed that in your poem. Great job and keep it up!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 953
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:04 pm
View Likes
jazzy52314 wrote a review...



Hi felistia
I read your poem and i thought it was good.I liked the contrast between the light and then making it go into a wintery night

The scattered clouds like red coals from a dying fire
The dark and bitter cold slowly grows stronger.]

since the nights are typically dark and cold.I also liked the way you described the sunset because you cover every sight there is displayed when the sun goes down and disappears.
A shining, golden circle slowly sinking low,

closely followed by pink and orange streams,

The twisting shadows gradually stretch longer.
The scattered clouds like red coals from a dying fire

good job!





"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein