Amazing Grace

by LadySpark

I wrote two for the contest:

the first one:http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?t=80415 wasn't so good, so I wrote this one.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic79724.html (thats the contest link)

I got Urban and blue.

Hope ya like it. Any review appreciated..

Amazing Grace

Dear Heart,

I write this letter, knowing that when you read it, I will be dead. I always knew I had a limited time on this earth, the doctors told me that when I was seven years old. They said, “You have ten years at the most to live.” Can you imagine how I felt at seven, being told that I was going to die before I reached my eighteenth birthday? I was devastated. I had always wanted to be an explorer and here I was, being told I couldn’t be because my blood wasn’t able to stand up to time. They said I had fola gorm, which meant blue blood in Irish. The doctors explained that some people, and this was very rare, had the drops of blue blood along with scarlet. Apparently, the blue drops slowly ate away at my insides, killing me. I was afraid, so afraid. I watched my life pass, till I reached my seventeenth birthday. I sat in our apartment, waiting to die. It didn’t happen. It didn’t happen the next day, week, month or year. The doctors were flabbergasted. “How?” they said to each other. “How?” but no one had the answers. I rejoiced, my parents rejoiced. They did more tests and gave me another deadline. Eight years. This time, I wasn’t going to watch my life slip away. God had given me another chance and I was going to take it. I joined the football team, got a beautiful girlfriend, I was convinced that I could live a lifetime in eight years. Eight years passed. My twenty-sixth birthday. I sat with you, my best friend on my couch, eating birthday cake, waiting to die. It didn’t happen. Not for three months. I was overjoyed! Maybe I could live. Maybe God had decided I could live! I bent down on my knees, and thanked him.

Three hours later, I collapsed. I was rushed to the hospital, and slowly my nerves started not to function.

You didn’t come to see me, and I know why. As I lay in that hospital, my legs paralyzed, I knew something that you had known since we met.

You loved me Grace.

And I love you.

I wish I could have figured it out, and it wouldn’t have taken me dying to figure it out. I know this is the end. I wish you well my darling. My sweet. My princess, My dear heart. If this godforsaken blue blood hadn’t murdered me, I wouldn’t have realized this. Maybe, God will save me and I’ll never have to have this letter delivered. Maybe. But I doubt it. My time has come, remember that I love you, and when you enter through those pearly gates, I’ll be waiting. You’re my Amazing Grace.

Love love love,

Mark

wizkid515 wrote a review...

Hey there,
Loved this peice but I must agree that it seemed to be over to quickly. I would have like it to go on a little longer but great work anyway. To me it was special, I could feel the overall emotion of sadeness and the pain of saying goodbye. I know I'm not the best reveiwer but I hope my comments helped :) Good Luck with future writing!
Wiz

KaylaCoon wrote a review...

hey Kayla here!!

So I like this story. Or letter. I loved how you could see what was going on in your mind. The readers could just relate to this story. It just speaks to the heart. It makes you think that all of us take our lives forgranted.

The emotions in this is vibrant. It's like fireworks, emotions, feelings, descriptions, everything. It's just great. I'm not sure what else to say.

Great story/letter.

--Kaylaa<3

ASH1397 wrote a review...

Hello there :)

I'll start with some nitpicks.

This was a hefty read. Although you are covering about two or three related topics, it still should be broken up more so it's easier to catch what you're saying.
You should also probably put more emphasis on the rejoicing; it doesn't seem like he is too happy about it, but you should put a little more "oomph" into that part.

Now onto the impression :)

I love this piece. I like how it was about him learning to live, but it took him dying to realize love. That's what I like! There were alot of great moments in this:
This time, I wasn’t going to watch my life slip away. God had given me another chance and I was going to take it. I joined the football team, got a beautiful girlfriend, I was convinced that I could live a lifetime in eight years.

This was the gem!! I totally love how the Mark guy is taking a chance, even though he knows something bad could happen. I think everyone thinks they could live a lifetime in 8 years, but for him, you could tell that he was watching the clock tick away time for him. You showed this but didn't tell: GREAT job! :)

Overall, this was an great piece, because you put different perspective out there. :) You have a great style of writing too!

Let me know when you have more posts up if you want reviews!

keep writing
--Ash

reaganpark wrote a review...

This is really depressing! :( I liked it, though.

I think it would be a lot better if you added paragraphs. It would make it easier to read, and easier to understand. If it had been longer, I might not have kept reading because it was so scrunched together I couldn't concentrate.

I also agree that there should be more information in it, like what he did until he was 18, or something like that. Also, what is his parents input? I never really saw anything about them. What did they say when they found out he was going to die?

I guess it's a letter, so he probably wouldn't talk about that stuff. But I think you could put a little more in, since it's not really a letter, it's a story.

Great job! I hope this helped..!

Ranger Hawk wrote a review...

'Ello 'ello, here for a review! :D

Okay, so this is a lovely story; I'm a fan of tragic love tales, and this one fits the bill perfectly! However, I think you could have really expanded upon this and added more details just to get the reader more involved. Your word limit was for 6,000 words, if I remember right, and there's a lot you could have done in that space.

Even though this is a letter, it doesn't have to feel so tell-ish; you can just as easily show things by having Mark write about their times together, memories, how he felt during the whole time and maybe how she helped him through those difficult times. I'd like to see a little more development between the two main characters, just so we have some kind of an anchor point to realize just why he comes to find that he loves her so much. How has she changed his life and made it better? Little things that'll make it sweeter and sadder when he does die.

Also, I'd emphasize her name at the beginning; you start the letter off with "Dear Heart," and Azila and I weren't quite sure at first whether you were referring to Grace by that name, or if he was writing to someone else, or to himself. Since the title's "Amazing Grace," I'd say really try to tie in that name and make it clear that the whole letter is being addressed to her and that she's the receiver of it.

All right, so that's all I've got to say. Thanks again for entering, and keep on writing! Cheers! =)

pinkbunnysrbeast wrote a review...

Not much on the relationship of Mark and Sarah. Is it just there? Like, is it just supposed to be the backround of the story, or does it show more about it? The characters didn't have much backround, just 1 or 2 memories about them. Not to be mean or anything, but they seem like this head-over-heels couple, but his last words to her were the backround of his disease? But it was a good start. How is she going to react? Is he going to live? Good plot, good start/

Sat May 14, 2011 9:17 am
MiaParamore wrote a review...

Hey Pointe. Shrubs here to review. :) Sorry but I'll have to give a quick review. :)

Apparently, the blue drops slowly ate awayat my insides, killing me.

Love love love,
Mark
Isn't it getting too cuddly? I mean, it's not something guys would write as.

One thing that I'd like to say about this piece is that it was lovely how you came with a concept for the color blue. If it had been my challenge, I doubt I'd have given my piece this angle. I might have settled for something chic-lit, and honestly telling that's a worse thing. But you had another concept, you talked about a rare blood disease and how the color blue affected his life. How he felt forlorn because of it. Excellent view. :)

But there are some things which I think were totally neglected. First of all, I didn't get any urban feel. There was no indication that this was something set up in urban place. For all I know this story could have very well been a story of a boy from a farming town. Do you get my point? There was no feel for urban thing here and I am sure you could have done plenty of things taking in this theme. If you want to know more about urban stories, then you should probably read about some of the writers who have written in that genre. One of my favourites is O. Henry His writing was more of twists rather than urban fantasy but he wrote pretty good stories set in early New York and you get the urban feel. So if you can, you should read some of his stories and also delve deeper into the topic. Just lick everything on Internet regarding Urban writing. It would actually help you out a lot. :)

One thing that I didn't actually get very much would have to be the relationship between Grace and Mark. She seems like a total stranger to me, to be honest. She hasn't been developed at all in the whole story and you can say that he's writing a letter to a tree. That's what she is; just an object. I'd definitely like to know more about her, maybe Mark reminiscing some good time he spent with her, or how she used to change his life. I'd like to know that stuff. Make her a character, and not just an object. He should tell us how she is special for him. So, work on that.

Another thing that I can't resist mentioning is that it seems like his autobiography. Some Chicken Soup for Soul stuff and not a story written in form of a story. He is just blabbering about his life, and there are slight emotions here and there. But I'd like to read more. The concept is interesting, but it needs a bit tweaking. If you need any help, just lemme know.

Last thing for today has to be that I think since your task doesn't involve writing a story that is in a letter form, you can try the story in some other format. Writing a letter is getting too common and at the same time monotonous these days, so you might not stand a good chance of winning. But if you narrate the story in the ideal form, with more twists and something of your own, then I think the story would seem much better.

Right now the only thing I am liking is the concept of how you used the colour blue in your story, but there is a huge spectrum of angles you still need to work on. It seems a bit unfinished right now and if I were you, I'd maybe take some break, plan it out and chop off the letter format. So, just work on that, sweets, and your story would definitely be a lot better.

Keep Writing,
Shrubs

Jenthura wrote a review...

About the only thing I found wrong was the fact that it was much too short and quick. Not fast-paced, just...over too quickly.
If I knew I was going to die within hours, then my letter realistically would be something like this, short and to the point. However, as this is a story, you should really give us something to mull over.
For instance, where you say "I watched my life pass, till I reached my seventeenth birthday." you never mention exactly how the MC let their life pass. It's in contrast to this sentence, "I joined the football team, got a beautiful girlfriend, I was convinced that I could live a lifetime in eight years." which describes about the MC's life after he resolved not to let it go to waste.
Anyways, I'll any other points of notice for Shurbs to get. :P

Sorry Shrubs,
Jenth

Audrey wrote a review...

Heya!

Alright, so I liked this. I am a fan of dramatic pieces, and it does not get more dramatic then death does it? =)
The blue blood thing is an interesting idea. I am not sure if it is all that realistic scientifically, but I'm not overly concerned, really more intrigued then anything else. Is that a real disease, or did you use creative license?

I do have a few suggestions. The first has to do with the genre. It does not really seem all that urban to me. To me, urban is the city, the grit, the dark. This feels more like romance, albeit a dark one. I definitely think you could morph this into a more urban piece, though. Maybe if you put more emphasis on the setting or your characters? I think it would certainly help if you stressed an urban environment.

Also, I might rethink the letter format. Mark is writing this to his girlfriend right? Presumably, these are the last words that he will ever get to communicate to her. Would he spend that time relating his medical history? Maybe he would, but I feel like Sarah would know all of that already, you know? It feels like that information is just there so your reader will understand, instead of a natural reaction to the events; it feels a little forced. If you decide to stick with the letter format, I might switch this up a bit. What does Mark want his last words to be? What does he want to say?

I'd like to talk about your characters. I think you have an interesting person here. Mark is dying of an obscure disease, has been dying of an obscure disease for nearly his entire life. That has to have a major effect on his personality. The anxiety of thinking you are going to die any day, that must be terrible. How has living with this issue effected him? Really, I would like to see more of his voice in this piece. I think you have a character that has a unique perspective, if more of that perspective came out in the writing, I think it will be really interesting. What is like affected by a disease like this?

Related to that is your character's relationships. I feel like Mark and Grace have this kind of head-over-heals, passionate, deep love. Mark realizes that he loves Grace as he is dying. Wow. That is really powerful thing. However, I didn't really feel much for him. I think that's because I didn't really get to see the relationship in action. It is just kind of there, we are told it exists, kind of like it is in the background. I feel like their relationship is supposed to be the big thing in this piece, what it revolves around, and it should have more power than it does. I might flesh that relationship out some more. Right now, it's rather vague, I think if you made it more concrete and real, it would be easier for people to care about that relationship.

So overall, I liked this piece. I think that you have a very interesting set-up, and a very interesting main character, tons of potential. I might just flesh it out a little more. PM me if you have any questions or comments!

Audrey

ChibiGiraffe wrote a review...

Awww, this is so sad! :( It made me want to cry! He's not dead, right? Is he still alive? PLEASE TELL ME HE'S STILL ALIVE!!!

Ahem, sorry. Anyway, I loved this a lot. Sorry I don't have any constructive criticism...it was just great.

Journeys end in lovers' meeting.
— William Shakespeare