z

Young Writers Society



Porcelain Doll

by erilea


I am sick

of being broken.

You can apologize, shatter me, apologize more,

but what good are sorrys

against words that strike like sledgehammers?

I'm just waiting to be fractured again.

I sit with a painted smile, but it doesn't reach my glass eyes.

My jagged heart has long ceased beating.

You can't see the cracks in my polished skin from far away,

but that is because you did a good job gluing me back together.

I must plead with you--

be considerate, 

for I am not just a porcelain doll,

but a glass vase full of dreams

too precious to break.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 167
Reviews: 54

Donate
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:53 am
woahhitherepal wrote a review...



Hello I'm here to review your poem (:
So, let me start with, I absolutely love this poem. It is the epitome of something/one toxic, something/one you don't need. You describe all the emotions so perfectly.
now let me actually critique.
Like one of the last few reviews, I don't think sick needs to be "s i c k". I get that you wanted emphasis on that specific emotion but for some reason I can't exactly take that seriously? sorry if that sounds rude, but personally it seems a little childish?
otherwise I didn't see any other problems. I did really love this poem. the imagery was spot on and I loved it.
have an Amazing day!!
>Adrian




erilea says...


Thanks for the review! :D





you're welcome!!



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:04 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi! I thought I'd take a look at this - I'll make comments as I read through and then try to give more general advice at the end.

Specifics

1. I don't think s i c k needs to be spaced out like that. It's not a strong enough word to want to draw lots of attention to it and the spacing itself doesn't create any particular image or affect. If you did that with the word broken it might work better as having the letters split apart kind of looks like something broken. It would still be a bit gimmicky though and you have to be careful with that.

2. I'm not sure the image of 'cut me up' fits here. Porcelain dolls are not generally broken on purpose so maybe that's the metaphor which doesn't fit if you want this to be someone purposefully harming another? If you had 'drop me' instead, that would work better as that's usually how porcelain dolls get broken.

3.

I sit with a painted smile, but it doesn't reach my glass eyes.
Nice use of the metaphor here!

4.
You can't see the cracks from far away,

but you did a good job gluing me back together.
The 'but' feels out of place here as surely the reason you can't see the cracks is because he did a good job of gluing her together so these lines are agreeing with each other - there's no contradiction which is what the word but should be used to indicate.

Overall

I like the ending, though I'd like to understand more about how she differs to a porcelain doll and I think that if you do expand that part, it would be a good place to have a new stanza. When you switch from the similarities to her expressing her real identity.

That's all I have for now but I hope this helps a little!

~Heather




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 82
Reviews: 13

Donate
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:50 am
View Likes
AneiDoru wrote a review...



This poem perfectly describes a toxic relationship, being hurt, them apologizing, and then the cycle repeats itself. It also describes perfectly how people can hide their problems from others. This poem shows how hard it is to be in a toxic relationship with a person who refuses to change their ways and better themselves for both parties.




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 147270
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:46 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi Lupa, I like the direction you took in this poem.

I think unfortunately a lot of people can relate to the emotions and ideas expressed of being in relationship or friendship with people who are inconsiderate. I interpreted the poem to be from the perspective of a speaker who feels used in their relationship (friendship, family, love etc) and feels like the other person doesn't see or appreciate their worth. They are caught in a cycle where the other person just keeps breaking them down and then trying to repair the damage with apology. In the last stanza we see what effect that is having as the speaker as they describe the loss of joy and the plead to be treated as a "vase full of dreams" -- like a person -- rather than a "porcelain doll".

The ideas and metaphor are solid in this piece and some of the imagery is nice too. I think there are a few areas with opportunity for improvement of course. Namely I thought the flow struggled a bit in this piece. A quick way to assist the flow and look of the poem is to try to make the line lengths more even. If the line lengths are standardized often this ends up putting the syllables at a more even count which ends up helping the flow of the poem too.

Also I'm not sure if this poem needed to be divided into stanzas because there wasn't really a clear transition in the second stanza. The story doesn't move to a different point, the speaker doesn't really change at that point, so it looks like the poem was just cut in half.

Lastly, I think there are stronger title options for this piece that may better communicate the tension between fragility and value than "Made in China" which feels more like a pun than the tone and theme of this piece.

Overall, I most enjoyed that you painted a story in this piece and gave the reader a speaker that we could feel sympathetic for. I felt upset for the speaker and felt like I could emotionally connect to the piece and was interested in the drama of the poem. Really nice work here Lupa! :)

Good luck in your future writing,

~alliyha




erilea says...


Thanks for the review!



alliyah says...


You're welcome Lupa!




There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki