z

Young Writers Society



Dreams

by erilea


Dreams are like portals.

They take you to unknown places.

Maybe someplace where you ride broomsticks

Defeating enemies without noses.

But they're also like rabbit holes

where strange things happen.

Where a god and a mortal can get together

and monsters only known as myths stand in your way.

Sometimes they're gates,

pearly white gates that make you feel so happy

you're sad when you wake up.

You can dream about other things, too--

sad events, funny ones, and everything in between.

But dreams--they're like snowflakes,

because none are ever the same.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:26 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Heya! I've always been fond of poems about dreams because they're something I find really inspiring so I thought I'd take a look at this. Maybe you could make the title a little more unique though by adding another word like Phantom Dreams or Acrylic Dreams. I'm just picking at random as I've not read the poem yet but I think something extra would help draw more attention and distinguish this from other dream poems.

Specifics

1. You can cut some words out of that second line - always try to use as few padding words as possible in poetry so that the flow is smooth and every word has something behind it. I think you'd be better with:

Dreams are like portals
taking you to unknown places
with broomsticks and noseless enemies
[then maybe add some more filler here and start the rabbit holes line as a new stanza.]

2. The hints of popular literature are nicely woven in and they make me feel right at home.

3.

Sometimes they're gates,
pearly white gates that make you feel so happy
you're sad when you wake up.
I think you need to expand on this part more - is it referring to heaven and seeing loved ones again? Maybe you can add a little more flavour by describing that kind of scene.

4. It might be nice to add an extra line about how dreams melt away in the morning as well but nice use of the snowflake simile.

Overall

This is cute! I think maybe you could expand on a few of the sections more and actually break it out into stanzas to put a clear line between the different ideas but for the most part it works and it's a nice theme. Maybe you could add a few more details to the end lines as well because 'funny ones' and 'sad events' are both very vague and abstract and don't give us anything to picture. You're better sticking with solid imagery like the snowflakes or the broomsticks to fly on. Things which your reader can imagine!

Let me know if you have any questions!

~Heather




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 am
Sayer says...



I love it! It's a beatiful, surreal poem that evokes an airy image of dreams. Wonderful!




User avatar
132 Reviews


Points: 2485
Reviews: 132

Donate
Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:43 am
racket wrote a review...



Hello there! racket here to review your poem!
Okay, well, I really like this, for multiple reasons. You've got Harry Potter and Percy Jackson references in there, which is by itself a huge asset, and then the theme itself is so relatable in that we've all had these dreams (I, personally, have had the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson ones ;)) I do have some suggestions though, if you will hear me out.
The first is your punctuation. You have a heck of a lot of periods here for a poem! These kind of chop it up and make it hard to read and understand. Commas are very beneficial in poetry, in that they help separate and point out different points in a way that does not disrupt the flow of the poem. I would suggest reading aloud your poem, and turning the periods that chop it all up into commas, or if you don't need a pause there, get rid of the punctuation in that spot altogether!
Another thing that I think could help your poem would be stanzas. There are pretty clear spots in your poem that deserve to be the end of a stanza, in that they change thought completely. Here's an example:

Defeating enemies without noses.

But they're also like rabbit holes

There's a few spots like that, and I believe a few of your stanzas should only be two lines long, and others should be three or four. It's up to you; but stanzas in themselves make it easier for a reader to read the poem, and then actually understand the message.
Another suggestion: capitalization! I believe that in poetry, you either capitalize the first letter of each line every line in the poem, or you leave them all un-capitalized. You kind of have a mix, so I would go back and capitalize the first letters of every line, opposed to the beginning of each sentence.
Another suggestion; your last line doesn't really fit. I mean, it fits in context, but it doesn't give your poem the wonderful, peaceful lasting ending it deserves. It kind of just sits there and ends the poem. Abruptly. We need flow! We need a meaningful ending that works withing the poem! Technically, there is nothing wrong with this line. But if you read it, can't you just feel the endless opportunities just waiting to finish your poem better than this line?
Last suggestion: 'Where a god and a mortal can get together' Uh-uh, no-no, we can say this waaaaay better. Eloquently. 'Where a god and a mortal can unite' 'Where gods and mortals meet' 'A place where the immortal and mortal mix' You can do better! I know it! 'get together' is kind of just a messy mix of words that doesn't fit with the wonderful, hopeful flow of the rest of your poem! We can dream anything!! Doesn't that excite you? Make you want to tell the world in an eloquent, beautiful, descriptive, inspiring, hopeful way?
XD Well, other than that, good job on your poem! It really is well done, there are just a few things that could be tweaked and adjusted. Good job! Keep up the good work!
~racket




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:08 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I thought I'd drop a review on this nice little piece.

You've got a lot of good ideas here - some compelling images, and funny references to fandoms. Really, the main thing they need is a bit of organization.

Honestly, this would benefit from a bit of expansion, and perhaps being broken up into stanzas, because you seem to have two main phases going on here.

Phase I - The Fandom Phase
In my mind, this consists of this section:

Dreams are like portals.
They take you to unknown places.
Maybe someplace where you ride broomsticks
Defeating enemies without noses.
But they're also like rabbit holes
where strange things happen.
Where a god and a mortal can get together
and monsters only known as myths stand in your way.

It references Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, and I like it because it's funny and accurately reflects the mixture of weirdness/awesomeness of the fandom-related dreams we're always hoping to have. (Fandom dreams are so much fun. One time I dreamed I was the 12th Doctor's companion and we were hiding in a bathtub from an alien. Another time I dreamed I was Harry, and I pretty much went through the entire Battle of Hogwarts and killed Voldemort. That was awesome.)

The flow could use a bit of work - I'm not a fan of the "enemies without noses" line - it doesn't seem to work with the rhythm.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "and monsters only known as myths stand in your way." I think you mean "only known in myths" or "from myths." The way you put it made it sound like the monsters were literally myths.

Then there's Part II - The Philosophical Part
Sometimes they're gates,
pearly white gates that make you feel so happy
you're sad when you wake up.
You can dream about other things, too--
sad events, funny ones, and everything in between.
But dreams--they're like snowflakes,
because none are ever the same.

So basically the rest of the poem.

Here you turn for more of a philosophic bent, and while I like it, it feels disconnected enough from the last part that I'd recommend making it a new stanza. Heck, you could even make this two different poems.

I really like your imagery of "pearly white gates." It's an obvious reference to heaven, and dreams can sometimes feel like heaven, especially when your life in the real world isn't going so well. It'd be great if you could expand upon that - maybe describe how the pearly gates open and let you in and you're so happy, and then all of a sudden you wake up and are thrown out.

You can dream about other things, too--
sad events, funny ones, and everything in between.

These two lines are rather tell-y. They don't add any new imagery, and they don't carry strong emotion with them. Honestly, I'd recommend finding new images to go with each type of dream. You've got the pearly gates for "happy," maybe you could do rainstorms or something for "sad," and so on and so forth.

Your last two lines are a good sentiment that I quite like, but they're also a bit plain. Describing maybe the feeling of seeing a snowflake land on your skin, perfectly formed, for an instant before it melts away seems to me like a wonderful image you could make use of to convey what you mean here.

And that's all I've got for you! I hope this review was helpful. Good luck and keep writing!




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:49 pm
Elinor wrote a review...



Hello Artemis! (Love the username!)

I'm Elinor, and I'm here to give you a review. :) Congratulations on writing this - poetry is really hard. I've always struggled with it myself. I found myself smiling at the Alice in Wonderland references especially, probably because I'm listening to music from that movie as I'm writing this, but that's beside the point.

I do like this, and I think you've picked a good subject matter to talk about. Dreams are so fascinating, aren't they? Sometimes they're simple and other times they make no sense. I think one thing this poem is missing is the scope that dreams can have. Right now it's kind of painted as "good dreams and bad dreams" but I think plenty of dreams can be weird, confusing and everything in between. For instance, in the past week I had a dream where I was trying to find the pieces to my Halloween costume and another where I found a job as a waitress and had to serve several of my classmates.

That would be my main suggestion for you. I would also maybe dig into a little more depth about the specifics of the content of the dreams - paint some pictures! :)

Good luck! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Elinor




erilea says...


Okay, thanks so much for the review!




The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus