Which of us

by fatherfig

(the formatt this is supposed to be in is in an image in a comment below the work)

water runs to
soil
_-- -> creating vvv

something unclear
hold your breath
forever until you
understand

be the hand to pull
them from the
clay/mud-
quicksand

be the only thing
still in this turmroil

be the beacon

that shows her
where the jagged
edges can be avoided

can i sail straight
forever without
hitting land

no.

if feelings were as fleeting as silence
would i wish they were longer

i could be a stone
tough and unbothered

but would I skip at the chance
to be - b r o k e n
again?

could i hold onto it
could i hold on to
help another

if i were a rock

could i ever feel
like i was floating?

momentarily sinking
only to rush back into
the present like

sleep paralysis
or a falling dream

am i

p r e p a r e d

no.

FireEyes wrote a review...

Heya Cough! Incoming review!

I'll start this out by saying, I don't know entirely what this is supposed to be about. But hey, that's the fun in reviewing. I wish you could have gotten the formatting the same as in the picture, but oh well. With that said, let's get on with the review!

I'll start with critique.

could i hold onto it
could i hold on to
help another
I feel like the line break might be put in the wrong place if that makes sense. It feels like you made an unnatural pause if you were to have read this aloud. Now, I understand slam poetry is a thing of itself and there is a great recourse Here if you'd want to check it out. But I still don't think the line break should be there. Putting it between "on" and "to" in the second line would make it flow more naturally in your reader's internal voice.

_-- -> creating vvv
I know it doesn't translate as well in this adaptation of the formatting, but when coming upon this line, even in the original, it confused me. The arrow is pointing right, I suppose at the word right next to it, but there is also another stanza to the right. The "vvv" is supposed to be pointing downward, I guess to the stanza below it but then we'd be reading out of chronological order. It's just a little confusion.

Okay, I'm done with critique, time to praise your work! And I'll throw a little bit of my interpretation in there too.

To me, your poem is someone not wanting to get better for fear they won't know who they are. Their anxiety, depression, mood swings, ED, anger issues, all those things have been a part of them for so long. If they get rid of it or try to manage it, they're losing a part of themselves.

i could be a stone
tough and unbothered

but would I skip at the chance
to be - b r o k e n
again?
These lines struck a chord with me because I personally feel that way much of the time. There is some sort of comfort in being uncomfortable. And it is just something well off people will never understand. They say, "You can fight this. You can do this," but all they're really doing is solidifying that you are not okay, and it's pleasing to hear.

I'm glad you made this. The poem brings some thoughts I've been having for a bit into light. I know other people feel this way. And if that isn't the exact interpretation of your poem, well that's awkward XD but really, I'm glad I got something out of this.

But that's all I have for today. I hope you found some of this useful! I hope when you come back, this review makes you smile. Anyway byeeeeeeeeeee <333

Rascalover wrote a review...

Hey Sugar!

these are absolutely wonderful, and the only critique I can give is that you pull them as separate pieces of work, that can co-exist. Poets like Rupi Kaur create smaller pieces because in a society consume,ed by social media, our attention spans are only guided to consume small bits of literature and digest it. this means packing as much creativity and meaning into a small space.

Thanks for the read,
Rascalover

fatherfig says...

thank you :>

LadyMysterio says...

Hi Gem! I will start off by saying I'm not great at reviewing poetry, so I'll leave a quick comment. I love this!! Its got a lot of emotion and feeling to it.
The format is also excellent, and I like how you've made the "no"(s) bold.

fatherfig says...

thank you <3

fatherfig says...

@Hkumar

Hkumar says...

*Screams* :D

fatherfig says...

<333 :> it took a while to try to get it to read correctly despite formatt issues

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale