​Annoy Me Dear

by fatherfig

I think you do it on purpose just to build a fire

and when the fire rages and burns into my core

your big doe eyes are water pails

and my fire meets the shore

and to sing my anger to an empty stage

would crush me and not touch you

so I'm forced to try on your shoe

it doesn't fit it never will

my rage is drenched the fire is killed

and suddenly again you are a devil and throw one to many stones

I lash out the lights flicker, as I take the blame

I must be terrible- an angel's bane

I think you do it on purpose dear.

I wouldn't do it again....

kattee wrote a review...

Hello there, Gem<3

I guess I'm back again with another review. Not gonna lie, but I saw this work dated in august plus classified in the humour genre so I knew I had to review this. It's like killing two birds in one stone for my revmo checklist lol.

So talking about the humour part of this poem: Frankly, I didn't see it? I'm not certain if it's because I'm just slow, but I didn't find anything comical or hilarious in the poem. It's more of the speaker finding this newfound strength in herself. It was the strength to never fall for this "you's" trick. It's also a metaphor of her frustration, confusion, and realisation. I genuinely took this more seriously than I expected.

It did have some sarcasm, in particular, calling this "you" the speaker's "dear" --> I actually love that touch because we all know that this "you" is anything but dear to the speaker, yet he/she chooses to use that endearment because at some point, this "you" did meant a huge chunk to her.

I also like the phrasing of "angel's bane" because, usually what we could think about as an "angel's bane" is the devil. Of course, not on every occasion and this poem is one of those. In fact, the speaker wanted to differentiate him/herself from "you" who is the "devil." It was a subtle way of saying that she/he might be terrible, but not as bad as this "you." This was genuinely the striking part for me ^^

Okii, I'll move on to a few of my critiques now:

and when the firerages and burns into my core

I'm not sure if this is intentional but I just want you to be aware about the repetition in the two consecutive lines ^^ Frankly, I prefer changing the second fire to "it," instead because the repetition doesn't really add meaning nor impact to the poem.

Also, sorry for being harsh but I've come across the second line's syntax before (partially romantic and partially to show fury). I suggest making it more you? On what degree/strength does the fire burn? What does the burn feel like? Hopefully it makes sense but when did the fire rage? What triggered it? >> this could add some specificity.

and to sing my anger to an empty stage

This was an abrupt change of setting. From the fire & water combo, you moved on to singing & stage. I have two options in fixing this: one is showing the change of setting by dividing it to a different stanza; and two, continue the fire metaphor.

Personally, I prefer if you continue the fire metaphor. Do you know the poem Do not go gentle into that good night by Dylan Thomas? In here, he continually used the metaphor of night to connote death and light for life. I liked the idea that you'll never mention the word "anger" -- let that be your focal point and go around its perimetres. It's much more engaging for a reader if the poem had concrete descriptions/representation for something abstract. Not only that but you came back to the fire metaphor from the line:

my rage is drenched the fire is killed

So it would be nice if you were loyal to it.

would crush me and not touch you
so I'm forced to try on your shoe
it doesn't fit it never will

^^These lines after the stage/singing are also a mix of different settings. How would singing crush the person? That's a synapse that might need some filling. And the shoe -> fit is quite a well-known idiom. If you want to continue with the "shoe thing" (or generally the change of setting) though, I suggest putting on a better transition, between fire --> stage --> shoe.

What if the fire started on the stage and the shoe caught the first flakes? Ooooohhh I dunno. It's just an idea oof.

In the highlighted part + the line that comes after it, they don't seem to connect/ is suitable? I interpreted the shoe not fitting as the inability to empathise nor sympathise with this "you." Wouldn't that lead to heightened frustration?

There's also another couplet that have clashing settings:

I understand the throwing stones → devil relation but where did the lights come from?

My last critique would be your punctuation. I know this is a stylistic choice but you've used it in the lines

I must be terrible- an angel's bane
I think you do it on purpose dear.

But the other lines are free from it. It comes off really inconsistent. If you're going to choose whether to add punctuation or scrap all of them, I suggest the former. Having a few pauses whilst the speaker is filled with anger is powerful - it shows the attempt to restrain. And especially with the shoe -> fit a punctuation would mean that the speaker was somehow thinking it through whether trying it on was worth it or not.

That's all I could say :D Hopefully, there were no ramblings. Feel free to ask me for clarifications!

Keep writing sis <3 <3

SENDING LOVE, Kattee

fatherfig says...

:> Thank you. :>

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:16 pm
Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello, LadyGemstone!

This poem was very fun to read, and I like how metaphorical it is.

Your use of 'fire' works really well, especially because it conveys anger or annoyance -hence the title of your poem. I like how you write water too. Water quenches fire, and I found it very clever that your partner conveys water -he annoyed you, but now he's trying to calm you down.

I love how stylistic the language is, such as and my fire meets the shore/ and to sing my anger to an empty stage.

Unless this is a choice, I would like to see punctuation, like a semi-colon, to give the poem time to breathe.

Great job!
Athena

fatherfig says...

It is choice but thankyou. Keep reviewing!

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:46 pm
MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi Ladygamestoen,
I'm here with a review. I really liked your poem. It was very expressive and the repetition of fire but also the vocabulary used( crush, rage, devil) made me feel the anger of it. In the end, this anger slowly became sadness and I appreciated that as well. Using references to body parts (my core, eyes) made the pain even more real to the reader. I couldn't find any grammar mistakes. I would suggest you use punctuation or stanzas. It will make the poem sound more melodically. Your poem has a strong message with great use of words but doesn't have a melody. The stanza will make it visually more pleasant.
My favorite line of this poem would be:
"I think you do it on purpose just to build a fire". It's the first one and I feel like it sets the mood of the poem.
I am excited to review more of those 101 poems. :) Hope my review helped you,
MoonIris.

fatherfig says...

Thank you. <3

MoonIris says...

:)

fatherfig says...

gamestoen?
by the way?

MoonIris says...

I %u2018m sorry. I wrote it wrong.

fatherfig says...

It's ok . lol <3

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore