z

Young Writers Society



Across Worlds - Chapter 38 Part 1

by Noelle


Akia

While Falyn and Mina were sitting there, most likely pouting about how much Akia didn’t seem to care, Akia stared out the window aimlessly. She found nothing interesting in the dirty glass or in the dirt pile just outside of the walls. Her thoughts were consumed by only Sam. She wasn’t happy with the way she had left him. It wasn’t her choice; she was forced to leave him. If she could’ve done it over, she would’ve fought to stay.

Akia and Sam had spent the night back in that pitiful building back in Vertfay. Sam didn’t sleep much, only moaned in pain and mumbled incoherent sentences. He kept Akia up most of the night because of it. There were moments when she thought that he was recovered, that everything was fine, but they disappeared so quickly it was almost as if they weren’t there.

When morning came, he was almost back to normal. He complained less as time went on, but he still wouldn’t shut up about it. His head hurt, the lights were too bright, his body felt heavy. It took almost all of her energy to convince him to ignore the pain and focus on transporting them back. Since she couldn’t help, she could only hope that he could connect his mind to hers.

Relief washed through her when they appeared in Vertfay. She wasn’t even bothered by the nausea or the pain in her head. All that mattered was that they were home. Once Phillip knew they were back, everything would go back to the way it was.

The mistake was ruling out Rhys. Akia barely had time to propose a plan to Sam before he was on them. Rhys attacked from behind them, not even bothering with her. He threw spell after spell at Sam, ones Sam fought off with much effort. She could see how difficult it was for him. Yet at the same time, she was inspired by his determination to still fight.

It didn’t last long. Sam was knocked down within a few minutes and didn’t seem to have the energy to even stand. Terrified that Rhys was going to kill Sam, Akia launched at him, tackling him to the ground. She threw punch after punch at him, but only half of them landed. He grabbed her wrists and before she even blinked, they were in the basement of Headquarters. He locked her in the cell and left.

She kicked the wall, angry that she let everything so easily slip through her fingers. The threat of losing the magic seemed to shrink since she’d lost Sam. He was out there somewhere, either fighting for his life or fighting Rhys. Neither of those options seemed greater than the other.

“How can we get out of this cell though?” Mina whispered.

“There’s gotta be a spell for that,” Falyn responded. “If we just—"

Akia laughed, making both of them stop to look at her. “You guys have no idea. Do you really think that it would be that easy to get out of this cell? Even if you make it out, which would take very strong magic since these are made of thick metal, all of these walls are protected by azure pellets. And I know that Falyn doesn’t want to go through that again.” Azure pellets weren’t very common, but they had run into them as they attempted to escape from Agathi. Both she and Falyn spent days knocked out and it took a lot of energy out of them.

Akia turned to glare at the girls, daring them to throw out another ridiculous idea. She knew that they knew nothing about their surroundings, or even much about Lightport, but she didn’t care. They should know to listen to listen to her.

Falyn looked at Mina, probably deciding whether it was worth it to argue. She gave up and crossed her arms. Silence engulfed them once again. The only noise came from Mina’s fingernails drumming against the bars.

A loud bang came from above them. Akia glanced up at the ceiling, wondering what could possibly be going on. She hoped that Rhys hadn’t found his way into the building. Knowing Phillip, he would’ve had the kids evacuated already. Someone else was up there.

Akia waited, only daring to breathe. There were a few noises she heard after, but she was sure it was just her imagination. When no other sounds reached her ears, she sunk to the floor.

How were they going to get out of the basement? There was no way to get past the pellets without a repeat of what happened while leaving Agathi. The button that controlled them was on the other side of the door. Only a person from the outside would be able to let them out.

For the first time since she had been down there, Akia wished she was out fighting. She may not have had her powers anymore, but she wanted to have the chance to change something. If she could help in any way, she wanted to.

The door suddenly slammed open, making all three of them jump. They each jumped up and fought to get the best view of who had come in. When Sam came into view, he looked at them all strangely.

“Have you been waiting for me or something?”

“We’ve been waiting for anybody.” Falyn said.

Akia pushed past her and reached her hands through the bars. Grabbing Sam’s wrists, she begged him, “Get us out of here. Please tell me no one followed you down here.”

“Yeah, uh, no one… followed me.” He rested a hand on his head, as if it hurt just for him to remember. “Look, let’s just get you guys out of here and figure out everything later.”

“Can you get us out of here?” Akia asked, pointing to the lock on the door. To her astonishment, Sam pulled out a key. It was small and looked like it wasn’t even going to fit in the lock. But when it clicked into place, the door unlocked and swung open.

Akia rushed out and hugged Sam. “I can’t believe you found us. I’m so sorry for leaving you out there. We’ll never leave each other again, right?”

“Yeah,” he responded, hugging her back halfheartedly. “Never again.” She pulled away and looked him in the eyes. They weren’t a s bright as normal and seemed to be unfocused.

“Has your head gotten any better?” She reached up and gently touched his forehead, just beneath his hair line. There was a bump about the size of her two fingers put together. Her brow furrowed in concern. “We need to find someone to take care of you.”

He shook his head. “I’m fine. We just need to…” His eyes glazed over and he shook his head. “Let’s just get out of here. I have to lay down or something.”

Akia wanted to comfort him more, but Falyn cut in. “You did stop the pellets, right?”

“Yeah,” he responded. “Follow me.” He waved them on as he bounded up the stairs.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:22 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Here, again! c:

This may very well be the shortest review I've ever given you, because there's nothing to critique! I'm reading through this, doing my best to find something to nitpick - even the smallest thing - and I'm coming up with just bitty things. This was so so so good! The last bit with Sam was special, and mannn, I love that ending!

So I'm going to go through this and see what little things I can pull from it, okay?

My first and possibly only complaint is the transition between the present and the past - in the beginning, when Akia is remembering what happened before she found herself in the cell, and what Sam did to protect her. The writing inside it is fabulous - I love it. But I think you could do better with the transition of the before and after? Because it read a bit clunky to me, like you'd almost pasted it into there with a full, cohesive piece already there. Just smooth over the edges, make it seem more a memory. I admit the first time I read it, I was confused, unsure of what was happening and where she was.

I read it again, and now I think the flashback/thought itself could use a little work. It doesn't need much, I think, but it could use a bit of lengthening. It reads like you're zooming through way too fast, blurring the edges of what's happening. And that last paragraph with the end of the fight? Meh, me no like - make it longer. There's so much there you shoved into one small paragraph! I feel like I'm being cheated of a very amazing scene.

“Get us out of here. Please tell me no one followed you down here.”


These two sentence just don't go together, in my opinion. The first is her telling him to get them out of there... and the second seems like such a stupid question. If someone followed him down there, you'd think they'd already be there. Sam's with the prisoner - talking to them. Kill Sam. Done. And I think she'd be too focused on getting out of the cell to think of anything else until she's out and into the free. Then she would focus on any intruders. A thought~

They weren’t a s bright


*coughs* Yes, this is a nitpick. You have a space in the middle of the word there. Yeaaaah

There was a bump about the size of her two fingers put together.


Nope. This doesn't work, and it's mostly just because this isn't an example people use. Fingers put together? I use that for width of something - not the size. You use like golf-balls, fruit, etc. for that kind of thing. Then I would have a size to compare his bump to.

We just need to…”


Think of the ellipsis as an entirely different part of punctuation - has nothing to do with the period. An ellipsis is used here to show his hesitation or stopping talking for a while. It works wonderful for that, but you're missing a period. ;) Remember - totally separate. So now that you have an ellipsis (...), you need that fourth period to complete your sentence.

.... And that's all I have to tell you. I'm left here wondering what Falyn's talking about with the pellets. I know I've heard the name before, but it's been so long... and I've quite forgotten. >> So maybe the next chapter will be my reminder for that.

Great writing, as always, Noelle! c:
~Darth Timmyjake




User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:20 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hia again! Look at my streak! (Also, not reading other reviews again Dx)

I regret to inform you that this chapter was waaaaay too good for me to find broad topics, so much of this will be nit-picky (sorry).

... Akia stared out the window aimlessly.


Yeah, we know. That's all she seems to do. *ahem* It has been stated over and over again that Akia is in this state of mind that the window is the only thing that the stares at, or ever does. However, I'm curious as to why. She says aimlessly, but there's a reason behind everything. Why doesn't she sit and stare at a wall? Just saying. (it's unnecessary xD)

Relief washed through her when they appeared in Vertfay. She wasn’t even bothered by the nausea or the pain in her head.


Small typo here, as I'm sure you meant that they appeared in Lightport. Also, why is Akia's head hurting? I feel like this is some kind of hint that magic to non-magic users (are there even those in your worlds?) magic is hurtful, kind of? I don't know, but I found it a little odd and decided to point it out anyway.

Azure pellets weren’t very common, but they had run into them as they attempted to escape from Agathi. Both she and Falyn spent days knocked out and it took a lot of energy out of them.


Sorry to pull out such a chunk, but this part seemed super unnecessary. Of course we already know that this happened, as it was such a huge part of the plot way back when it happened, so how could we forget? Of course, you know it's your job, as the author, to filter out those unnecessary thoughts, and in third person it's even less important. So, why put it in there in the first place?

Also, it seems so strange to have Azure pellets in here. First off, why? Is that to keep people from using magic and blasting out (in cells they didn't even use or was it just the design?). Not only that, but it felt like Akia was about to mention something important as she said Azure pellets aren't common. Where did they get them, why did they have them comes up again? Perhaps including that would help a little.

They should know to listento listen to her.


This entire time, Akia has been whiny, moping around and not proving to be much help, but she still expects them to listen to her? I guess it kind of shows some of her personality, taking the authority, but her anger seems misplaced. Yes, she's given in, but I don't feel like it would make her agitated that they are trying to break out? Maybe because she couldn't help? I'm not really sure, but this doesn't seem right at all, as the girls must have lost all respect for her.

Which makes me think of something else. She's so worried about Sam and losing her magic, which she has a right to be, but doesn't she worry what others will think of her? She was such a huge figure in this movement she so strongly supported, wouldn't she be upset that she can no longer help out in the way everyone expects her to? Wouldn't it even cross her mind in her pity that everyone is going to see her as weak now? Something to chew on.

I’m so sorry for leaving you out there.


Akia's dialogue makes it sound like she had a choice. Because Rhys sweeping her away is definitely her choice >.>

Alright, one final thing that came up in my head while reading this, which I'm not sure is correct, but it's my thinking, isn't Sam overreacting a little? He must've took a pretty large hit to the head -- I can't remember much -- but still. It feels more in Sam's character to at least try to be more considerate of Akia as she is really hurting as of now, and he knows it and cares about her. If it's even that bad. Perhaps it may help to research head injuries? I'm not an expert, of course.

SOMETHING'S UP WITH SAM, I CAN FEEL IT. Normally, I would comment on how all this seems so strange, so perfectly timed that now, of all times, Sam comes. But there is definitely something wrong and I love it. You did sooooo well in showing us this, hinting that something isn't right with Sam, but the girls are too desperate to notice. It's a way out right?

I hope I helped a little ^^ I'm so excited to read the finale already~ Happy writing,
~Wolfare




Noelle says...


All of Sam's reactions are based off of my fun experience with concussions. Those things are nasty.



Wolfare1 says...


Ahh. Totally understandable. :3 (Ouch >.<, doesn't seem fun at all.) Again, I think it was just how not aware I am.



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:54 am
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi Noelle!

It's me again here to keep on reading. I am getting through this, slowly, but steadily. I just need the time ^.^

This chapter was a bit of a difficult one for me. There were elements of it I did like and some that I didn't like quite as much. What I liked was how we got a recap of what happened to Akia, seeing as that was something we were all wondering about. I felt like she had an interesting story which needed to be told! I did want some more in terms of the recap but I am going to mention that in the review later on. I also think it is so kind of Sam to be risking his life and trying to save them even though he is injured and not entirely present. That injury must've been a pretty serious one if it is still plaguing him, and he is really strong if he is trying to fight all the way through it. I wonder what the gang are going to try and do now in order to restore order, if they can even do that. So much stuff is happening and the future doesn't look too bright for any of them!

Okay, let me try and tackle her recitation of what happened first. I feel like we got enough to understand what had happened and how she came to be here. But it seemed pretty unfeeling as I was reading it. I didn't really get any of her emotions at all and I felt like she was kind of mean to Sam as well. She does think that a bit of herself as well and wishes things could've ended a different way, but it still bothered me to be reading about it like this. I feel like we should get some of the dialogue that was said between Akia and Sam as direct dialogue. Hopefully that will manage to ease the mean image we get of here. And then again, the whole recitation which is about half of this part of the chapter, is her recitation. None of it had any dialogue, which is why I wouldn't mind adding some more in there. I wanted to know what was being said and having some more detail when it came in relation to her actions.

More to do with the reciting of her story... I felt like we definitely needed dialogue between her and Rhys. Even if you ignore everything I said to you before, this is important. Because even if she was simply punching Rhys, I feel like something would be said. Especially as I can imagine her emotions overflowing here. There is the person who was her best friend. Who stole her powers. For all she knows, has damaged her new best friend beyond repair. Rhys has taken everything from her, and I would understand if she even hates him somewhat. She would be hurling words at him just as much as she is hurling punches, and I wanted to see and feel that emotion and be immersed in the moment with Akia. As well as that, I feel like it might be the moment where Rhys realises that no matter what he does, he truly has lost Akia as a best friend forever and she will never be able to see justice in what he is doing or come to his side. He's always been trying to convince her, and possibly prove to her just as much to the others that he can do what he always said he could. That breaking in him should be just as emotional and int he face of the reader as well. So I am saying that this scene could've been a whole lot longer and embellished because I feel like we are missing something vital from this novel here.

Another thing I wanted to see was Mina and Falyn's reaction to this big bang. You do mention what Akia things and does, but I imagine that the other two would be hoping they would be rescued. And because of this, I wanted to see how the hope would transfer into them. Would they be speaking about it, or go quite and hope above hope in silence? Or maybe their reaction the noise is panic. I just wanted it to be less centered around Akia there and have all of their reactions included.

When you mention that Sam came through the door, I didn't realise you weren't referring to the cell door! You were referring to another one which comes before the cell door. That confused me for a moment when Akia later asks if he can get them out of the cell. So maybe be a bit more specific with the first door so that other readers like me won't make the same mistake when reading ;)

Nitpick time!

which would take very strong magic since these are made of thick metal, all of these walls are protected by azure pellets.


I felt like the comma needed an 'and' after it.

Azure pellets weren’t very common, but they had run into them as they attempted to escape from Agathi. Both she and Falyn spent days knocked out and it took a lot of energy out of them.


Wait, why are you recapping things the reader already knows here? It seems a bit odd to me. Yes, this sort of thing can be tempting to do on YWS because not all reviewers will have read all the chapters and may need this, but you have to think of this in terms of a novel and realise that the reader who has read this far knows all of this already and this becomes a strange repetition of knowledge they already have. Yes, you might want to mention that they have encountered azure pellets once before just in case they forgot about the escape from Agathi. But don't recite the consequences, because the reader should be able to remember what it was.

Okay, that is all I have to say about this chapter! I was a bit more fussy than I usually am! I should be getting to the ending part of this chapter soon. Till then :)

Deanie x




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 2:34 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello! So I've read parts of this before, but not quite enough to have a full grip on your characters/ settings so if I point out something you've covered before, feel free to ignore it.

Specifics

1.

While Falyn and Mina were sitting there, most likely pouting about how much Akia didn’t seem to care, Akia stared out the window aimlessly.
The repetition of Akia here is a little awkward. Perhaps you could rephrase this to: 'Akia stared out the window aimlessly, while Falyn and Mina sat across from one another, most likely fuming about how much Akia didn't seem to care.' Annnd I repeated her name too xD But uh, at least this way there's a longer gap before that happens and I think fuming works better than pouting?

2.
When morning came, he was almost back to normal. He complained less as time went on, but he still wouldn’t shut up about it.
This is possible more of a personal thing but 'time went on' is such a vague phrase. We know that it's since morning so it's a matter of hours, but I think it would be better if you wrote 'He complained less as the hours passed,' just to be super specific?

3.
The mistake was ruling out Rhys. Akia barely had time to propose a plan to Sam before he was on them. Rhys attacked from behind them, not even bothering with her. He threw spell after spell at Sam, ones Sam fought off with much effort.
Again, this is a little vague. Much effort doesn't tell us anything. Is he getting weaker? If so, maybe 'ones Sam fought off with increasing effort' or 'with fading effort'. Also, maybe change 'ones' to attacks because that's more specific too. Every time you can use a descriptive word instead of a vague one, it will help your reader know just that little bit more.

4.
Akia turned to glare at the girls, daring them to throw out another ridiculous idea. She knew that they knew nothing about their surroundings, or even much about Lightport, but she didn’t care. They should know to listen to listen to her.


5.
A loud bang came from above them. Akia glanced up at the ceiling, wondering what could possibly be going on. She hoped that Rhys hadn’t found his way into the building.
I'm confused - didn't Rhys put her there? If he did then we've already seen that he can get into the building by portalling so he wouldn't need to 'find' his way there. He already knows?

6.
The door suddenly slammed open, making all three of them jump. They each jumped up and fought to get the best view of who had come in. When Sam came into view, he looked at them all strangely.
Try to avoid using both jump and jumped so close together. Maybe they all scrambled up or leaped up?

7.
“Can you get us out of here?” Akia asked, pointing to the lock on the door.
This feels repetetive. She asks him to get them out then he says he's going to get them out and then she asks again if he can get them out, as if it's the first time she's asked. It's okay to be repetetive if it's because she's frantic but her actions aren't giving us that impression.

Overall

This is a pretty tight chapter and there's some good action and I can see at least a few differences in the characters, though it might have been nice to have even more time to see how the girls reacted differently to their imprisonment. I think they were maybe rescued a little too quickly and I feel like Akia needs to ask Sam about how he got away from Rhys because it didn't seem like that was likely to happen so I'm suspicious and she should be too. Or at least amazed or something.

Good luck with this!

~Heather




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 878
Reviews: 77

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 2:33 pm
AdjiFlex wrote a review...



AdjiFlex here for a review.

I think I need to start reading these chapters in order, because it seems I'm missing out on an awesome plot here. Though I didn't read previous chapters, I had some idea what was going on. I am a huge fan of battles, so I wish the battle scenes wore more detailed, more descriptive. How do these spells look physically? What effect do the spells have on the caster? Does the magic itself has a color or something? Help my imagination out here, if you know what I mean.
I really like Akia and Sam. I can see from here they have been through a lot together, and will probably go through a lot more. The dialogue is smooth and fluid, and it's free of grammatical and syntactic blunders, so it was easy to read.
Overall, pretty good chapter.
Keep writing!




User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 2348
Reviews: 94

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 3:21 am
Satira wrote a review...



Hi! Sorry you had to wait so long for a review. Hope I can help you out here!

Now, I'm not sure if I've reviewed any parts of this story before, but I doubt it- so for all intents and purposes, please forgive me for criticisms I may have pertaining to the plot or chapters that I have not seen yet. It's not your fault, it's mine for not reading the rest!
well, here goes...
I'm not sure where Akia is. You seem to seem to be setting up a sort of introspective detour into her head at 'her thoughts were consumed only by Sam', but all of a sudden I seem to have ended up in the middle of some sort of action. I need to see more of a definite line between Akia's thoughts, and where she is. Maybe describe where she and her companions are a little more, or just enough so that I can differentiate from where her mind is wandering off to, and the concrete present. My biggest criticism is that I just don't know where your characters are. I can't see the space, and though this is partly because I haven't read the last part of your story, I also should be able to sort of....feel the space in each of your sentences. Your characters need to interact with your environment.
Overall, though, I like your writing. Your characters seem well-developed, like you're very familiar with them, and I can read Akia's character through her actions and thoughts. You have really done a good job at immersing me in this world. Good for you.
Good luck, and keep up with this story!
~Satira





Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson