Across Worlds - Chapter 16 Part 2

by Noelle

In a flash, Falyn raced over to Archie, grabbing the collar of his shirt and pulling him close. “Tell me who my sister is and why you decided to keep this information to yourself!” To her annoyance, Archie just laughed. She shook him, forcing his head back against the bark of the tree. She ignored the look of pain on his face as she continued. “This isn’t a game. You need to tell me. Now!”

Falyn heard a soft voice call out to her. She knew who it was. Tears streaming down her face, she let go of Archie and crumbled into Zeke’s arms. He pulled her close, not caring that she was staining his shirt with her tears.

Although he was holding her in an embrace, it still felt as if he wasn’t fully there. His body was rigid against hers and his chest rose and fell at the same pace. There was no change in the beating of his heart, nothing that showed her that he cared for her.

Yet here he was, holding her in a tight embrace, hoping to comfort her. At least, that’s what she thought. As always, Zeke’s actions were harder to depict. What was he was hiding from them?

Someone cleared their throat. Falyn pulled her face away from Zeke’s chest. When she saw Sam standing not too far from them, she pushed away quickly and stood, as if that could undo whatever had just happened.

“Feeling better?” He asked, as if seeing her in Zeke’s arms was something completely normal.

“Um…a little, yeah.”

“Good, ‘cause we need to get going. Akia’s up. She says we have to go. We’re already late.” He said it in such a plain voice, a voice void of all emotion.

Falyn watched him stalk away, wondering what had gotten into him. He had Akia now; they were reunited. Why’d he still care about her?

“We should get going,” Zeke muttered as he stood. “You know Akia won’t be happy if we lag behind.”

He reached down and pulled Falyn up before heading over to join Sam. The boys were helping Akia stand. She still seemed a bit shaky, despite the rest she had gotten. Falyn knew enough about magic to know that spells draw from energy deep within oneself. It must’ve taken almost all of Akia’s energy to use that spell.

Falyn moved to join them, but Archie called out, “Thought you wanted to know who your sister was?”

“Tell me.” Falyn snapped, her arms crossed.

A smile crept across Archie’s lips. “Well here she comes now.” Falyn turned to see Mina walking towards them, a smile on her face as she bounced over.

Falyn looked from Archie to Mina and back again, trying to figure out the truth. This wouldn’t be the first time Archie had lied to her. She wasn’t ready to believe him right away.

Frustrated, Falyn stalked over to Mina, grabbed her arm and pulled her off toward the rest of the group. “What the--?”

“You told me that you’d give me answers,” Falyn growled when they reached Akia and the others. Akia turned to look at her, her face complacent. “But you didn’t give me the whole story. How long have you known that Mina’s my sister?”

“What?!” Mina said, pulling away from Falyn’s grasp. Falyn let her go, not even bothering to explain. She’d get the full story later. Akia was her main concern at the moment.

“How long have you known that Mina is my sister?” Falyn repeated, glaring at Akia. She wasn’t about to take anything but the truth. Akia had been hiding things from her long enough.

“Since you two were born,” Akia said dismissively. “I thought you two would’ve figured it out by now. It can’t be a coincidence that you two look so alike.”

“Right,” Mina snapped. “Because when we first met, we just assumed we were sisters separated at birth.” Falyn had never loved Mina more than in that moment.

Akia glared at the both of them before continuing. “You guys are sisters. Your parents split you up because they thought Falyn wouldn’t be able to develop her magic with her sister around. So they split you two up.”

“Wow, what nice parents.”

Falyn could hear the bitterness in Mina’s voice as she spoke. She hated their parents already. But Falyn was ready to give them a chance. Sure she’d never met them, but they had to have had a good reason to leave. Archie had said that her parents had business to finish in Lightport. In her mind, that was a good enough reason.

“No more hiding the truth,” Falyn demanded. “I want to know everything that is going on.” Akia looked at her, her face unchanged. She wasn’t about to give Falyn any satisfaction. Falyn pursed her lips and continued.

“Take us to Lightport. I want to be free of this. And I want to see my family; I want to be reunited with my parents.”

-----------------------------------

For the LMS contest. Word count: 834

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:47 am
AdmiralKat wrote a review...

Hello, Noelle! KatyaElefant here for another review! Let us see what we have right here!

When Fayln grabs her father's collar of his shirt(sorry about my silly structure. My excuse is i am on an iPhone and I suck at typing on iPhones) is that how does a 14 year old girl manage to pull up a man that is a buff head policeman? Does she have the super power to just lift heavy objects or something? That is very curious on how you described that scene.

I just realized the age difference between Zeke and Falyn and it is kind off gross for me. I imagine a freshman in high school dating a freshman in college. That is just gross. Why would Falyn ever want to so something like that? What the heck? This is why Zeke should be forever alone in the corner, nomming on cookies like any normal character would do?

I wonder what her real family will be like. I wonder what their family life would have looked like if they had not been separated early on. I bet it would have been like at the Weasley's house where everything is magical and amazing. I wonder... What if the mom were dead? I haven't heard anything about them seeing their mother. All that I have heard about is them seeing their father. *i bet I am right*

And as I predicted... Mina is the sister. You had this planned all along didn't you? You planted the seeds to make it obvious but not obvious enough! If I were better at looking at hints, I would totally have seen that coming but I didn't! You caught me this time but my goal is to not gey caught again!

Keep calm and keep writing
KatyaElefant

Wolfare1 says...

(Falyn is 16 :P)

AdmiralKat says...

In a different post, she said she was 14 and I have not been notified differently since then

Noelle says...

I changed their ages in chapter 6 :)

AdmiralKat says...

Ages have changed. Falyn is 16 while Akia, Mina, and Sam are 18. Zeke is 19. (wordcount: 1,967 for the LMSC) BLEEEEHH!

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here

So this chapter is, perhaps, the shortest of all your chapters in this novel - or I should say, this part of the chapter, because you write fairly long chapters, really. That's one thing I see in your novel as I go along - varying chapter lengths. Each chapter is different in length, and that helps break things up. And, in all reality, no scene is the same length so our chapters can't be the same length, either, can they?

This was a very emotional chapter for Falyn (and me). She seems to be taking it out on Archie a little bit, especially in the beginning, which was gooooood. He deserves it for getting her all riled up and everything. Its a strange fact that he was charged with protecting her, and I still can't seem to wrap my head around it. Fully. I'm not sure if I believe him yet, but something tells me he is telling the truth in that part. It's also a little strange that he would inform her of her sister's existence. He likes sharing all the secrets she knows nothing about, doesn't he? It almost makes me smile how people have hidden things from Falyn so successfully for so long, and one person comes in and destroys it all. He is giving a lot away.

Livvy is right. You are doing a wonderful job making the romance in this story not cliché. You know, I haven't pestered you even once about any romantic cliché stuff... and that's because there aren't any. You keep such conflict and tension and confusion in the romance, and Zeke is there - and Falyn seems to care for him, although it doesn't seem as though Zeke's returning the love. Sam cares for Falyn, but isn't really showing it to her (she thinks so, anyway), and because Akia and Sam are talking a lot now, Falyn thinks they're in love..... Gah, it's such a perfect confuser. You're doing a marvelous job with the romance. Just wonderful. Bad for the characters, and so wonderful for your book and the readers. Yay!

“What the--?”

Doing an Em-dash immediately following a question mark is completely kosher. :D In other words, it's fine. So you don't need to have this confused jumble of punctuation at the end here. You can change it, if you want, to: "What the?--" Now that I look at it, I can see why you didn't do that. It looks funky. So does the version you used, although not as much. Perhaps take the question mark out altogether? The fact that it's a question is established by the What there at the beginning of the sentence, so it's not really necessary. We can tell it's a question without the question mark to tell us, I mean. So perhaps: "What the--" would be a good choice. Simple, and looks neat and tidy.

Falyn turned to see Mina walking towards them

I am going to confess something to you. I completely forgot that Mina was in this group until the whole sister issue, where Falyn was thinking about who it could be. Yeah. You don't give Mina enough attention I think, because I honestly forgot about her existence up until this sister issue began to show itself. And I don't think that's really a good thing. The reader needs to have constant knowledge of the characters, their feelings, their everything. So perhaps in the previous chapters you could give us more on her? You did a marvelous job with her when they were in that house, and Archie and the rest were attacking and all and they had to hide in the bathroom, because of her actions and apparent feeling about the whole situation, but from there till here she has kind of been an invisible character. At least to me. Perhaps not so to other readers, and I am just imagining it. I do that a lot. :P

How long have you known that Mina’s my sister?”

For having just said that she wasn't going to jump and just believe Archie, she sure went and just seemingly did that. In this situation, I would have liked to see a bit more conflict between her and Mina. Well, perhaps not between them like crossing swords, but Mina contradicting what Falyn is saying... especially because this is, no doubt, extremely random and confusing for Mina, and Falyn is speaking absolute rubbish to her... and yet she isn't throwing that big of a fit, really. Not big enough for me. More accusations thrown at Akia would be good there, I think. Just to set her mood a little more and show the reader she isn't going along with it straight away. It takes a moment to even believe the truth, doesn't it?

I don't think I have anything more to say on this chapter. You've done a marvelous job writing this chapter, probably the best of any you have done so far, and I just think the entire story is really getting better and better as we go along, as is your writing. Your writing in the first chapter was good. This style was excellent. Very fun, and well-written.

Onto the next!
~Darth Timmyjake

Noelle says...

Ugh, Mina is one of those annoying characters that just wouldn't go away xD I love her, but she's seriously causing me some problems. I completely agree with you about her. I'll have to make some major changes when I go back and edit. Weeeeee more editing fuuuunnn! (I hate editing) (I'm also hyper right now) (not enough sleep)

timmyjake says...

hee-hee

*takes all candy*

Noelle says...

That's fine, I'll just sit here and eat my cake. *noms on cake*

timmyjake says...

hmph. enjoy your beer, too.

timmyjake says...

hmph. enjoy your beer, too.

Noelle says...

xD I had wine last night. It was gross. Now I'm not too keen about trying beer.

timmyjake says...

hee-hee

Wine is gooood stuff, although it can be quite dry sometimes. Bleh.

Noelle says...

I think I was surprised at the taste seeing as I've never had alcohol before. Maybe it'll taste better when I try it again.

timmyjake says...

Try a different flavor, too. Like if you had a red wine, they usually taste better to me. White wines are too dry for my taste. :P

hehe And I am not 21....

Noelle says...

I'm getting all this advice from my friends that aren't even legal yet xD

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:47 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

Ok. Im a little more calm now. I'm actually kinda sad her sister wasn't Akia. But I figured it would be Mina. Dont think I like the Zeke and Falyn thing though! I mean, she's supposed to like Sam and vice versa! And niw suddenky she likes Zeke and he cares for her so much? It's weird. So, let me see if I can do a proper review now. The grammar seems perfect, so your editing has gotten bette. That's a good note! I think you split this chapter up weirdly though. As far as word count goes, anyway... I'm so sorry my reviews have been so short, but I keep wanting to go on and I have nothing to complain about because they're so good! Wish I had decided to catch up earlier! As always,

PeanutPhoebe

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 pm
Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Noelle! I came back for more!

Oh, so her sister is Mina! I had a nagging suspicion it might go that ways too, but seeing as you said her parents remained at Lightport I believed it was probably Akia. I wonder if this is going to change Mina's relationship with her at all, or if everything is going to stay the same. You did mention that they already treat each other like they were sisters anyway ;) I am also trying to figure out what mind game Archie could possibly be trying to play, but am failing to. There has to be a reason for him giving out all this information so freely, and it probably has to do with something that will free him or help himself out some way.

Ooh there is a little bit of love confusion going on here. Falyn thinks Sam likes Akia and so is trying to favour Zeke even though she's suspicious, but then Sam really likes her and all... it's like a love triangle but then not really because it's a square and no one is actually dating another person yet. I much like it better this way than the usual cliché. ^^

“Um…a little, yeah.”

You need a space there between the three dots and the next word. If you don't have that space included after the ellipsis, then the two words are connected, and technically that doesn't make sense. It's a common mistake but also a pet peeve of mine. So make sure you include that all important space!

“Thought you wanted to know who your sister was?”

I know she got a little bit distracted when she started thinking about Zeke and had Sam catch her at the hug, but I doubt she would just abandon and completely forget about the information she so wanted to hear. I really think she would've asked again instead of Archie reminding her, and Falyn turning back like it was an afterthought. Just mentioning this...

What would be cool would be to see Archie's reaction to her bursting in tears. Does he like this confusion? Is he smirking? Or does he seem a little sad to see the person he treated as a daughter so hurt by him? I feel like even though he isn't her father he would've still established some sort of connection with her during all those years. So, a reaction mention would be appreciated.

Your parents split you up because they thought Falyn wouldn’t be able to develop her magic with her sister around. So they split you two up.”

The second sentence isn't really needed. It's a repeat of what is first mentioned at the beginning of the first one. My advice is to cut.

So now Mina knows that the people she believed were her parents and family also aren't really who she thought they were. I want to see how she is taking this? I know her anger is what is shining through at the moment, but right now she seems to strong. Knowing you've been lied to is a big blow, and I want to see how much it hurts her, and where it hurts most. I can even see Falyn comforting her seeing as they are now sisters and have been through the same ordeal. So, more on the part of Mina when it comes to this discovery.

Other than those few points, I really can offer you no more advice. You've got it here. So keep up the brilliant writing ^^ I am going to read more :)

Deanie x

Alchemist wrote a review...

Heya! Here I am!

Wow, she has no respect for her dad. And he doesn't have respect for her. You know it bothers me so much. I would have never ever hit my father, even if it turned out he was a guy who kidnapped me 19 years ago. Well, I think Archie should have some respect towards her too. He is mocking her here. Why would he do that? If he was the guy Falyn's parents entrusted her with, and not a random Force guy given a kid to take care of, he should love her too.

Her and Mina are sisters? Not sure if I acutally like this. Mina is pretty much useless so far, without a place in this. Now she might end up being a useless sister. Well a strange turnaround anyway, you got the knack for plot twists.

Romance with Zeke, huh? I'm not sure if you decided on this one thanks to the ships your readers had, I'm rather sure everyone gave an assumption on romance, even I did. Well it's a strange turn. Why did she conclude Sam only cared about Akia? Though he didn't really pay much attention to Falyn indeed.

I wonder if Akia will finally tell her that she is going to die when facing Rhys. Well, it also seemed like that would ruin his plans somehow, no? It will be an interesting thing to wait for.

Style is good so far Noelly, keep on writing and don't forget to tag me along when these are out. Yosh!

-Alchemist

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:14 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...

Hello Noelle!

This was pretty good! I like the emotions in this part of the chapter. You have Falyn having a lovely melt down, and Sam being somewhat jealous. You also have Mina feeling rather hurt by the parents she never knew- which is an interesting concept if you think about it.

You're not giving me much to work with lately. I honestly don't have much to say, except that I think Mina should be denying the fact that she's Falyn's sister... or something. Mina, after hearing quite randomly that Falyn's her sister, jumps right in the bout, and don't hardly think twice about what she's just heard.

The only other thing is that I thought this could have been a lot longer. It just felt a bit short to me - the whole chapter, that is. It's just that there's so much in this chapter, that I think it would kind of flow better if it was spaced out a bit more. Just a suggestion. :-D

Anyway, all around it was pretty good! Keep it up!!!

-Socks

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 am
r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review this chapter, Noelle. How much of this did you write in the WW or two that we did? I can't wait to see what happens! Anyhow, I certainly hope this helps you! :)

That is strange. It seems to be a little bit out of character for Sam. You also made this a little too wordy.

Well I guess that I was wrong about Akia being Falyn's sister. Oh well. I don't really know Mina very well though, so I couldn't really guess that.

“You guys are sisters.
Hehehe! This is funny. You say you guys are sisters instead of you girls. I know what you mean though I just thought it was ironic how you decided to word this.

“Wow, what nice parents.”
I kind of agree with Mina here, though I think you might want to consider adding an exclamation point

I kind of get the impression in this part of the chapter that Akia is a villain, though from my overall experience in reading this book I think that she is good. I am kind of confused about this. I mean why would Akia be so cold hearted. This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Overall I liked this chapter in the sense of how you wrote it, though I am upset with some of your characters. I guess I will just have to see where this goes! I didn't really find a whole lot of errors which is good. I thought you could have made this a little bit longer but...on the other hand you did end well!

Just as a reminder I will say that I think you could pick up the pace a little bit since not much time has taken place. Happy writing!!! :D

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:38 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello Noelle, Wolf here for a very hate filled review.

Now, as you probably know, I am very broken. The first have destroyed my feelings, and the only reason I didn't zip right through it was because the irony and emotion was laid on there so thickly, I couldn't go on. That's not a bad thing, it's actually a wonderful tactic for creating suspense and keeping readers engaged, I'm just not very good at handling ironic situations in books or movies, so you know, I have to read it in pieces.

So I did talk to you a bit about this in chat, and you got to see my wonderful reactions to your work firsthand, and I still plan on murdering you in your sleep really want to see more! As usual, you do a fantastic job in this chapter, and I really don't have many complaints about this chapter.

As discussed with you, be careful not to change Falyn too much, and I think there is one spot that kind of steps out of third person limited:

She wasn’t about to give Falyn any satisfaction.

I don't like this very much because it kind of makes me think this is a fact instead of Falyn's assumption. Be careful of little things like that, but you don't do it very often.

That's basically it. I gave most of my review to you already, so sorry for this shortness. (I'm great at keeping secrets, or not telling people things :P) Keep Writing Awesomely!
~Wolfare

The reason a boat sinks isn't the water around it. It sinks when water gets into it. Don't let what's happening around you weigh you down.
— dalisay