Switching the POV of Happier by Ed Sheeran :)

by Thisislegacy

Walking down 29th and Park

You saw me in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
I look happier

Saw me walk inside a bar
He said something to make me laugh
You saw that both our smiles were twice as wide as ours were
Yeah, I look happier, I am 

Ain't nobody hurt me like you hurt me
But ain't nobody love you like I did
Promise that you will not take it personal, baby
If I'm moving on with someone new

'Cause baby I look happier, I do
Your friends told me one day you'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know you were happier with me

Sat on the corner of the room
Everything's reminding you of me
Nursing an empty bottle and telling myself I'm happier
Aren't I?

Ain't nobody hurt me like you hurt me
But ain't nobody need me like you do
You know that there's others that deserve me 
But my darling, You am still in love with me

But you guess I look happier, I am
You could try to smile to hide the truth
I know you were happier with me

Baby, I look happier, I am 
You knew one day I'd fall for someone new
But if he breaks my heart like lovers do
I know that you won't be waiting here for me

Hey I just got the idea to change the POV of Happier by Ed Sheeran. Let me know if this way still expresses some emotions and if you prefer this POV or the original one. (Not trying to take any credit away from Ed, I love his music.)

Hey Legacy, love Ed Sheeran, so this was neat to read with the song playing in my head.

So I'd love to see you take the POV a bit further, even if it messes up some of syllable count in some places - you could go further just changing "you" to "I" and "saw" to "you saw".

For instance every time it says "you looked" or "I saw" -- just changing the pronoun doesn't change the perspective too much, it's subject is still outside of the person doing all the action.
So rather than saying "you saw me in another's arms" you could say "I was there in another's arms" - do you see how that makes the subject even more clearly outside the original perspective?

There were other places you could take another step to change it up more too. Like rather than saying that the guy saw her laugh - you could actually say what the joke was. It's also odd from a first person perspective to say "I looked happier" -- it doesn't seem sincere. You could change it to "I was happier" or "I tried to look happier" depending on what you're trying to portray.

Overall, it was a creative thing to do with a song, but I'd love if you took it a bit further exploring this other perspective.

best,

alliyah

This Review was brought to you by:

Mathy wrote a review...

Hello, @Thisislegacy! I am here to review your work and to lead the Red Pandas to victory this Review Day! Let me begin by just saying that I am a stranger to Ed Sheeran's work as I do not like his genre and his music is just not for me. Still, I am going to try to review this to the best of my ability and give this poem the benefit of the doubt by assuming that the grammatical errors and/or irregular wording is just from the song itself, and not you. Let's begin,

First off, I noticed an error you made when translating the POV, or an error that Ed Sheeran made that he never bothered to fix. The line "You am still in love with me" doesn't make a lot of sense, as it should be are in love with me. It would be funny if Ed Sheeran was just referring to himself and asking himself if he still loves himself or if he wants to change and become and entirely different person. Either way, this does not take too much away form the poem itself and it may just add a little bit of meaning to it.

That's all for errors. Everything else sounded like the natural errors that you find in pop songs that make the song flow or feel more natural to sing. I really liked reading this, even if I did not get the context or understand what it was about very much. I hope to review more of your work soon. See you later! ZeldaIsShiek- OUT!

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon