Muse

by Thisislegacy

I'm waiting for a muse. 

Muse, come here

I need some words to speak,

to write,

to feel.

-

Muse, 

can you give me some words?

Can you give me something worth saying?

-

My words are a speck of dirt to all of Earth. 

A drop of water to an entire ocean.

A star orbiting in a solar system.

Just an entity to someone with multiple personas. 

-

Muse save me,

I'm drowning in emotions

that I cannot express. 

-

Muse, help me,

save me from myself. 

-

Muse, come back? 

-

A/N I wrote this because I am suffering from writer's block. I have the urge to write but I cannot come up with the words to explain and show how I am feeling. I did some editing, but tell me if it still needs some improvement. Legacy. 

Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am
passenger wrote a review...

hi there.

I thought the repetition was an effective tool in this piece. in general, I find poems written on the topic of writer's block (whether for therapeutic value or to be "meta") to be poorly executed, but I rather enjoyed yours. your punchiness and simplicity are enticing. I have one critique: there are a few places where it seems like words should be added or taken away. for example, it seems like you should add the word "solar" before "system" in the third line of stanza three, and maybe take away the "my" before "emotions" in the fourth stanza.

just thoughts; do what you will. good luck curing your writer's block!

thanks for sharing, and best of wishes.

Thisislegacy says...

Thank you for the review.

Jurelixranoanad wrote a review...

Hi, J here for a review.
I feel like every writer in the whole world can relate to this piece, I get writers block all the time so this was nice to read.
On to things that I didn't quite understand, was the marks indicating a new stanza or did it just indicate a thought? "My words is a speak of dirt" is that aiming to be "My words are a speak of dirt" or was that the way you meant it?
Also this may just be a dumb question coming from an ignorant fool but why is there a question mark after "Muse come back". It may add effect and I just can't see it but if it is not meant to add anything I would consider taking the mark out.
On to better things, this was an effective poem that I enjoyed reading. Over all I'd say this was an awesome piece I hope writers block will have mercy on you soon

Good Job and Keep Writing!!

Atticus says...

Hey you stole my profile pic lol

Thisislegacy says...

Thanks for the review. I have the mark for confusion and effect. It makes sense to me :). I think you would enjoy my other works if you ever get the time.

DragonNoir wrote a review...

Hello! DragonNoir here for a review!

I can relate a bit; I've rarely gotten writer's block, but when I did, it was the most painful thing since a papercut to the eye. I swear that muse is a verb, not a noun... Meh, I'm not really sure so I'll let that slide. I really like the poem in general, it has a good structure and I find it very effective.
However, you made one or two mistakes in the whole thing, but hey, everyone makes mistakes. The first would be this:
"My words is a speck of dirt..." It should be "My words are a speck of dirt..."
The second mistake, I don't really know if this is a mistake or whether this was intentional:
"Muse, come back?" I don't understand why you put a question mark there, but I may just be an ignorant fool who doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'effect'.

Overall, I'd say this is an awesome piece of poetry. I hope writer's block will have mercy upon your poor soul :)

I hope my review helped! :)

Thisislegacy says...

Thank you for the review dragon. I will fix that slight grammatical error. And the question mark is for effect.

ExOmelas wrote a review...

My words is a speck of dirt to all of Earth.

"is" should probably be "are".

The first thing I can think of here is an opportunity you could use. There's long traditions of elegy poetry that call on the Muses as part of their structure. They usually go something like:

"O Muse, [call for help],
[Nature mourning]"

This is a form you could really play off here. You could write it as an elegy for your inspiration. This is a slightly comic form once you parody it this way though so this is only a suggestion.

I like the way you peter out towards the end. This makes the hope sound like it's fading.

A drop of water to an entire ocean.

A tear to someone filled to the brim.

This is basically the same metaphor twice. Maybe use a different example.

Just one entity to someone with multiple personas.

This also sounds a little awkward. It's not as bad as saying "as big as a big person", but it's along those lines.

Sorry this review is so unstructured, you don't have very many systematic issues. Overall, this was an enjoyable read :)

Biscuits

Thisislegacy says...

Thank you for the review. I will fix that.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec