Blackout Poem number 1

by Thisislegacy

We roamed in the forest 

The sun stayed fix above our heads.

We went through trees without leaves, chirping of birds accompanying us. 

-

A frosty breeze kissed our skin in the darkness.

This place was perfect to hide. I retreated deeper into the darkness.

-

Coldness seeped into my body,

I took a deep breath and emptied my mind;

Pain pierced me like hundred of needles, 

I wouldn’t turn myself to darkness so easily. 

-

The sun was setting; I look to the sky. 

Soon, the moon would rule it,

A/N Legacy here trying out a new form of poetry, black out. Tell me how I did. Was I successful? 

Thu May 25, 2017 4:08 am
rainforest wrote a review...

Hello! Irid here with a review.

First off, I love black out poetry! It's such a beautiful form of writing and I'm really glad you did this.

Now, I understand you're working with what you have on a page, therefore the specific words you want may not come out grammatically correct, so that's okay. I did see a few things that I would like to edit that are very simple. There are people that don't know what black out poetry is, so the small stuff at least has to look good.

I took a deep breath and emptied my mind Pain pierced me like a hundred of needles,

I would uncapitalize that "P". It just looks rather strange, and maybe add a comma or a semicolon after "mind". Just my suggestion. :)

The sun was setting I look to the sky.

Soon, the moon would rule it,

So after "setting", I would probably add a semicolon or a comma, and then on the last line, I would get rid of the comma at the end.

I'd of course like to touch on the subject of the poem itself, also.

I really like the tone of the poem, but I'm a bit confused. I noticed you used the hyphens to break up the stanzas/couplets. I didn't know if it was all one uniform poem or they were small poems broken up. If it's a uniform poem, each line fits really well to the topic for it being a black out poem, which I absolutely love. I'm super glad I got to read this and thank you for taking a hit at this. It's absolutely wonderful and I want to see more black out poetry from you. Thank you for the good read!

-Iridescence

Thisislegacy says...

It's all one piece. I will fix the small things. I might make another one today. Thanks :)

moonlitwriter1108 wrote a review...

Hello Legacy,

I don't actually know what blackout poetry is? Can you elaborate?

This poem is so great though, I love that it doesn't rhyme like some people expect a cliche poem to.

I couldn't find any errors, except for

"I took a deep breath and emptied my mind Pain pierced me like a hundred of needles"

Is there suppose to be a comma after mind?

Anyhow, great work. I love the feeling this poetry gives me. At first I think it's going to be a bright loving post, but then I start to feel a little bit of darkness behind it. There's definitely some type of love story here in my opinion.

You did a great job! Keep up the good work and I would love to read more from you :)

Thisislegacy says...

Black out poetry is when you use a page from a book or an article or something and then cross out words to create a poem. It really helps for people that get overwhelmed with all the possibilities.

And you could also check out some of my other works if you have the time. :)

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus