12+

Frazil

by zaminami

I stand, my feet in the wind-swept snow, staring at the frazil that had turned the river into Mother Nature’s art project, framed by sugar-coated pine trees to the front and back of me. Shuffling closer, I could see the small, white sparkles that reflected the sun’s rays that was just peeking through the silvery clouds. A blizzard is coming tonight. The weathergirl had said that it was going to be several feet of snow. I didn’t believe the weathergirl. There hadn’t been any signs of the blizzard; there were no sudden chills, high winds, or days where I couldn’t even drive because of the visibility. No, everything was as clear and as nippy as it should have been in the winter. In fact, it quite reminded me of an autumn chill that I, as a child, got I forgot to wear socks or a coat on particularly cold days.

Turning to my right and trudging alongside of the frozen river in my black boots, I couldn’t see any sign of humanity anywhere. No ashy air that you required horrendous gas masks to breathe in; no oil and gas spewing out of cars wherever I looked; no tall city skyscrapers with their neon lights flashing about the next building’s wonderful product; no, nothing at all. Just me and Mother Nature, dressed in sweeping ivory furs and her pine tree necklaces and translucent boots; me in my olive sweater and teal jeans and crimson winter coat. I smiled at Her, hoping that She didn’t catch the too yellow-and-black teeth that I now sported ever since the government banned fluoride for its toxicity two months ago. I closed my mouth, embarrassed, and ran my somewhat swollen tongue against the backs of my teeth.

I turned a corner and a welcome sight greeted me of an awkward black-skinned boy, dressed in a colorless chiton that blew in the small breeze, and a beautiful girl with apparent bleached skin, dressed in a black, ragged cloak (I couldn’t help but notice that the cape, nor the hood, blew in the breeze, but her short white hair did). I sighed in relief—there are other humans, humans like me, who still care about the places like this—and dragged myself through the sastruga towards them. As I got closer, I realized that the ginger-haired boy’s robes were in golden patterns that seemed to change non-stop; at one moment, there were trees decorating it. Then, deer. Then, humans dancing around a golden fire. I stared at those patterns, feeling hypnotised. A crunch of snow startled me out of my trance, startling me. The strange girl had taken a step forward in her bare feet.

“I am Bella,” she said, holding out her hand. Her fingernails were like claws and colored brown, much like someone with a fungus infection. “But you can call me Donna. It’s my middle name, before you ask.” Her voice was high and wavering.

In the back of my mind, something faint told me that the names “Donna” and “Bella” somehow went together, and not in the best way. However, the girl gave me a flattering, bright white smile, so I shook her hand. “I’m-”

“And I am Vivian,” the ginger boy said in a voice not unlike his companion’s. He held out his hand, also, which had lumps riddled all over that a person would associate with an older person with arthritis. “Donna’s older brother.” He glanced at her with a smirk on his face that soon faded when she ignored him. Vivian pulled his hand away before I could shake it. I furrowed my eyebrows at him, put off by his rudeness.

“Do you like this place?” Donna asked me, rocking on her heels. “I think that it’s super pretty, with the fir trees and the snow and everything.” She gave me another flattering smile, winning me over as a whole. I glanced at her hands again. Why did I think that she had infected fingernails? They were a pristine cream color that I would see in the ads in the city. Glancing back at her face, I nodded.

Vivian stood there awkwardly, picking at a scar on his left elbow. Then, without notice, he was watching my face with interest, as if trying to see something in my soul. He all of the sudden smiled. “Hey, do you want to see something cool?” he asked me with childlike wonder. “I know something that’s super awesome over the river.”

“But I do too!” Donna shouted out of the blue. “I had forgotten until now. How about if we go on the other side? There’s something that I want you to see even more!” She shot me yet another room-brightening, becoming smile and pointed to the opposite side of where her brother had. “Let’s go there.” Donna clapped her hands and jumped up and down (her cloak moved with that action, I noticed. The contradiction worried a little part of me, but I put that in the back of my mind).

I looked between both of them. As I looked at each other, the awkward, red-headed black-skinned boy compared to the confident, beautiful, bleached-skinned girl, I knew my decision immediately. I lifted my finger and aimed it at Donna, who clapped again with glee. “Come with me!” She exclaimed. Donna turned around and began to almost glide on the snow towards the fir trees to my right. I followed posthaste, though far less graceful.

The pine smell surrounded me from all sides while I followed Donna, who was, step by step, gaining distance from me. Soon, she was running and I was attempting to get after her, but just succeeded in lunging my way through the thick forest, running into cruel branch fingers and scraping my cheek. At this point, I couldn’t even hear her over my heavy breathing and thumping heart, so I stopped and listened harder. I couldn’t hear anything, so I decided to turn back.

However, when I turned back around, there was a wall. “Keep Going,” a sign said. I shook my head. I didn’t want to. The gray wall loomed over me like a mountain, blocking my way from the right choice that I should have made an hour ago. I couldn’t climb. I worked at an office—I never ran or did anything. I just rode a taxi everywhere that I needed to go. I sighed and defeat and turned around, and then saw something that made my heart jump to my throat.

There stood an old hag, dressed in the same clothes as the girl. Her thinning white hair flowed out in all directions, even though there was no wind; her evil smile starred discolored teeth (not unlike mine); the translucent skin that she sported was falling off, showing off yellowed bones; and, worse of all, she had a skeletal hand that was held out for me to take. “It’s Donna,” the hag said in a croaky voice. “Belladonna. Don’t you recognize me?” Her face flickered to Donna’s for a split second as I stood there in shock.

A handsome man, red-headed and dark-skinned, jumped from a tree and joined the hag. With a start, I recognized his knobbled hands. “V-vivian?” I shouted, my voice rising up into a squeak. I couldn’t help but stare. Instead of a toga draped over his childish-thin body, he had chiseled muscles and a face to match. However, I looked back at Belladonna’s face and all thoughts of Vivian gave way to pure terror.

“You made the wrong choice, Mara Kennedy,” Death croaked. She lunged forward and grabbed my arm while I screamed. “Now, come with me to your new home—The Underworld.”

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:22 am

Hey Zami!

Saw your note so I thought I'd leave a review. :)

So I think you do a great job of highlighting these really specific detail that set out a scene and give in some real depth (while ignoring cliche phrasing I might add as well).

I think one thing you can work on though, is how many details you add per sentence. For instance, "I stand, my feet in the wind-swept snow, staring at the frazil that had turned the river into Mother Nature’s art project, framed by sugar-coated pine trees to the front and back of me." This sentence alone is describing like four actions of the speaker and then several images of the surroundings. As a reader, it's easier to consume maybe two or three images/actions at the most per sentence, or else it get's to be a lot to keep track of. So retain the details, but watch those really long sentences that wind around and around.

I really liked the running scene where Donna gains speed and then just takes off, there was a sense of urgency and enchantment with which you described the scene. I think that there could be a bit more internal dialogue when Mara makes that decision though - because that ends up being the fateful decision. As a reader I want to know what her motivation/thought process was behind it.

You really do paint a beautiful setting. I liked how you described the people and the forest - it just all folded together in an eerie and beautiful sort of way.

I do think that the "wall" could be described a bit more - was it magic did it pop out of nowhere, was it brick, was it stone etc etc.

Also I was curious at the end, you described how Donna and Vivian had changed, but did Mara also experience this aging in her body? How did she look and feel?

Nit-picks

In fact, it quite reminded me of an autumn chill that I, as a child, got I forgot to wear socks or a coat on particularly cold days.
- a bit awkwardly phrased, because normally people don't say in their thoughts "I, as a child" -> could maybe change to "It reminded me of when as a child I ..." I think there's an extra "I" in there as well.

Just me and Mother Nature, dressed in sweeping ivory furs and her pine tree necklaces and translucent boots

Ha! I liked this up to the translucent boots which was a little much, and I didn't quite get the reference.

I turned a corner and a welcome sight greeted me of an awkward black-skinned boy, dressed in a colorless chiton that blew in the small breeze, and a beautiful girl with apparent bleached skin, dressed in a black, ragged cloak (I couldn’t help but notice that the cape, nor the hood, blew in the breeze, but her short white hair did).

this is another example of a sentence that seems to wind and wind and go on a bit too long. Break it up. :)

I followed posthaste, though far less graceful.

I think it ought to be "though with far less grace" or "though far less gracefully" - not entirely sure though.

I worked at an office—I never ran or did anything.
[/quote]
I think clarifying the "anything" would be good. Surely the speaker does things right? Just not physical labor, or exercise, or things like that.

That's about all I had, interesting story! Good luck with the contest. :)

~alliyah

zaminami says...

Wow thanks dude :)

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:07 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I thought I'd come respond to your request for reviews! Sadly I'm really short on time today, so I'll divide my thoughts on this into two parts and make it brief.

The Story
Not bad at all, I definitely enjoyed it. I like the contrast you painted between Donna and Vivian with all the imagery - it was evocative and definitely my favorite part about the story - I could feel the setting. Something I feel is important to mention is that I had to look up what frazil was, and I feel like since it's important enough to be both the title of the piece and in the first line, it needs to be clearer from the context of the first line that it's the frost on the river.

My biggest critique starts when Mara makes her decision to go with Bella. The way you described her following Donna and running until she met the wall and can't go on, just wasn't nearly as evocative as the first half of the story. Rather, it felt like we were skimming over what was happening, watching from a distance. I know you can't make this longer, so I think if you changed the tone of the sentences, made them more snappy and feel slightly more panicked as Mara tries to follow, that'll help.

Finally, the big one: the ending. I just don't know. It feels a little obvious. I put together the belladonna clue right away, and that's fine, that helps create suspense. But I guess I was just expecting at least some kind of twist at the end. Even if not a complete reversal, just for it to have some effect I didn't already expect. Basically, it's not really a surprise for the readers that Donna is evil, even if we don't know she's Death, and that Mara is walking straight into her trap. We know this. So then for it to work perfectly, for her to be (as far as we can tell) utterly doomed... there's not a payoff there. Essentially, your options are to either heavily change the foreshadowing and make it a lot more ambiguous that Donna is evil, or add something in there, some unique twist that at least partially upends our expectations.

Line-by-line

No ashy air that you required horrendous gas masks to breathe in

This sentence read awkwardly - I think the placement of 'you' is the culprit. I don't think you need it at all.

(I couldn’t help but notice that the cape, nor the hood, blew in the breeze, but her short white hair did)

You're missing a 'neither' here - whenever you have nor, there should be a neither before it. It's a paired phrase.

Why did I think that she had infected fingernails?

This should be "why had I thought", since the overall story is in past tense, and she doesn't think this anymore in the current narrative, so it needs to be the next layer of past (I forget what you call it lol)

This instances exemplify my overall critique for you on line-by-line stuff. In general, your lines that sound more formal in tone or describe images in a very specific way, tend to be the ones that read more awkwardly or have a technical error. There aren't too many of them, but they are there and little things like that can make or break contests. And then when describing her thoughts, be careful of your tenses so we aren't confusing what she used to think with what she thinks now.

Okay, so this was a bit of a harsh review and heavy on critique, so I'll just repeat - the imagery here is great. I absolutely love the atmosphere of the whole thing, with her being in the forest in the cold and with the threat of snow as she meets these magical beings, and has to make a choice. It's a great set-up, especially with the little hints we get about the not-so-great state of the human world and her normal life.

And I'll leave it at that! Hopefully this helped, and good luck with your project/contest!

Mea says...

"Make it brief" I say and this is like my longest review in two weeks lol. xD

zaminami says...

Yay! Thinks and congrats on a long review lmao

Yeah, my writing got sloppier as I went along. However, I think that those suggestions will definitely help in the long run :)

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 am
zaminami says...

Three things:

I only have 10 days to complete this, so uuu keep that in mind as you review

I have only two pages of this at size 11 and I've filled it up so tell me how to make it shorter instead of longer

Rip it apart plz I intend to win this goddamn contest

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage