z

Young Writers Society



Roasting Using Poems Part One (Haiku Form)

by zaminami


Haikus are awesome.

Haikus are fantabulous.

Haikus are not you.

--

I love to cosplay

As very ugly people.

I cosplay as you.

--

Why are you not smart

Even though you go to school

Every single day?

--

Do you hear that? No?

That's the sound of your love life

You don't have any.

--

A/N: This is not directed at you personally but it's just some fun :D


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
364 Reviews


Points: 15630
Reviews: 364

Donate
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:27 am
zaminami says...



How is this in the lit spotlight what I wrote all of these in like a minute




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 57

Donate
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:07 am
IvoryRose wrote a review...



So I might give a long review because I need points, so yeah sorry in advance. First off I thought it was pretty creative of you to use Haikus. If fact using more than one Haiku in, well in hindsight one Haiku would be difficult to include roasts. I don't see a lot of Haikus in this website and personally I find them really hard to make. Then again nothing worth doing is easy. I don't know if Haikus come naturally to you, or if you are just experimenting with different formats. Either way great job! :) The last one in my opinion was the best because it felt more playful, which I know was the point. It really made the poem feel more like playful mockery, than something seriously trying to offend others, which is a good thing. My only criticism is the third one. "Every single day?", felt a bit too much. It kind of felt like it was there for the sake of it. Overall, I thought it was good and I can't wait for part two!




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:02 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi Kara, I'll be leaving a little review for you today. When I review I like to cover several categories beyond flow and grammar, as many people find grammatical and flow comments to be irrelevant or annoying.

Grammar / Flow

Spoiler! :

The capitalization of each line ended up breaking up some of you flow because rather than reading the haiku as a single thought, there was a short pause each time I encountered a capital letter.

There were a few punctuation issues here and there. Like in "that's the sound of your love life / you don't have any" I believe you're missing a semi-colon, period, or comma.

The best flow was actually probably in the last one where you broke away from the 3 simple sentences format and had compound thoughts within lines and between lines -- this is a good way to improve flow, by sometimes letting sentences bleed on to other lines so that it's not just all choppy tiny sentences.


Theme / Humorous Effect
I mostly want to spend a second commenting on the intent of the poem, which seemed a bit off-putting. I come across this problem sometimes in my "break-up poems" or whatever you want to call them where I address the "you" in an angry way. This is really risky business, because readers might take the "you" to be themselves (even if you add a little author's note at the end). I would suggest using a different pronoun or even a generic name, because it's really hard to connect to a poem that I feel like is attacking me for no reason -- does that make sense? Like it would be funny or easier to connect to if any of the poems actually described aspects of my life, but they're so generic they don't. Like if you said, "reader, why are you wasting time, reading this poem, don't you have homework to do?" <- that would be funny because it actually applies to everyone reading it! Whereas these poems fall into two categories
A) They don't apply to the reader - so no connection, no humor
or
B) They do apply to the reader - so it hits really personally, no humor - painful to read.

There would be humor here (in my opinion) if either
A) it was clearer that you weren't addressing the reader.
or
B) The poem applied to the reader, but wasn't so mean.

Word Choice
If you decide to develop these a bit, another area you may want to work on is word choice. Most of the word choice was really simplistic. It can be difficult having elevated word choice when you have to stick to a specific form, but I think it would really assist the poem to have some better language especially in the first two poems. It's sort of the same issue acrostics run into -- everyone remembers doing acrostics and haikus in like elementary school, so they immediately think it's really juvenile and or easy to do (which it isn't easy to execute decent forms of either type of poetry). In order to combat this perception that haikus (or acrostics) are juvenile, you can either elevate the theme, elevate the word choice, or choose complex metaphors or emotions to dwell on. Since the theme is something I think a pretty young child could relate to, elevating the word choice might be your best bet.

Praise
Overall, I commend you for doing some poems in a formal style and even trying to incorporate some humor into it. Both are difficult in my opinion to do! I like that you also tried to give them a theme, although I would have loved the poems to build up on each other a bit more, like sort of reference the other ones or relate a bigger story rather than 4 separate thoughts on the same theme (of roasting). Good luck in your future writing!

Please let me know if you have any questions of clarification about my review, I'd be happy to help! :)

~alliyah


Also, I see that Lumi talked a lot about the poetic form of haiku. I personally had no idea that haikus had like a bazillion rules and traditions until a few years ago, and have stayed away from them ever since because people are so very particular about them. Personally, I don't get too upset when people say a poem is a "haiku" but don't follow all the rules of haiku although I can see where they're coming from. You might want to specify "haiku form" rather than "haiku" specifically just to clarify if you decide to do more in the future.

Here's a few more in depth articles about the subject if you're curious:
Things to Consider About Haiku
How to (not) write a haiku




zaminami says...


Thank you for the review!



Random avatar

Points: 3566
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:00 am
Mathy wrote a review...



Hi, this is ZeldaIsShiek reviewing more Kindergarten roasts in the form of Japanese poetry, so, um, let's get started?

First, I'd like to note the fact that the second and third roasts are the cringiest pieces of literature I have ever read in my life. Put that into a poetic form, and you have this. That's why I like this so much! It is hard to fit a full roast into a poem, let alone a haiku, so the roasts don't necessarily have to be good. The format is creative and unique, and that's all that matters. I think this is good, but maybe you should work on bending the rules a little. You can change the amount of syllables if you need to to make it better, just stick between 3-7 for the first and last lines, and 5-9 for the middle line. This is very unique and I really like it, but knowing you, I think you could make it a lot... darker! You are one of the most creative (and scary) people I know, so use that and create some spoooooky haikus!

Sorry I couldn't review it more, but that's all I have to say. See you next time- and have a magical Review Day!

-ZeldaIsShiek




zaminami says...


Thank you :D it was kind of intended to be bad lol


Random avatar
Mathy says...


Oh, good! I saw who wrote it and flipped! I didn't want to offend you.



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:36 am
Lumi wrote a review...



Yo, DemonGoddess. I'm gonna review this piece and clarify some things about haiku in the process, so let's talk about that!

First off, let's rip the bandage off: these aren't haiku. They do not follow the rules of natural elements contrasting to reflect upon human or worldly condition. They do not follow grammatical integrity that haiku demand. I would not classify these as senryu, either, as they do not reflect upon human nature or condition. They're meant to roast people, and that's not in the wheelhouse of the haiku or senryu subset of poetry. Sure, you're allowed to borrow the format, but I happen to be picky about things being what they're called. So what you have here are joke poems borrowing the senryu style.

Following this, you seem to have misconceptions about the need of capitalization upon new lines of poetry.

An Example Poem

For example, DG
This is
Not needed at
All if you have
Picked up what I
Mean.

And what I mean is that the old teacheresque rumor that each new line must be capitalized was an error. A wive's tale. A myth. That style is only important in acrostic poetry, which this is not.

Finally, just. Just ignoring the grammar flaws, the jokes aren't good? I'm sorry, but I just didn't laugh at all here, and I wanted to! I wanted to chuckle with you. But they can't all be winners.

All my best,
Lumi




zaminami says...


Oh, I didn't know about all of the rules in haikus. Thanks for the reviews!



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 131
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:53 pm
wordwing says...



I LOVE THIS!




zaminami says...


THANKS!




Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak