12+

zombie (dg's diary)

by zaminami

you stumble around,
repeating the same phrases,
over and over and overandoverandover again.
trying to make me better.

to my ears, they just sound empty.
empty phrases, empty promises.
"i promise it'll be alright."
empty brains, hungry for more.

your green skin, pallid,
reaches out for me to ensnare me into what you call a...
hug?
a fake one, just to lure me into a trap.

your jaw hangs open,
ready to chomp on my brain and manipulate,
manipulate me into your bidding.
to manipulate me into being "happy."

you all come in hoards, moaning:
"it'll be okay. think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
"you just need to stop scratching, hurting yourself."
none of you understand -- it's easier said than done.

it's possible that i am the zombie.
empty, worthless, dead.
doomed to stick with a random group until i get shot down.
so all i am is an animated corpse.

Mathy wrote a review...

Hey there! It's ZeldaIsShiek here to review another quintessential piece of literature that made my day and win this Review Day by helping the Red Pandas stay in first place and reaching my goal of 80 reviews. I might even get to 100, if I work hard enough. I am really excited to review this amazing piece of art that you have created, and maybe add some witty humor as well. Anyway, that's enough idle chatter from me. Let's get into the review.

I can relate with this diary entry as well. The idiots *ahem* redditors of the subreddit ThanksImCured believe that a few happy thoughts or cute GIFs will completely cheer someone up and that depression is super easy to deal with. I can also relate to the part about scratching and self-harm, as in your case hurting yourself is better than killing yourself. I like how you used the example of the zombies to show how people manipulate you into "being happy for them" or some other threat, like they won't be happy unless you are. It's damaging, that's all. I loved this diary entry from you.

That's all for today. Keep writing amazing literature that inspires me to read and review them, and have a great Review Day! Let's beat the Blues once and for all!

~ZeldaIsShiek

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this very metaphorical poem. The poem conveys the frustration of the speaker when faced with this meddling into his life. It compares such importune persons to zombies who are out to eat brain or deprive him of freedom of choice. They view him as behaving abnormally. As if he were damaging his own self with self-inflicted wounds. The speaker also views these people as setting traps or being hypocrites with malicious motives

The poem finishes by the speaker expressing doubt ion whether they might be right or not in their evaluation of him.

As a reader I felt the frustration and maybe even the disgust felt at such an intrusion. However, since details are not provided on exactly what behavior these zombies, [meddlers] are advising the speaker about, I am unable to say whether the speaker is justified or not in viewing those who give him advice in that negative light or not.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 am
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...

Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020

THIS F***ING POEM KARA. Oh. My. God. The lines, "it's possible that i am the zombie. empty, worthless, dead. doomed to stick with a random group until i get shot down. so all i am is an animated corpse." Speak to me SO SO SO much right now. So f***ing much.

Anywho, time to review this magnificent poem! One or two lines need commas. Those lines would be "you stumble around" aaannnd actually, I think thats it. My favorite line would have to be "over and over and overandoverandover again."

Now, this poem is chalked full of meaning. From self harm to feeling like a sheep surronded by wolves, it is fantastic. Fanta. Stick. Hehe. Okay, um yeah. People promise that they will keep your secrets, your sweet whispers and dark thoughts. But most don't, after all, its how the world works. Sadly.

Overall, I loved the poem and keep up the good work! Happy Thanks- WAIT, MERRY CHRISTMAS, I CAN SAY THAT NOW! OR HAPPY HANUKA! I really need to go now Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Cheerio and fruit loops to you!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 am
LakeOfCancer wrote a review...

This is really awesome, it's definitely lyrical. So first off, I think that this describes what a person feels when they don't think that anything is ok. As if they don't know if they go towards the enemy faking friendship, or to go it alone. Obviously, if I were the girl, I would go it alone, stay away from the zombie. It's clear that this poem is definitely read-between-the-lines material. But anyway, great job! I loved it a lot! Keep up the good work!

zaminami says...

thank you! this poem is about me and how people try to encourage me out of my depression but they don't understand.

LakeOfCancer says...

I get you, I understand what you're going through, cause a year ago, I went through depression, so I know how people try to get you to be happy, even though it's really hard to do that. You can talk to me about anything anytime if you ever need to!:)

HONK
— The Golden Goose