Home » Literary works » Poetry » Humor

Dragonslaying is Not a Viable Career Path

by Horisun

The Town cheered
As the Hero returned
Having slain the dragon
They all had feared

He came back with
Golden Goblets, a Ruby Ring
Shining Mirrors, and Diamond Bling
One would have expected
He'd live like a King

But in a Village so poor
One could not afford
The luxuries of
The Rich and Bored

In the Winter Months
Our Hero longed for a fire
But first he'd need coal
And what Blacksmith wants a Sapphire?

As the Storm persists,
And our Hero grows thinner
What poor baker would want
A necklace for dinner?

And that is how
A brave, courageous bloke
Died tragically young
Completely broke

Sad as it is
Gold causes indigestion
So when it comes to Dragon Slaying
Don't plan on investing

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 am
WishIHadASword says...

I just came here to say that you have just dEsTrOyEd mY dRaGoN-sLaYiNg dReAmS

(oh yeah, and awesome poem!)

Horisun says...

You can still slay dragons, just make sure you have a solid back up plan XD

Hallelujah! I think my backup plan will be a dragon TRAINER...

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:06 am
LizzyTyler wrote a review...

I.....wow. That just made my day, and my day has been pretty great. :) That was a brilliant composition of a lighthearted and comical poem. It made me, and most likely many others, smile. There are few things in this world that can draw forth pure and simple amusement. This was truly a masterpiece. Please don’t mind my melodrama, it’s a side affect of being a writer😋

Horisun says...

Haha, this made MY day! I'm so happy you liked it so much! :D

mordax wrote a review...

Hello there! Mordax here for a review.

Um.... Wow!!! I loved this poem. No, seriously, this poem is absolutely amazing. When I started reading it, I already knew I was in for a treat, but I legit smiled as I continued and when I ended. You perfected this tone that is both sorrowful, honest, and comical. I honestly have no critique to provide in ways of flow, word choice, or imagery. You captured it all and while the poem got your point across and needs nothing else, I still found myself longing for more. That's how good this is.

This is such an original and unique concept for a poem!! I love this idea of a hero being idolized and loved and still "failing" when it comes to life. I love this idea that his world-saving work doesn't make a living, showing the importance of the little things, like each "simple" job of the civilians in the town.

Honestly, I am astounded by your talent. I want to bottle up this poem and keep it with me just to read whenever I wish. My favorite stanza is the final one, specifically the line "Gold causes indigestion". This line shows so much: not only the unrealistic applications of these heroics, but also the way wealth has been raised upon a pedestal, how we all strive after this "gold", but in the end, how important is it really?

That's all I have for you. I could go on for hours how much I loved this poem...

Wonderful job!!!!!!

mordax

Horisun says...

Thank you so, so much! I%u2019m really happy you liked it!

Haraya wrote a review...

I agree with wallflower. This is beautiful.

Hello! Haraya here with a quick review.

I applaud this poem for having that sense of wonder that I enjoy in poetry. You used a seemingly playful and fantastical image of a knight returning triumphantly from a quest to convey serious themes of materialism and personal aspiration. It's amazingly thought-provoking that rewards curious readers if they dig further in.

Each stanza is packed with detail. The idea that a successful knight carrying home treasures is expected to become king but ends up broke is ingenious. You made it all flow believably by tackling how each piece of treasure is actually worthless. I especially liked the one with the blacksmith. Really, gems can buy a sword, but it's the metal that makes it.

As for points of improvement, I think the last two stanzas can be further improved. It works but compared to the rest of the poem, I think those were the least impactful, which is crucial because it's the ending of the poem, so much of the poem's overall impact hinges on it.

Overall, brilliant work! You got my curiosity to check out your other works. Please accept my follow!

Horisun says...

I%u2019m so glad you like it! Thank you for the review, I will take what you said into consideration! :D

This was... a masterpiece.

Horisun says...

Aw! Thank you so much! :D

*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits