Home » Literary works » Poetry » Humor

Athena: God of Poetic Justice

by Horisun

Don’t get wise with
A Wisdom goddess
Don’t war against
Poetic Justice

She holds the hammer
As she holds her axe
Say it’s not fair?
Well, she didn’t ask

For she threads a rope
Tight around the tree
And she swings the sword
At her own decree

She’d squish the bug
Beneath her own boot
And sniff out the snake
To cut out her roots

Punish her sisters
For arguing back
She sends Perseus
Right on the attack

She is a Tyrant
With nothing to lose
A Self Obsessed God
We didn’t choose

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:17 am
JohnKlue wrote a review...

So greek mythology. Yet you are spelling god with a capital G for some reason.

But honestly this is a pretty good poem. It very much feels like a new somewhat contemporary take on this Greek goddess with lines such as "Don't get wise with A wisdom goddess" how cheeky.

I have done some personal research on greek myths such as Kronos, odysseus, Hercules,
Orpheus and Eurydice. But I confess Athena was never one that peaked my interest. But I can clearly see that you have taken care to incorporate aspects of this poem.
"She holds the hammer
As she holds her axe"
"For she threads a rope
Tight around the tree
And she swings the sword
At her own decree
She’d squish the bug
Beneath her own boot
And sniff out the snake
To cut out her roots
Punish her sisters
For arguing back
She sends Perseus
Right on the attack" This all feels like a nod to the source material but you have also given them your own twist. I Have not read 'PERCY JACKSON' but I imagine that those books are at least somewhat similar to what you got here.

And finally this

"She is a Tyrant
With nothing to lose
A Self Obsessed God
We didn’t choose" I don't know if this is a reference to anything Political. But Athens (City named after Athena) was the birthplace of democracy, Maybe this is a nod to that in some way?

Overall great job.

Horisun says...

Thanks for the review! You are definitely right about capitalizing the G! I will fix that as soon as possible!

FourLeafClover wrote a review...

Hey, there! I'm here to review your awesome poem!

So, first, let's start out with three good things I noticed.
1. I really enjoyed how you kept the stanzas with the same rhythm throughout the poem. It keeps the reader focused and not confused like "Wait, what? That threw me off a lot." It's really good to have it like that because the reader pays more attention to the content than the setup.
2. Speaking of the content, the way you described Athena with said content was really enjoyable. I have no idea how to go into detail and explain what I'm talking about, so I'll leave it at that. I'm sorry if what I said happened to be confusing.
3. I didn't notice any grammar issues!!! Of course, this is coming from a person who has said "It death" and "We will got this," so I could be wrong, but I still didn't notice anything. When there are grammar issues, it tends to steer the reader off track, so it's good that I didn't notice anything.

Now, one con.
The only con I noticed was some unnecessary capitalization. Of course, it could have been intended to be like that (like a title), so maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.