z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Like Glue

by Horisun


When you're stuck in the mud,

or feeling blue,

feel like a dud,

don't got a clue.

When you trudge through the dark,

or the rain.

Miss the mark,

and in great pain.

When you tell me you're not lost,

Lemme drive.

Lemme pay the cost.

Let yourself thrive.

See, you're my bud,

I got you.

We're not blood,

but we're stuck like glue.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 349
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:14 am
View Likes
thegoldenbird wrote a review...



Hello Horisun.
The above poem is short and precise and I found it to be good in emotion. However, I would like to say that you should definitely work on your language. I understand the feel of this poem and I can see that it has been written in modern language on purpose. Yet, to someone who cherishes poetry, the language of this one seemed a bit of a turn off. Text can be kept casual without the usage of modern slangs too.
I would like to suggest the following improvements:
1. Instead of "feel like a dud", you could make it "feeling like a dud" or "you feel like a dud." This line follows from the previous one grammatically, and the previous lines say "you're stuck" or "(you're) feeling blue". Hence this should follow the same rules of grammar.
2. Instead of "don't got a clue" you could change it to "haven't got a clue" or "don't have a clue", since the current language is unprofessional.
3. You could change "and in great pain" to "and are in great pain", as it is grammatically correct.
4. The fragment "Miss the mark/ and (are) in great pain" is not complete on its own as a sentence and it surely follows from the previous one. I suggest you change the punctuation to make it right. The line "or the rain" should not end with a full stop, rather with a comma, and "Miss the mark" should not be capitalized.
5. "Your not lost" should be changed to "you're not lost" for grammatical reasons.
6. "When you tell me you're not lost" is lacking in clarity. It took me a while to understand why he/she should let you drive when they said that they're okay. For clarity, you could add a line which tells that they are actually not that great but are covering up and saying that they're not lost.
7. The double use of "Lemme" in consecutive lines was slightly a put off. You could change the first one to "Let me", thereby also slightly lengthening that line and making it in tune with the previous and the next lines, which are both longer.
8. "Stuck like glue" is a kind of an oxymoron which you used. "Stuck" suggests that you aren't willing to be with the other person and are forcibly stuck with them. However, "like glue" suggests that you would stay beside that person. I suggest you change it to "but we stick like glue" to counter the discrepancy.

All the above are just suggestions, which you could take into account if you feel like. The feel of the poem, however, is quite good.
Keep writing.




Horisun says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 48

Donate
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 am
View Likes
starryknightt wrote a review...



Hello there! My name is M and I'm here to (again) tell you how awesome you are. Let's begin.

I'll start off by saying I am definitely not a fan of poetry unless it's Edgar Allan Poe. But this. This was good stuff! I enjoyed it, which is saying a lot for me. It was easy for me to read and understand, all the while working the masterful rhyming, word choice, similes, metaphors, etc. I really liked the rhythm of it all and the tone you set. It's sweet and reliable and the kind of friendship that most people crave.

Ahem. But there is, however, one teeny tiny insignificant detail that I feel like I should point out. It's silly, honestly. It is but a speck in the grand scheme of things and it can be fixed in a flash. In line 9, where you wrote "your". It should be "you're". Common mistake.

But dude. Great job!

-M




Horisun says...


Aw, thanks for the review! :D



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1356
Reviews: 83

Donate
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:43 pm
View Likes
MeherazulAzim16 wrote a review...



Hi Horisun!

It's a compact — simple but solid — poem where the speaker assures their friend that no matter what, they'll [/i]stick[/i] around and be supportive.

Some of the words work to great effect.

When you trudge through the dark


I had to google the word before I could really appreciate the imagery, but I got it. Walking through mud is used as the metaphor in the poem to explain the hardships of life. 'Trudge' illustrate how it is to walk through mud — "walk slowly and with heavy steps, typically because of exhaustion or harsh conditions" — and that's how life can be sometimes.

About the full-stops, I felt there were too many of them, but it may be a case of preference.

When you tell me your not lost


I think it was a typo.

I love the title. Of course, it indicates how the two friends will stick together no matter what but there's also the other imagery of being stuck like glue in the metaphorical mud of life. In both cases, you're stuck like glue, but the feelings are polar opposites.

And that's the review. Have a wonderful day.

Excelsior!

~MAS




Horisun says...


Thank you for the review!




As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality