Home » Literary works » Poetry » Humor

What Is Christmas All About?

by Horisun

Every year, when Christmas comes around,
I have to stop and think,
What is it all about?

Is it the family around the tree?
Is it the warm hearts aglow?
Is it the fire lit among the snow?

No?

Is it the gifts given?
Is it the candy in the stocking?
Is it hot chocolate in a jug?

Humbug. 

So what is it then?

Is it the love that you give?

Is it another year that you live?

Is it a god, in the sky?

Is it Santa, the big guy?

No!

It's the gingerbread cookies!

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:11 am
tgham99 wrote a review...

I love that you put a humorous spin on the holidays rather than choosing to go for a heavily introspective one; I loved the last line!

I'm always a fan of consistency and repetition within poems, so I love the use of question marks/rhetorical questions throughout.

The only nit-pick I have is the spacing in the last full stanza (assuming it was intentional); it's different than the other stanzas but this may have just been a formatting error so feel free to disregard this if that's the case.

Lovely poem for the holiday season!

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:23 pm
ReeN_beNa wrote a review...

The last line had me rolling in laughter. lol,Christmas is indeed about the gingerbread cookies.
This poem is nice. Every question asked in each stanza had me thinking and wondering what Christmas is all about again.
I never Knew i needed something like this on the eve of Christmas.
Good job done.
Oh and one last thing the word at the end of line two in the second stanza is aglow instead of a-glow

Horisun says...

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:40 pm
LZPianoGirl wrote a review...

This poem was great! It was really fun to read, and the ending made me laugh. It was unexpected, yet kept with the theme of the poem. I loved it! There wasn't manny mistakes, I only caught one. In the line: "Is it the warm hearts a-glow?". The correct spelling of a-glow does not have a dash, "aglow". Otherwise, your grammar, spelling, and punctuation was great! Keep on writing, I really enjoy reading your poems! Merry (day early) Christmas!

Horisun says...

Thank you! Merry Christmas Eve!

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:27 am

Congrats on getting on the Literary Spotlight!

Horisun says...

Thanks! (:

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:33 pm
SuperOriginalName wrote a review...

A very light and hilarious poem, @Horisun. Honestly, amazing. I loved it. There are, however, some things that I caught while reading that I would like to point out.
Let's get started!
※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

How about we do this stanza-by-stanza, shall we?

Stanza #1
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
"Every year, when Christmas comes around,
I have to stop and think,
What is it all about?"

In the first stanza, the rhymes and rhythm are pretty much perfect. One thing is wrong with the grammar, though.
This was just brought to my attention a day or two ago, telling me this on my own literary work. They told me that, even if you got the return button, that does not mean that you automatically put a capital letter in the beginning of a line, unless you are beginning a new sentence.
In this stanza, every time you start a new line, but not a new sentence, you still use a capital letter. This, from what the user told me, is incorrect.
Another thing that I noticed is that the last line of the first stanza should be in quotations, as it it the saying of a thought.
Alright.. That's enough for this stanza..

Stanza #2
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
"Is it the family around the tree?
Is it the warm hearts a-glow?
Is it the fire lit among the snow?

No?"

First of all, I love the metaphor of the hearts aglow during Christmas time. I think it really shows how forgiving and what a pleasure people are during the holiday season.
I did notice, again, one grammar mistake. In the second line, the word "a-glow" is spelled without a dash (correct spelling: aglow).
That's really it for the second stanza..

Stanza #3
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
"Is it the gifts given?
Is it the candy in the stocking?
Is it hot chocolate in a jug?

Humbug."

I didn't find that many mistakes in this one, which is good.
I did care for one mistake with the rhyme, however. In the second stanza, there are less syllables per line, and more rhymes than the third one. The second line of the second stanza rhymes with the two lines after it, yet this one does not.
You could replace the candy canes in the stockings with something of how a piece of clothing or a person gives a warm sense of hugs (just a suggestion), so that it could rhyme with "jug" and "Humbug".
It's just something to think about.

Stanza #4
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
"So what is it then?

Is it the love that you give?

Is it another year that you live?

Is it a god, in the sky?

Is it Santa, the big guy?

No!

It's the gingerbread cookies!"

Ah, yes. The punchline.
This is the best stanza of them all. I didn't find anything wrong with it. I'm not even exaggerating. Keep it up!

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※
Overall, this is amazing poem, and catches you unexpectedly laughing about the "true meaning of Christmas"; gingerbread cookies. I absolutely cannot wait until your next literary piece, and I hope I inspired you to continue improving your obvious talent in literature.

Happy holidays!

~@SuperOriginalName

Horisun says...

So, something interesting about poems that I learned some time ago was that poems don't follow the usual grammar rules, I read a really good article about that,
Squills 2/24/19 - 3/3/19
It's the one titled 'Suspious Reader' by Alliyah if you're interested, I think it made some really good points.
Again, thanks for the review, and Happy Holidays! :D

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the account was correct, but here we are. XD

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl