z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Penguin Attacks

by Audy


for peng the gentle typesmith

we were to take our coloring pages
spread them out like wingspans
with scrawled adventures like a treasure map
to an orange day's conversations

orange like the range of nightsong
just mellow elegies we drunken old birds sing
spellbound by childhood's ambience
and together gather reassurances
for the other's meat print poetry

but you've begun to peel the pretty
out of these pictures now

you see the ugly in an onion layer
where the feathers have molted away to grim

remember your pen friend is just a punslinger
but you will always be the penguin slayer.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:06 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hi Audster!

I think it's only fair that I do come along and review this, since you were an angel and wrote it for me! I think the images are gorgeous and I love what you're saying. It's beyond what I expected from our chat suggestions and I think you officially blew mine out of the water.

I'm not sure about the end couplet, which I think you knew I might not be sure about! It connects to the poem, of course, but I think that the suggestions (comedic of course) shake out the sense that the poem actually had. Without that couplet and the title, you'd have a lyric poem for definite. More particularly because the poem says something lovely, but totally untrue, since there are no ugly onion layers, and my pen friend is an amazing writer, always.

I don't mind the lack of capitalisation at all, I think its part of that suggestion of childhood and spreading wings - you never have to worry about colouring inside the lines if you don't have an outline. that works here, there's a sense of freedom and endlessness to this poem which carries really well in your style - I feel like your style here is slightly different to what it is usually, is that the subject matter or just this sense of cohesion I get from this? your poetry is always good but I feel like this has some kind of concrete feel to it (disregarding those final lines, which I find disconnected) which is not always present in your other poetry.

I hope the idea that this poem which was an experiment and is in humour is a super good poem and I love it doesn't offend you. Why would it offend you though? I don't know! I just love it, consider writing more prompted poetry, I think it gives you a sense of purpose and intent which shows through the writing.

Thank you again
♥♥




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 2090
Reviews: 863

Donate
Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:26 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...



Your caps lock key is broken!




Audy says...


You should see me when Sachi's around ;D



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 2289
Reviews: 29

Donate
Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 pm
View Likes
tiggpanda145 wrote a review...



That's a good poem! The descriptions are very good and give you a sense of place. The idea is very good and you have used lots of ambitous vocabulary too. Maybe you should use some commas and capital letters as although the sentences are good you need punctuation etc. to make them grammatically correct. So yeah well done-sorry this isn't very long as I am not very experienced on this site yet and will improve!

tiggpanda145 :)




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 160

Donate
Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 pm
View Likes
Rurouni wrote a review...



I am sensing this is from Gee's workshop.... Rum and oranges...

So, I like this, maybe some commas?

I like 'drunken old birds sing' as that might have to do with all those drunk pirates.... Joking.

I really like this, and I hoooope to see more like this..

Anyways, thanks, and we should do more of Gee's workshops....

Thanks,

Another member of Gee's workshop.....

pegasusgirl2




User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 1117
Reviews: 74

Donate
Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 am
View Likes
HaleyPenguin wrote a review...



This is well done :) I also really like the title. (Obviously from my name.) I like the way this is put together. Personally, it gives me a childhood feel, like with the treasure map. It was very unique and interesting to read.

I just didn't like all the randomness. True, it's different, but it was a little too much for me.

Otherwise, you did very well, and I really do hope you continue writing. :) I can't wait to see more from you.




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 648
Reviews: 41

Donate
Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:12 am
View Likes
illitar wrote a review...



"where the feathers have molted away to grim","but you will always be the penguin slayer."

It went from childhood to advertising propaganda to killing penguins. hmmm. random and yet it worked.
I liked the general idea and you pulled it off quite well. there are some things that most people wont talk about and i dont see the humor in this besides the last line. its more general publics view from child to the generation that we have grown up in and the loss of child hood wonder. treasure maps and such.

but this is my mind and how i see this poem.
well done. it made me think and that is what is needed in a piece.
keep it up.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2046
Reviews: 131

Donate
Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 am
View Likes
beccalicious94 wrote a review...



Audy! It's so glad to be back and active and reading your work. As always, this was fabulous! Your colorful diction was refreshing as well as your description of details. I was a bit confused about the penguin slayer at the end (I'm assuming its for a friend.) Great job and write on!





I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe