z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

cogitare

by Casanova


just one light in the darkness
can keep you from losing your way

but one shadow in the light 
can make you stumble off your lighted path
into nothing but 
undivided darkness


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:06 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...



Hello!

Man, people get so intimidated by short poems. Sorry you had to wait so long on a review!


1. Okay so I know that this is a short poem, and that you probably want to keep it that way, but I think that the message is so classic and well-understood that you could probably do something to add more wordplay or poetic device. Because really, part of the joy of poetry is how it sounds. This is a message that deserves a little more depth in the visuals and other sensory details it could inspire.

2. While the structure here is quite clear (one thing, then its opposite), I think the fact that this poem is so short gives you the opportunity to try something a little more daring. There is strength in the simplicity and clarity of this piece, but it might not hurt to put out some iterations that are a little muddier, for the sake of pushing the genre.

3. It's interesting that you chose to have this poem turn dark, rather than be dark and turn light. It's a bit depressing, isn't it?

That's about it. I hope this helped a little!

Great work, and happy review day!
-Vento




User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 113

Donate
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:27 pm
Bellarke wrote a review...



Hi! B again! I am gonna make a reveiw of your short poem...


First off, I want to say that this is a very short poem, and It may be hard to review...


I want to state that there should be some capitalization.... It confused me a bit because it was a little bit unorganized...

I liked you it was a free versed poem, but there was some repetition of the same word..

"just one light in the darkness...undivided darkness"
I would have chosen another word for this, so that it makes a little more since, and it does not lose the reader.

"but one shadow in the light
can make you stumble off your lighted path"
I would have replaced "Light" with "Brighter" or something so that it makes more since....


Punctuation:
You could have added some commas and periods to make your poem plow easier....

OVERALL: I loved this poem, I gave a good use of words, and easier to see that it looks like, it gives off the feelings.

Good work, keep writing,
~B.





Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights