An English Rose

by illy7896

An English rose in the haven of hell.

A bosom; a bed, away from the beast's stomach.

Yet deep inside it, rooted enough to not poke the bear:

a pretty thorn caught in its gullet.

A nimble flower plucked from the Garden of Eden,

pressed upon a field of orchards where I'm

genderless; blameless; ageless and priceless.

loved and carried and wrenched and pulled-

too young to have the freedom of calling this world a crisis.

And if the living, breathing and loving were made bloodless

and if the gods adorned their followers with earthly sin,

and the vigilantes and rebels march to draw blood from those that are heartless.

Oh if I were to be an English rose 

caught in the Devil's personal indulgence.

Trimmed until my body is nothing but poison from my sharp-

dagger pricks of ivory.

To be an English rose, naked to a planet of monsters.

Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:51 am
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi illy! Lim here with a review.

First Impressions

This poem made me think of rose thorns in a different way! Your writing brought to mind the idea of ‘a thorn as a naked rose’, which is certainly an interesting one I hadn’t thought of before. Besides that, the fact that it’s an “English” rose made me wonder if it has much to do with Victorian flower symbolism, or that whole culture of the aristocratic English garden.
The poem has this sense of ‘bigness’ to it, as if it’s definitely about more than just the rose on a surface level, the rose seems to have an allegorical meaning. Maybe it’s a stand in for a person’s humanity, as I figured it was when I first read it.

Subject, Themes, Interpretation

I interpret the theme of the poem as being about the loss of innocence. The image of the “Garden of Eden” definitely gives strong vibes for this, as it could allude to that story in Genesis about how Adam and Eve ‘fell’ from the Garden of Eden. Likewise, the rose seems to have fallen into a different world and become corrupted with things like age and sin. Another thing that could relate to loss of innocence is the mention of “vigilantes” and “rebels”, which are kind of opposite to the very gentrified established image of a nobleman’s garden, for instance. They invoke ideas of conflict as opposed to the idyllic-ness of Eden.

Language and Imagery

The language of the poem makes me feel like it’s ‘set’ not in modern times, but maybe it’s in the style of poems from England in the seventeenth century, or something. Some parts of it still sound like present-day poetry, for example the use of “vigilantes and rebels” and “personal indulgence”, but the poem does remind me of older poetry from that era. That contributes to my interpretation of the theme I think, that it is about loss of innocence, because I think I associate the ideas of ‘innocence’ and ‘corruption’ with that era of English poetry (whereas I don’t think these topics are super huge on the poetic scene nowadays).

One of my favourite images from this poem is “a pretty thorn caught in its gullet”. I just love how visceral the word “gullet” is and also the irony of calling a thorn “pretty”. I think this image is super effective in creating the sense of the rose’s vulnerability, which is then hammered it more in the last line when the speaker declares that they, like a rose, are “naked to a planet of monsters”.

Structure

“bloodless” and “heartless” kind of have an odd repetitive effect here. Like the rest of the poem is unrhymed, but these two words kind of makes it seem as though we’ve suddenly got a rhyming scheme going on? This could just be me, but I tend to find that introducing individual rhymes to a poem that doesn’t already have an end-rhyme pattern kind of works better when it’s in the middle of a line rather than at the end, for example:
And if the bloodless were living, breathing and loving,
and the heartless were stormed upon by vigilantes and rebels

[/quote]
My logic is that the ends of lines already stand out more to the reader. So by avoiding putting noticeable features like rhyming at the end (unless you want the rhyming to be like a major feature that is consistent throughout the poem) you can make it subtle enough not to break the general ‘unrhymed’ feel of the poem. And rhymes in the middle of the line still contribute to the sound and emphasis you want to give those two words. Hope that makes sense ^^ it’s just an idea.

Something I liked about the structure was the parts of the poem that parallel and contrast one another, for example:

The four ‘-less’ adjectives in the first line convey this sense of emptiness – they’re very static, but also peaceful, in a way, describing the speaker’s state when they were in their ‘Garden of Eden’. Then the use of another list of four helps to make the contrast clear: now it’s all big, strong action words, the speaker is being violently removed from the garden. I thought that helped create emotional impact there.

This was a memorable poem, illy! I like how you gave a unique perspective on certain common images in poetry like the rose and heaven vs hell.
Hope some of this helps, and keep writing!
-Lim

I think that this poem is about people only seeing your physical beauty and taking advantage of that,using everything that is beautiful for their own gain until there is nothing but hollow rage and vengeance.It could also be about not being able to fight back and to be made fun of when having an opinion.The English rose is plucked by monsters,heartless demons.That’s why I made the assumptions I did on the poem.I hope you have a fabulous and wondrous day and night.

illy7896 says...

I love your interpretations and that's exactly what I was going for so thank you so much for taking interest in my poem! You also have a wonderful day and night!

BeingRivy wrote a review...

The rest of the review. The poem sounds good and euphonious. You can work more on that. Work on you themes more. You can also find common themes from daily life and from logic, deconstruction, and yeah those themes. I wish I can be perfect but know my rant and put in my two cents: perfection doesn’t exist, and to be loved is good, but no one can shut up about your Life, I wish I can be perfect. Every successful person is perfect. But not my life. I can do whatever I want and I’m not good enough. I know somethings but not everything. Amino apps for example is an imperfect but a blessing and a weird annoyance in a way. I want to be perfect but here’s what I know. I’m the monster.
Hope you enjoy the the reality of my two reviews, the poem you made is perfect and gifted.
From, @BeingRivy

illy7896 says...

Thanks a lot for the encouragement and support, it's really helpful. And your really kind about my poem and that makes me feel so good so thanks so much! But not all successful people are perfect, and everybody is ignorant on some matters but everybody has the ability to do great things, despite the imperfections but that's what makes us beautiful and I mean that. And both you and me and everybody can achieve.

Thanks a lot!

illy7896 says...

Thanks a lot!

BeingRivy says...

I like this poem, I wish I could write poems like that. You must be gifted and perfect. The meter part is good I think, because it has a good rhythm. It might not rhyme, but do what you want to as long as it sounds good and euphonious. I wish I could make perfect poems and be famous like you. From, Ivy

illy7896 says...

Thank you so much!

BeingRivy says...

You are welcome, but how can my writing become euphonious when it%u2019s just not easy and even worse I can%u2019t tell what a stressed and accented syllable even is. I%u2019m so horrible at meter and euphonious words like the ugly duckling ! How can I do that better?

illy7896 says...

Practise, really, I'm not too sure myself. But also look and read the poetry you want to write and examples of it because I did that a lot before and it seriously helped. And when it comes to stressed and accented syllables, I don't understand what they mean either. But I've found that sharing my work has helped because it receives a lot of constructive criticism. Even if you think it's bad, post your work here and you will receive a lot of feedback and reviews, it's so helpful I'm a lot better poet than I was when I started.

BeingRivy says...

Good idea. Thanks you. I%u2019ll give it a try. :)

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes