Brave

by illy7896

I wish that I had spoken up

Each time insensitive words

Had knocked me from my feet

Raised my voice

And shoot a deathly glare

Like they did to me

*

I wish that I had finished each fight

Where I never punched back

With an accent of wisdom 

Rather than grit my teeth

*

I wish that I didn't let people

Play me like a violin

And take advantage of my patience

Peg me up to dry

After they washed me down with their own sins

*

I wish that I didn't buckle

Under the pressure of expectations

'Words not violence'

Some people don't understand

Basic words like please

*

I wish that I did not think

And my mind empty

And my heart full of rage

Because then I wouldn't worry

Of what they thought of me

*

I wish that I knew how strong I was

That's what people tell me

I'm a survivor

And a fighter

Who never hits back

Too tough to die

But sometimes I feel so weak

*

I wish that I didn't wish for things

That only I can deliver

I won't ask

My fairy godmother

*

I don't wish anymore

But I do and I try

And to those people

Who didn't call me by my name

And address me like a human- being

Instead a liar and a fiend

So they could profit their self-esteem

I'm not that violin anymore

To be plucked and played

I am the warrior

Who knows not of defeat

Trained to have courage and power

Emerging from the shadow of the meek

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am
sunlightwarriorxo wrote a review...

Wow, this is beautiful!
A lot of people will be able to relate to this poem - I feel as though you have crafted a poem which explores a thought cycle of a person who's reflecting upon the mistakes and worser parts of their life, wishing that they'd done something to resolve the situation there and then. Your imagery is fantastic, you feel as though you're there listening to the speaker and expericing each one of their memories - well done for that. Reading it made me feel reflective over own incidents upon my life making me realise that we are all so much stronger than we realise. Honestly, this a fantastic poem, I have no other suggestions for improvement - you should share it around as much as you possibly can because a lot of people will be able to relate and appreciate this for the fantastic piece of literature you have crafted. Well done and keep writing :)

illy7896 says...

That's so kind, I'm really glad that you can relate to this.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:48 pm
dorima wrote a review...

10/10 mind blowing, the honesty in this left me shook. The contrast when you said "I wish that I didn't let people play me like a violin" then towards the end "I'm not that violin anymore" was beautiful. I liked the emphasis and frankness that laced the comparison. I could feel the change in persona, through your words. Feel your new found strength and growth. Your use of imagery and metaphor is bloody brilliant. You're a phenomenal poet, and I hope you never stop writing

illy7896 says...

Thank you very much, that's so kind of you

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 pm
nightshadows wrote a review...

I give it a 10000000000 %
You are such a great writer and this poem definitely made you think. I love the way that you directed the mood of the poem and used multiple poetry devices.

And take advantage of my patience

Peg me up to dry

When I read this part it dug deep into my soul because you used great imagery here and it wa like you could see them hanging a fabric on a clothes hang. this was by far one of the best poems I have ever read!

illy7896 says...

Thank you so much

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:26 pm
Emivanz1 wrote a review...

Wow this is an amazing poem. I love the way you worded it, i personally love the part about "playing me like a violin." This is showing that your subject is not in control of others taking advantage of them. I also love the ending where they are coming out of the shadows and standing up for themselves. A really hard thing for writers to do is show pain and sorrow in the perfect way, and you accomplished that perfectly. Once again this poem is awesome and definitely keep writing!

illy7896 says...

Thank you so much

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:09 pm
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Hey there, @stygianmoon17 here for a review :)

First things first, wow. This poem is absolutely awesome !!
just the energy behind it, the motivation, I totally see someone reading this to encourage soldiers before going into battle to be honest xD

I also love how you specifically used the violin as choice as instrument, since it is an instrument used to grieve and usually seen as a dark, depressing, mysterious and just basically the instrument played by broken people. Which kinda offended me as I am a violin player and I'm sick of that stereotype. The violin can be used to bring joy and energy too you know, it's a versatile instrument. The way it mirrored back at the last stanza makes it all the more better, as you stop being the instrument that's "played" by other people.

I really don't have anything to say about this poem, well except for the violin bit, but that's more personal than technical. If I was an English teacher I'd probably marvel at how you picked this malevolent instrument-
-but except for that, I loved the poem! It's fabulously motivating and I just love it <3

illy7896 says...

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you. I love the violin too, and well done for being a violinist- that's awesome. I do totally agree that the violin can be used as a happy and upbeat instrument, but like you said, it is often seen as dark and sad- but in a beautiful way at least, so like you said, that's why I chose it for my poem. I'm so glad that you liked it :)

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky