z

Young Writers Society


16+

Grim Demons Chapter One: Sloth

by zaminami, DeerInBacPac


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

E.E. grabbed a book out of her bag. Frayed, torn, and with an orange horse and jokey on it, Demon Goddess recognized it as Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Grim was a bit confused as to what it was, thinking that it was a notebook. After Demon Goddess gently reminds him that it's an actual book, E.E. sat down and began to read.

Grim watched as E.E. read the book. He sighed. "Not right now, E.E. Now is not the time to panic."

"I'm not panicking!" E.E. protests, looking up from the pages. "I'm just trying to clear my head, which isn't working because you're distracting me!"

"By reading?!"

"Of course, Grim."

"You're hopeless."

"Reading clears your head. You'd be surprised, Grim," Demon Goddess laughs.

Grim rolled his eyes -- well, the fire that would be in place of the eyeballs. Demon Goddess is a very aggravating person, he noted. Well, a very aggravating demon goddess, at least. Humans begging for their lives are easier than this.

After a few minutes of Demon Goddess and Grim waiting around awkwardly for E.E. to finish reading, she closed the book. E.E. took a deep breath of the old book. Old books always smell the best.

"What?" E.E. asked Grim, noting the confused look on his face. "Old books hold history, true meaning."

Grim shook his head in distaste. How E.E. could be so strange and weird was beyond him, and he had existed since the beginning of time.

"Let's go, lovebirds," Demon Goddess jokes. "You got weapons? 'Cause you'll need them."

E.E. and Grim both grinned -- well, at least as much as Grim could grin with his skeletal face, anyway. They both held up different books -- E.E. with her Catcher in the Rye and Grim with The Great Gatsby.

"These double as spell books. We can change the book whenever we want but I normally go with my comfort book," E.E. explained while Grim skimmed through his.

"You have a spell that lets you... morph into an... ostrich? This might help," Grim noted.

Demon Goddess was confused. "A... spell," she said skeptically, voicing her thoughts. "That lets you morph into an ostrich. Somehow I doubt that would help us in our predicament."

"It's not just an ostrich..." Grim started.

"It's a flaming ostrich!" E.E. laughed, grinning. "That would definitely help."

"That also sounds dangerous," Demon Goddess said, worried about her safety.

"Nah," E.E. disagreed. "It's great! You're a running ball of angry fire!" She also didn't mention, though she did note, that Demon Goddess is immortal and would regenerate in hell if 'killed,' and was the thing that literally created danger.

"I'm pretty sure that fire burns you."

"It's a fire ostrich. We don't question them," Grim joked. "Now, can we start these tests or no? What are they anyway?"

Demon Goddess sighed. This was going to be a long explanation.

"Okay. After hell was created, I started to enlist Grim's help to reap human souls." Grim nods in agreement. "Of course, this was before the Purgatory. However, the souls would either constantly get out or humans would come in to get their loved ones back. Therefore, I created the 10 Gates of Hell. In each gate, there are 10 obstacles. They are all very dangerous, and they're guaranteed to keep out -- and in -- everyone who doesn't belong in the other world. To get in or out, you must pass through them all... to say the least it's a very difficult task."

"Seems legit," E.E. said, copying what all of the kids at school say.

"It is," Demon Goddess said. She was confused as to what "legit" meant, but since it sounded like "legitimate," she assumed that it was like that.

"Well, yeah," E.E. said, reviewing a spell about bending light to turn 'invisible.' She marked it as important, and closed the book.

"DESTRUCTION! TRUMP!" Demon Goddess shouts. The demons scurry over. "You two are in charge while I'm gone. if I find the kingdom decimated or messed up in any way... I'll send you to The Chamber for a century.

The demons nod fearfully.

E.E. grinned widely. Grim just elongated his teeth to create an illusion of a smile.



"WOOO ADVENTURE!" Grim and E.E. yelled suddenly.

"I wouldn't say that..." Demon Goddess mumbled under her breath, nursing her injured ears.

"We were being sarcastic. Sorta. Yeah, no," Grim said. "Now, let's get this show on the road!"

"Yes, let's," Demon Goddess agreed.

They exited the castle, making their way towards the first gate.

---



They reached the first gate.

There was nothing there.

"Why is there nothing here? Like, no big, bulky gate?" E.E. exclaimed. She was rather disappointed.

"Because the gate is invisible," Demon Goddess said with a straight face. She didn't have the heart to tell E.E. that the gate was just so huge that nobody could see it unless the flew or ran a very long way.

"Ohhhhhh," E.E. said in realization, falling for the goddess's act.

Demon Goddess stifles a laugh. Her old friend could really be gullible sometimes. And, judging from the look on Grim's face, he was too.

"So, whats with this invisible door?" Grim asked Demon Goddess.

"Gate," Demon Goddess corrects. "And we need to pass through it. But first, we need to face the giants."
"GIANTS?!" Grim exclaimed. E.E. was worried. Giants? She was already really short. Now vicious giants?!
Demon Goddess giggled. “I’m just kidding! The thing we have to face is even worse.”

E.E.'s face became ashen. "GIANT GIANTS?!" 

Grim sighed. "No, E.E.. Not now.."

“Nah, a giant giant giant. Actually, it’s one of the Seven Deadly Sins," Demon Goddess said, having enough of her sarcasm. No, wait, that was a lie, but she didn't want to trick her poor friend even more until later.

Fluma looked up from her spell book. "So, which sin?" she asked.

"Sloth, obviously," Demon Goddess answered. She could see the monster through the gate.

Grim and E.E. thought how to defeat this. This sin... it was hard to find a weak point for. But every single sin has some type of weakness, they knew. Gluttony, which is starvation or food. Lust, whose weakness was being solitary. But Sloth?

“What do you think the monster is?” Demon Goddess grins. She wanted to test if the two could see through the gate. She was guessing not.
E.E. snapped her fingers. Her spell book changed into an acnietc leather book.



"Grim, help me," she demanded. 



"Either a demon or maybe some odd hybrid of two species of something," Grim tried. "This book does not specify. Where did you even get this? We have to see books to change our original ones." 

"I have my ways," was all E.E. said. 

"Nope," Demon Goddess said, grinning. "It's a humungous sloth." 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:02 pm
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, DemonGoddess (and Flumadiddle)! Pan dropping in for a quick review to help you shimmy this out of the Green Room. I'm just going to work through it chronologically and give you my thoughts as I read. Small grammar corrections will be shown in blue, but seeing as inktopus already covered the most pressing issues in that department, they won't be my main focus. Let's get to it.

E.E. grabbed a book out of her bag. Frayed, torn, and with an orange horse and jokey on it, Demon Goddess recognized it as Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Grim was a bit confused as to what it was, thinking that it was a notebook. After Demon Goddess gently reminded him that it was an actual book, E.E. sat down and began to read.

Grim watched as E.E. read the book. He sighed. "Not right now, E.E. Now is not the time to panic."


This immediately perplexed me, because you give no indication anywhere in the first paragraph that E.E. is panicked or even remotely anxious. This means I have to reframe the whole scene in my head after I've already pieced together an interpretation of it, which disrupts the flow. Her panic should be clear from her actions right from the start.

"I'm just trying to clear my head, which isn't working because you're distracting me!"

"By reading?!"


Because of how you've structured the dialogue, this suggests that Grim is the one reading and that this, somehow, is the reason E.E is distracted. Which is presumably not the interpretation you're going for, seeing as Grim isn't the one with the book here. You need to rejig the dialogue so that it's clear the 'by reading?' bit refers to her trying to clear her head, not to her being distracted.

"Reading clears your head. You'd be surprised, Grim," Demon Goddess laughs.

Grim rolled his eyes -- well, the fire that would be in place of the eyeballs. Demon Goddess is a very aggravating person, he noted. Well, a very aggravating demon goddess, at least. Humans begging for their lives are easier than this.


What about her dialogue suggests that she's aggravating? It sounded pretty neutral to me. Even pleasant.

"What?" E.E. asked Grim, noting the confused look on his face. "Old books hold history, true meaning."

Grim shook his head in distaste. How E.E. could be so strange and weird was beyond him, and he had existed since the beginning of time.


Likewise, noting that old books hold history is hardly a weird observation. It feels like you're making claims about the characters that aren't actually backed up by how they behave.

"These double as spell books. We can change the book whenever we want but I normally go with my comfort book," E.E. explained while Grim skimmed through his.

"You have a spell that lets you... morph into an... ostrich? This might help," Grim noted.


I'm quite intrigued by the idea of novels doubling as spell books - does the book affect what spells they can cast with them?

I have literally no idea where the ostrich topic came from, though. What even prompted that? Grim mentions it like it's been brought up before, but E.E. didn't say a thing about it.

"That also sounds dangerous," Demon Goddess said, worried about her safety.


Just don't need this. It's unnecessary telling.

"It's a fire ostrich. We don't question them," Grim joked. "Now, can we start these tests or no? What are they anyway?"

Demon Goddess sighed. This was going to be a long explanation.

"Okay. After hell was created, I started to enlist Grim's help to reap human souls." Grim nods in agreement. "Of course, this was before the Purgatory. However, the souls would either constantly get out or humans would come in to get their loved ones back. Therefore, I created the 10 Gates of Hell. In each gate, there are 10 obstacles. They are all very dangerous, and they're guaranteed to keep out -- and in -- everyone who doesn't belong in the other world. To get in or out, you must pass through them all... to say the least it's a very difficult task."


For one, it's instantly weird when she says 'I started to enlist Grim's help' when she's supposed to be addressing him. She's talking about him like he's not there, which makes it strange to read.

I also feel like this paragraph has a 'hey guys, here's your exposition!' sort of feel to it. It seems likely to me that they'd have already discussed this, so the explanation is only really there for the reader's benefit. I can feel you addressing me. It puts me off.

I'm interested in this concept of the ten gates, though. It's cool that they were created to keep souls from escaping, or to stop people getting in and rescuing others.

"DESTRUCTION! TRUMP!" Demon Goddess shouts. The demons scurry over.


I see what you did there ;)

"WOOO ADVENTURE!" Grim and E.E. yelled suddenly.


I agree with inktopus that this is random and feels unrealistic. You don't always set dialogue up that fluently. Conversations in literature need to be like an uninterrupted seam of stitching, each bit of dialogue linking into the next. Sometimes it feels like you skip a stitch.

They exited the castle, making their way towards the first gate.


This bit made me realise that for that whole first scene I had no idea what their surroundings looked like. I had no idea they were in a castle, no sense of what room they were in, what time of day it was, what they could hear, smell, whatever. You need more description on that front.

"Because the gate is invisible," Demon Goddess said with a straight face. She didn't have the heart to tell E.E. that the gate was just so huge that nobody could see it unless the flew or ran a very long way.

"Ohhhhhh," E.E. said in realization, falling for the goddess's act.

Demon Goddess stifles a laugh. Her old friend could really be gullible sometimes.


It's not really that gullible though? There's not really any reason to think she's lying. In the world of hell-dimensions and goddesses, invisible gates are hardly an impossibility.

Also, you need more description here as well. Are they just standing in a blank expanse of white? Because that's all I can picture right now. If the gate isn't invisible and is actually just massive, I presume you must be able to see part of it. Does it just look like an uninterrupted wall stretching all the way to the sky, beyond the bounds of human sight? These are the kind of details you need to include.

E.E. was worried. Giants? She was already really short. Now vicious giants?!
Demon Goddess giggled. “I’m just kidding! The thing we have to face is even worse.”
E.E.'s face became ashen. "GIANT GIANTS?!"


Haha, you did actually get a giggle out of me at this bit. Not easily done!

"Either a demon or maybe some odd hybrid of two species of something," Grim tried. "This book does not specify. Where did you even get this? We have to see books to change our original ones."

"I have my ways," was all E.E. said.


"Nope," Demon Goddess said, grinning. "It's a humungous sloth."


The bit in bold diverts the conversation away from the sloth, which means that Demon Goddess's response comes after the topic has already been changed. It's jarring to read; it feels like she missed a beat. See my point about your bits of dialogue not always leading into each other that well.

Okie-dokie, that brings the review pretty much to a close. Obviously this is a not-so-serious, comedic piece, but comedic pieces still have to be written well if they're going to entertain other readers. I think the idea is pretty promising and there are some good flashes of humour in here, but the piece lacks setting description and the dialogue is quite sticky in places. You never really clarified the significance of the books, either.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 am
View Likes
inktopus wrote a review...



Hi, DemonGoddess! Storm here to leave a review as requested, so let's begin.

E.E. grabbed a book out of her bag. Frayed, torn, and with an orange horse and jokey on it, Demon Goddess recognized it as Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

What is a jokey? I think you mean 'jocky'

After Demon Goddess gently reminds him that it's an actual book, E.E. sat down and began to read.

Tense change alert. Pick present or past. When choosing a tense, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

"What?" E.E. asked Grim, noting the confused look on his face. "Old books hold history, true meaning."

What does this have to do with E.E. liking the smell of old books? These two things seem completely unrelated.

"You have a spell that lets you... morph into an... ostrich? This might help," Grim noted.
Demon Goddess was confused. "A... spell," she said skeptically, voicing her thoughts. "That lets you morph into an ostrich. Somehow I doubt that would help us in our predicament."
"It's not just an ostrich..." Grim started.

I'm not a fan of ellipses, anyone who's been reviewed by me often enough knows this, so take this with a grain of salt. I think there are better, more professional ways of trailing off in dialogue. It's okay to use ellipses sometimes, but, in my opinion, it looks ridiculous to see a bunch of ellipses close together.

"WOOO ADVENTURE!" Grim and E.E. yelled suddenly.

That made no sense. I get that you included 'suddenly' but there's nothing that would make this be appropriate. No one talks like this.

You have two major issues. Number one is your tense changes. In the beginning, you switched between past and present quite a few times. I mentioned it the first time, but it's up to you to catch the rest of them. The second issue is pacing. I'm usually a fan of fast pacing, but this was just too fast. I feel like if this is supposed to be a normal novel, the beginning should have been its own chapter, and it should have been expanded a little more. Clearly, this isn't a super serious novel, but it's a lot easier to review something while taking it seriously.

Overall, it seemed like you had fun writing this, and that's all that matters really.

~Storm




zaminami says...


Yeah, this was a fun thing. This was actually based off of a roleplay that me and @Flumadiddle were doing (like, literal copy and paste) so that%u2019ll explain a lot of the things that you said :D



User avatar
364 Reviews


Points: 15630
Reviews: 364

Donate
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:36 pm
View Likes
zaminami says...



@Flumadiddle @WhosabellCanWrite @MJTucker







LittleLee says...


I love this!




It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl