z

Young Writers Society



overflowing

by Button


The fog tells me about last night. It was cold and wet.
The creek filled up. The fog murmurs, parts before me, presses itself
on the insides of me as I breathe it in,
and carries me to the water, for baptism. It whispers,

mimics the frogs’ belly-like mouths: creaking and croaking, expanding,
depressing. They swallow the sound back into themselves and it barely fits.
They are tiny and delicate, loud.

The water is coarse. It pushes against itself, making sounds
like something moving through tall grass.
It is cold on my hands, melts under my toes.
I step from rock to rock, and they are sharp and solid,
scratch at the outsides of me,
amiably tip and echo my presence further down,

where the deer drink,
where I look for mountain lions,
where their disembodied luminescent eyes watch,
carefully and deliberately, wondering at the smell of me.

I step into the water, and my legs freeze and tremble and I go numb —
as cold as the water enveloping me, The trees hang,
green and blooming
without flowers, melt into the fog through the tips of their curved leaves,
stand still, like wary animals, still and tall and straight,
before they bend their long graceful necks to greet me, to graze at me,
to drink from me and the creek,
because we are the same. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 307
Reviews: 113

Donate
Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 pm
Sherri wrote a review...



Hey Pocket!
I was in a poetry kind of mood, and this one seems pretty popular. I can see why! You used some very nice imagery here, and even though I have a few personal peeves on certain choices like hanging commas and spacing, I know that all depends on the poet, and you wrote it that way for a reason, so I'll let those be.
With that said, Fortis, CapitalMonday, and Monster covered any nitpicks I might have had... I think the poem is pretty well-balanced line and syllable-wise, so there's nothing for me to say there either.
Basically, you did a really good job! I especially like the last stanza, and how you end the poem. I can never end poems so... gracefully? I don't know, I just finished reading satisfied with the result, and yet still thinking about the meaning, and it was a really good feeling. The lines: "I step into the water, and my legs freeze and tremble and I go numb —
as cold as the water enveloping me, The trees hang,
green and blooming
without flowers," really stuck with me! It was very beautiful and peaceful. You did a wonderful job with this! I hope you keep writing poetry. Also, I'm looking to the right, and am very glad I see so much more poetry to read! :D
Happy writing! :)




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 33
Reviews: 131

Donate
Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:19 pm
Monsters wrote a review...



Hey pocket.

The fog tells me about last night.


Why mention this if you won't give us details?

parts before me,


What do you mean by parts?

The fog murmurs
and
The fog tells me


Is redundant. I think this makes it seem a little like rambling.

It whispers,

mimics the frogs


It whisper mimics?

They are tiny and delicate, loud.


Why would you sway from conventional grammar here? It doesn't give you anything in my opinion except awkwardness.

It is cold on my hands, melts under my toes.
I step from rock to rock, and they are sharp and solid,


This is a perfect example of you sometimes using and and sometimes you don't. I think that if you are going to stick with it as a style choice you should be consistent about it. Otherwise it comes off awkward and hard to follow. At least for me.

wondering at the smell of me.


I would perfer: 'Wondering about my smell' over this but that's up to you of-course.

___________________

Now that I got that all out of the way; I gotta say I am a bit confused. I literally thought this was a baptism and by the end I'm not so sure. There is no use in guesswork, it's subjective but I'm going to assume this is a person in the wild anyways :P.

I think the 4th stanza is a bit misplaced, almost interrupting the scenery to come back to it.

I liked how slow you took it, taking up with your character and by then end I had the scenery, the smells and everything I would hope for. In that respect and overall you did great!




User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:24 am
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello CapitalMonday here for a review. i like to begin on the imagery in this poem is beyond my writing (or the imagery i use in them for that fact) since you can feel the water- being cold and making your body tremble- as you step into the water or the eyes of the mountain lions disembodied luminescent eyes watch is quite amazing. Also i think the beginning you used a hook (something to attract readers in like flies or something.)

Whenever i look at a poem and read it, i try to look for corrections/improvements (which most poems do) but unlike those, poem this one seems pure in a sense since you are stating your message across to the reader as we are all the same (as you said as in the last stanza). Since it is true, we are all the same to whether we are flower getting the morning dew from a leaf or a deer drinking water from a pond. We are all the same and hopefully we stay the same.

Also this reminds me of the time i went to my back lake in the morning and noticed the mist falling onto the grass below, wetting it or the fact, that you could hear the frogs croak their music.. reminded me of this poem.

Sorry for rambling on. Just my way of saying this is an amazing poem.

Farewell,
CapitalMonday




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 am
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Hello!
I swear that you said that you didn't like nature poetry. But if this is anything but a nature poem, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

I personally really like nature poetry, and this is no exception. You painted the scene with just the right amount of straight-up description and descriptive action. The images are spot-on. I felt like i was looking at a painting, or a movie. Heck, I felt like I was actually there.

Your use of enjambment was nice (what's it called when you don't start a new stanza with a new sentence? Is that also enjambment? Usually I don't like that much, but here, I think it worked.) and the lines all flowed well, as much as I could tell.

I really don't have much to critique about this. I feel like the most important line of the poem was the very last one. It seems to me like that last line was supposed to give words to something the poem was telling us in images (like, "I am a deer; like a deer, I am afraid of mountain lions."). However, the mountain-lion thing, and of course the river were the only things that tied the narrator to the deer in my mind. And being in the forest in general, I suppose. But what do deer have to do with frogs? Perhaps I'm just interpreting it wrong. Perhaps you just mean that they're both just animals, afraid of somethings, cold, and beautiful.

amiably tip and echo my presence further down,

When I first read this line, it seemed incredibly vague. Then I looked at it again, and understood it better, but I still felt like you hadn't characterized the stones as "amiable." "Impassive" or "indifferent" perhaps, but not friendly, if they're scratching.

That's all I have. It was a wonderful experience to read this. The images were refreshing in the way a cold drink is. Thank you for writing it, and continue to write!





There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki