Wool of the Prince-- Chapter 10

by Rook

~1,500 words

As they wove their way through the crowded streets busy with the morning rush, the group heard a shout. Jay turned around and saw Shep hurtling toward them, a huge grin on his face, his shepherd’s robes billowing out behind him almost comically. When he had caught up to them, he leaned over, gasping for breath.

“We’ve been looking for you everywhere,” he wheezed. “I’m so glad you’re safe.” Shep led the way back to the inn, refusing the offer of assistance walking. “I really shouldn’t be having this much trouble,” he glanced at Jay and winked. “I’m both younger and older than I look. Try to figure that little riddle out.” He laughed, but quickly stopped, clutching his side.

Before Jay could even begin to come up with an answer for Shep’s riddle, they had arrived at the inn. They feasted on tropical fruit salad and fruitwashes that reminded Jay of passion fruit. Fleta relayed the story of what had happened with Cabot.

Shep sighed. “I knew this would happen one day. It appears we have gained an enemy. A powerful one too, it looks like. Enemies are good for keeping us on our toes, but not for much else. We’d better stay moving.”

“And… there’s something else, Ato,” Fleta said. Jay’s teeth crunched on the tasty bottom of his fruitwash.

“Hm? What is it?”

“Cabot said that we are more of a hindrance to you than a help to you. He said that we were likely to spout secrets near spies. I’m thinking about leaving, Ato, I don’t want to get in the way of your mission, and I haven’t been very helpful anyway. So I’ll just leave, I mean, it’s been fun and all…” Fleta’s eyes were rimmed with red, and a tear was already carving down her face.

“Hah! Cabot’s dead wrong. You’re a thousand times more helpful than you are not. I’m sure I’ll prove it to you one day, or rather, you’ll prove it to me.” Shep slapped a hand on Fleta’s back, “you’re not leaving whatever Cabot thinks. And now we know he has spies, we can feed him some false information.”

Fleta didn’t look convinced, but she nodded. “So when and where are we going?”

“Not too far, just around to the other side of the island. I heard some local chatter that there’s something magical that lives there.” Shep turned to Jay, “All the sheep are guarded by some sort of magic guardian, puzzle, or cage. It’s easiest just to follow rumors.”

In several hours—the island was rather small, but the forest was dense and the easiest way was around the perimeter—they had reached the other side of the gorgeous island, where it was clear something magical abided. The ground was covered with scorch marks, lines burnt in the ground in intricate patterns. In the center of this vast and mystical landscape was a small structure, rather like a gazebo, but with closed walls.

The sheep started bleating, all facing the building in the center. One started forward, but as soon as its hoof touched the charred line, it fell asleep. Another sheep tried jumping the lines, but they were too close together, the sheep too clumsily, and the sheep stepped on a line. There was a loud pop, and the sheep’s wool seemed to double in size. It stood there in very literal shock for a moment before limping back to the flock.

Shep surveyed the scene. “These lines are embedded with magical properties that can have various effects on the body. That line there,” She pointed to the line the first sheep had touched, “makes the trespasser go to sleep. The other line shocks them. I would assume that the closer you come to the center, the worse the side effects are. The closest line to the center probably induces death.”

“How do you know this?” Jay asked, incredulous.

“I don’t, I’m just guessing.” Shep grinned. “Whoever goes across is going to have to jump between these lines,” shep said.

“Kind of like hop-scotch,” Jay mused.

“Hop… scotch?”

“It’s a game where you have to jump from one square to the next, and… oh never mind.”

“And you were good at this game, yes?” Shep asked, hope in his eyes.

Jay laughed, “I’m about the least talented jumper I know. I have the grace of a two-legged stool.”

Shep looked at Fleta apologetically. “I’m afraid I’m too out of shape for all this jumping around. Fleta, you’re the only one who seems fit for this task, and as I recall, you’re quite nimble when you need to be.”

Fleta grimaced. “Do I really have to? I don’t want to end up dead. How do I even get across this?” The scorch patters were laid out like interlocking circles, each circle getting smaller and smaller until at the end there wasn’t even enough space to rest half a foot.

“With skill and luck,” Shep said seriously. “Take your time, but if it helps you to stay on your feet, go quickly.”

Fleta sat down. “I need some time to plan this, to think about this! I could die here! I feel like we’re rushing this. Maybe we’re not seeing it all the way through!”

Gilfred looked at Godfrey. “Well,” Gilfrey started, “I could try to go first…”

“No!” Fleta shouted. “No, you mustn’t. I’ll go. I just need a minute.” Fleta faced the building in the center, and took a deep breath that puffed out her cheeks. In that very moment she looked like a warrior facing certain death. Then, she leaped into the first ring.

Godfrey let out a nervous laugh. “That wasn’t so bad, right?”

Fleta looked grim, “there’s still a lot left.” And she jumped again. The way she caught herself when she landed reminded Jay of a cat. She made hardly any noise at all. “I think there are nine layers of these circles, all interlocking,” she said, jumping again. “But it’s hard to tell.” She jumped between a few more circles.

Jay watched, not realizing he was holding his breath until it all came out at once when Fleta slipped. It was only a little slip, hardly noticeable except for her hand shooting out to hold her balance, and a small thud when she landed, squatting. Jay saw Fleta exhale a little bit as well. She looked to be a little more than halfway through. She went to stand up, but her hand brushed a scorch mark on the ground.

Before Jay realized what was happening, Fleta was screaming. Some blood hit the ground. Shep started forward automatically, but he held himself back. “Keep going!” he shouted, “you’re almost there!” Fleta turned her head to face them, tears streaming down her face, but she nodded. Jay could make out a large gash where her hand had touched the line. It looked ugly. That line was only a little more than half the way across. Jay shuddered to think what the other ones would do.

Fleta continued jumping circle to circle. There were a few tense moments when Jay was certain she was a goner, but she caught herself with grace. Jay could hardly believe his eyes when she jumped onto the narrow ledge that surrounded the gazebo-structure in the center. She twisted back to grin at the group.

“What do I do now?” She shouted back to them.

“Look for any abnormal carvings or something on the wall,” Shep answered back.

Fleta edged around the gazebo, her good hand brushing up and down the side. “Aha!” she shouted, out of sight. Jay, Shep, and the trolls ran around the circle of scorch marks to see Fleta standing next to a door-shaped hole in the wall. She grinned and poked her head in. “It’s dark in here,” came her voice, echoing from the hole. Fleta stepped all the way into the hole. She was gone for a minute, and then came out holding a curious box.

Fleta started unfolding segments from the box, all connected. Soon, it formed a narrow walkway that reminded Jay of a balance beam. “Alright! Now you can cross!” called Fleta.

Jay looked at the wooden plank in disbelief. “There’s no way I can cross this!” he shouted back.

“Oh,” Fleta said, almost as if she didn’t realize not everyone could cross such a narrow beam. “I think there’s another one in here.”

One unfolded box later, Shep, Jay, and the trolls were carefully making their way across the two boards. Shep stopped when he reached the entrance. Jay said, “keep moving,” but when Shep moved out of the way, Jay’s mouth fell open. The center of the building was missing its floor, or rather, its floor was nowhere to be seen. In it’s place was a hole that seemed to reach down hundreds of feet.

“If there is a sheep here, and I’m fairly certain there is one, it will be that way,” Shep said, pointing to the hole.

Jay gulped.

---

A/N: This was kind of what I was trying do talk about with the circles, but I feel like I did a bad job with describing it. If you can think of some way I could be clearer, please tell me.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:15 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

As usual, I will do my best to feebly whisper a few nitpicks, do a mile of praise, and then vanish in the wind... (Or so my poetic side hopes. :P )

To me the entire part with Shep finding them after they were kidnapped seems a little small. I mean, they have been gone for almost an entire day, right? All Shep does is do a little bit of thank goodnessing and goes right off to the inn--without demanding an explanation RIGHT AWAY, which is what I or I think anyone else would have done in his situation. So you can think about that and see if it makes more sense your way or my suggestion--make him bug them for answers, and make them stutter out a few excuses or something. Make them have some friction. Shep is awfully worried about them, so he would deserve more time for his worriment than one sentence. :)

even begin to come up with an answer for Shep’s riddle,

Quite honestly, I just want to hear that riddle! Tell meeeee.

Jay’s teeth crunched

Umm... ouch. That would really hurt--having your teeth crunched. I think you just used the wrong verb there. Crunched makes me think of his teeth breaking--not the fruitwash crunching beneath his teeth. I just think you need to switch a few words around, and it will make more sense there.

Cabot said that we are more of a hindrance to you than a help to you

The second to you installs redundancy, and isn't really necessary either since they are already talking about their relationship with Shep. I think just take out the second and leave the first for clarification.

I have the grace of a two-legged stool.”

Do you allow suggestions? Here would be the perfect time for another reference to his world--something that doesn't belong in the one he is in now, but in Earth.

scorch patters were laid

"patters" I think should be "patterns"--or at least it goes better with the sentence that way, and makes more sense.

came out holding a curious box.

Don't tell us its curious--show us. Describe the box more, because I didn't really know what it looked like, so my image was rather shallow and probably misleading.

No more nitpicks from me. :D

I thought the description of the circles and everything else was great, amazing in fact. I could see everything just fine in mesa imaginationnnn, and I loved the entire scene. The idea was neat, the way you expressed it was neat, and how do I put this?

I LIKED IT.

There we go. I like this chapter a tonnn...

This is the first chapter where Fleta actually did something, and seemed like she could do something better than everyone else. In the other chapters, she is almost like the lame leg, never seeming to do anything worthwhile and just getting in everyone's way. She even feels like she doesn't contribute anything, which is bad. Now she knows she has a purpose, and that she can do something everyone else can't. That is a good feeling--one we all need from time to time. A feeling that we are all special, and we can all do something special, something that sets us apart from everyone else. An ability!

But now I am just rambling on, so yeah. xD

Great chapter. Great character development. See you soon! (next chapter!)
~Darth Timmyjake

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:42 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hi Fortis!

So sorry for the lateness but I am here now ;) Another great chapter I must add. I don't think the description of the circles was too bad at all. I got what you meant, about the circles lines being dangerous and the fact that gradually the spaces in between kept getting small and smaller. I also love ho Fleta is kind of the star of the show, especially as she is feeling like she is annoying the mission more than aiding it. If anything would turn that around, this could :D

One thing I did notice though, that although the focus was all on Fleta, don't forget tto mention all the characters a bit more. The trolls seemed like they were mentioned once as a small afterthought. Make sure they shout encouraging things or maybe some of the things Shep is saying while she is jumping circles. Jay is okay here, though, because he does get a bit of limelight.

refusing the offer of assistance walking.

Just to make this more clear I would add with between assistance and walking :D

the sheep too clumsily, and the sheep stepped on a line

Should be: the sheep were too clumsy, and ended up stepping on a line. My question: why did Shep let the sheep go first anyway? Aren't they the things he should be protecting? Or better yet, you should mention how there was no stopping all those sheep when the darted off in different directions and did their own thing. I can just imagine Shep trying to get them to come back and together while some are falling asleep on lines and others getting shocked. It makes for an interesting image ;)

I need some time to plan this, to think about this! I could die here! I feel like we’re rushing this.

I feel like we get a lot of repetition of the word 'this' here. Maybe cut the first one, because it's not necessary, and replace the last one with 'a bit' or something else instead. The middle one can stay ^.^

Also, if you think the description of the circles are still a bit sketchy, keep the picture in there! Books do have pictures every now and again, so it should be fine.

Hm, when Fleta tries standing up, her hand brushes a line. You mention there is blood and that she is left with a cut and tears on her face, but I am still wondering what that line actually does? Maybe mention that there was red around the mark and Fleta could feel the heat of the circle as it burned through her skin, melting it away till there was only blood left. Or something gruesome-ish like that which really shows that, wow, those circles are vicious.

I love how Fleta goes from feeling useless to being the only one able to do the job. It really also shows some of the bravery in her, as she won't let the trolls even try and go in her place. The description you gave of her dancing/hopping from one patch of ground to another was great. The only way you could make this chapter even better would be to emphasize how great it is that Fleta is actually there. Show her beaming as her head pokes through the hole in the floor and produces the beam, her face a picture of triumph. And perhaps mention that Jay could see more in there, that Fleta finally felt like she was doing something helpful and seemed happy to be. Just so we can really see the change in mood, and have it driven home.

As always, an awesome chapter, Fortis. Keep me updated for when you post next (and hopefully I can hop to it faster next time.) And congrats for being one of the very few last of the warriors!

Deanie x

Noelle wrote a review...

“I need some time to plan this, to think about this! I could die here! I feel like we’re rushing this.

You've used the word 'this' three times here. I feel like that's too much. It's like every other word I read is 'this'. Cut out a few of them, yes? Good. *nods*

Shep started forward automatically, but he held himself back.

I find this a bit hard to imagine. How can someone hold themselves back? Shep can easily start forward and then stop himself, certainly. But hold himself back? Well, that's usually something someone else would do for him.

So I saw the picture before I read the chapter 'cause I'm lame, so I can't really comment on whether you explained it good or not >< sorry.

Not a bad chapter here. I'm glad that Shep was out looking for them as well. I was worried there for a hot second that he was just lounging around, waiting for the trolls to find his companions. But no worries, my faith in him had been restored.

We've gotten to know Fleta a bit more in these past two chapters. I like that. I feel like she's really part of the group now, rather than just tagging along. The runin with Cobalt shows how determined and strong she is. But then in this one, she seems to struggle with what had said and she also struggled when Shep asked her to jump through those circles. It's just a subtle thing, but I like how it shows she's human as well. She has fears and worries just like anyone else.

Another cliff hanger?? Great, now I'll have to wait to find out what happens and what's down that hole. Thanks for that :P

**Noelle**

kayfortnight wrote a review...

Is Shep okay? From the previous chapters, it seems like he walks a lot daily, so all this shouldn't be tiring him out this much, unless he's sick.

Honestly, I'm still not sure who or what exactly Fleta and Shep are. I'm still clinging to my belief they're more than they seem.

I think you did well describing the circles. My only suggestion there is that you might want to describe them as scorched curves instead of lines.

The others have already commented on spelling errors, so I'll ignore that.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:58 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Again, I will note as I read...

Shep hurtling toward them

"Hurtling" doesn't fit as well as "hurrying."
Jay’s teeth crunched on the tasty bottom of his fruitwash.

This sentence is kind of random. Consider placing it elsewhere.
“And… there’s something else, Ato,”

Ato? Again, I probably forgot something.
Shep slapped a hand on Fleta’s back, “you’re not leaving whatever Cabot thinks.

Three things here:
-Period after "back"
-Capitalize "you're"
-The rest of it doesn't make sense.
some sort of magic guardian, puzzle, or cage

Ooh! Will we be seeing some later on? (These kind of things excite me.)
Oh, yes. It looks like we are...
I have the grace of a two-legged stool.

:D
Gilfred looked at Godfrey.

Woah, they're here?
“there’s still a lot left.”

Capitalize "there's."
Some blood hit the ground.

Meh. "Hit" is a boring and non-descriptive word.
“you’re almost there!”

Capitalize.
The maze of scorch lines was really cool. As for describing the circles, I think you did a good job. One thing you could have done better, however, was describing the thickness of the lines.
This chapter was truly ingenious! I feel like this book is finally on its way again. Excellent job, fortis!! And now I must wait for the next chapter........... :( All I can say is write fast and write well. I'm so excited! :D

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 am
Ventomology wrote a review...

Yo, Fort! Funny that I'm reviewing you twice in one day, right?

Anyways, nitpicks first:

As they wove their way through the crowded streets busy with the morning rush[/quotes] Just... take out the 'the'. That's it.
Another sheep tried jumping the lines, but they were too close together, the sheep too clumsily, and the sheep stepped on a line.
I'm not even sure what happened in this sentence. Really. There is one sheep, then two, and... I give up.
She pointed to the line the first sheep had touched
Should either be 'He' or 'Shep'.

And... that's it. You actually did a great job with describing the floor! And thank goodness you didn't try to spend a whole paragraph on it. That might have led to some frustration.

Now, my last comment is this: There is a continuity error here. Fleta goes into the building first, and brings out the box-bridges, but where are these stored? All we know about the gazebo's interior is that the center is a giant hole, so it might be good to have something about the hole's size in relation to the building. (Like... there's probably space between the entrance and the hole? At least two feet?)

That's all I have for you today! Great job with all the descriptions; they were lovely. :)
Ciao!

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh