z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Wool of the Prince-- Chapter 41

by Rook


~852 words

“Oh stop staring at me like that,” said Cabot, not meeting their eyes. “We have work to do.” Cabot went about setting gray round stones on the ground. Soon, they took the shape of a hexagon.

Jay took the time while Cabot’s back was turned to check on William. There was blood dripping from his scalp. Jay felt for a pulse and found one rather easily. He would be okay then. Maybe. Jay was no doctor.

Cabot had placed six stones in a hexagonal shape. He mumbled over some words, and a purple light started pulsing in the center of the stones.

“Is he alright?” Fleta asked, looking worried.

Cabot growled “He’ll be fine. It’s your sorry skins that you need to worry about. Get over here.”

Fleta and Jay just looked at Cabot, continuing to stand over William.

“That’s an order. Do it now!”

They walked slowly to the ring of stones.

“Hurry up,” he said, glancing around. When they reached the circle, he pointed to one corner of the stone hexagon. “Fleta, you stand there.” He pointed again, “Jay, you, there. Now link pinkies.” They did what they were told. “On my count, you jump. One… two… three!” They jumped into the swirling purple vortex.

Jay felt like a static-ridden blanket was being pulled over him quickly. It wasn’t an unpleasant experience, it just made his hair stand on end a little. Soon, they landed in the World-Between-Worlds. There was silence as they walked, more layers of gray covering the world they came from as the space in front became more transparent. Not a word was said, and the World-Between-Worlds must have felt uncomfortable with the silence, for it seemed to take less time to get from Earth to Trevon than it had before. Soon, they pushed into Cabot’s office in the spire on the mountain.

Nothing had changed. Shep and the trolls were still frozen, and the lightbulbs were still glowing. Even the tea pot and cups from before had been left out on the table. I bet Shep must have one heck of a backache, Jay thought. And Cabot’s electricity bill must be through the roof!

“You’re going to reanimate our friends now, right?” Fleta challenged.

“Right after I make a… call to someone.” Cabot puttered about a cabinet in the corner of the room, opening drawers and swearing under his breath. “Where did I put it?” he muttered.

“You mean this?” a sultry voice asked. A woman stepped into the room, a gold-chained locket swinging from her hand. She was dressed in a green sheath dress that flared out at the knees. She had auburn hair all piled on top of her head, and a burgundy cloak that covered her shoulders.

Cabot’s eyes widened in surprise, but he nodded.

“Well isn’t it convenient that I’m already here, Cabbie?” She walked further into the room, examining Shep and the Trolls as she passed them. She brushed past Fleta and Jay, then lounged in Cabot’s sofa, which matched the color of her dress. “This was quite an ingenious was of communication, wasn’t it?” She popped open the locket and smiled a small smile at whatever was inside. “But I decided that I don’t want you to have it any more.” She snapped it shut. “I don’t like being at anybody’s beck and call.” She closed her hand around the locket, and it melted onto the carpet.

Cabot watched, a look of horror on his face, but Jay wasn’t sure whether he was more horrified at the loss of communication, or molten locket all over his expensive rug.

“Well, since you were going to summon me anyway, Cabbie, what is it that you want from me?” Her green eyes flashed.

“I wanted to give you the report that I have the dagger,” Cabot said, straightening.

“Well, what are you going to do with it?” she asked, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

“Make myself immortal, of course,” Cabot responded, walking slowly closer to the center of the room. Jay felt a knot of dread form in his stomach. There was something in Cabot’s tone of voice and his movement that was setting off alarm bells in Jay’s head.

“Well, you don’t need my permission for that, do you?” the woman said, trailing her fingers along the sofa’s plush back.

“I guess not,” Cabot looked unsure.

“Go on, then,” she said, waving her fingers dismissively. “Do your work. I’m not squeamish, so don’t worry about me.”

Shep advanced toward where Shep and the trolls stood frozen, removing the dagger from the inside of his cloak.

“What are you doing?” shouted Jay, straining forward, but he found he couldn’t move his feet. He stared down at them, confused, then glanced up to meet the woman’s wink.

Cabot circled around to the back of Shep, appraising him like a cow put up for slaughter. He raised the dagger high over his head.

“No!” Fleta screamed.

“You promised you wouldn’t harm them!” Jay yelled.

It seemed as if Cabot didn’t hear them. He brought down the dagger, aiming for Shep’s heart.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:02 am
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Heya Fortis!

Happy review day!

Today I am going to try and power through as many chapters as I possibly can of your novel, because I have been lagging behind lately and I feel a bit bad for doing so :/ So let's see how far I can get! This one might be a pretty short review because you have some awesome comments already and I don't have much to add...

Ooh, it looks Cabot has betrayed them! I almost thought he felt guilty when he hit Will and knocked him out in such a vicious way because he wouldn't meet their eyes, but it looks like this isn't the case. We should've known he wouldn't have kept his word. And then there is this mysterious lady who has suddenly slipped into the story. She definitely looks exotic and I get the impression that she is even more powerful than Cabot, which can't be any good news for Jay and Fleta, especially in their drastic situation. I really how he doesn't harm Shep or that Jay can think of something although the situations look pretty dire at the moment...

I found it interesting that they obeyed Cabot when they were on earth. Seeing as he had put down the brick he used to knock out Will, that means he had no weapons or leverage over them. What would he do if they didn't obey them? I do understand why they did though - one look at Will would be enough to make me do whatever he says. And also the impression we get that the ritual would take them back to the other world anyway. But I don't get the impression that is why they are listening - it strikes me they are listening simply because they feel they have to. So maybe you should change the reasoning. Have Jay glance at Will's body, and then at the pentagon and decide to listen only because of that, and not because Cabot is Cabot.

When they are all stuck in the room and everything is unfolding, Jay calls out and tries to stop Cabot from whatever he is doing, even though he can't move. And Fleta does... nothing? I feel like she was a bit forgotten here. I mean, Shep is someone who she cares a lot for because he took her in, if I am remembering correctly. I feel like she should be the one to try and act as well, even if it would be in a more quiet manner than Jay is doing. Or she might cry... or something. I just felt like she wasn't mentioned enough in the scene where Cabot arrives back home. I wanted to see more of her.

Maybe. Jay was no doctor.


I would make the sentence 'Jay was not a doctor.' I feel like the writing here so far hasn't included too many slang phrases, and for some reason that one feels like one to me. So, that's just a suggestion!

I don't have anything more to say. I will simply keep reading and see what happens! The suspense has definitely been building...

Deanie x




Deanie says...


Oh noes, I called you fortis >< It was automatic...



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:19 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review!

Cabot is most definitely feeling like the villain again. I love it! I feel like there was less to do with him when they were on Earth because he didn't know the place. I've decided that that's the reason he was acting less... evil. Now he's back in Trevon and he has control of the situation. Even the way he acts and talks is different. Were we maybe seeing his weak spot when they were on Earth? That would be interesting. The villain always has something that is their undoing. Maybe this is it for Cabot. Fleta and Jay don't seem scared of him at all ever since their first day on Earth. This could really come in handy for them later.

I like the part in here about what it felt like to go through the portal. Obviously we don't have portal travel in real life so it was important that you showed us what it felt like, even if it was something little. It's those little details that really make a story work.

Aw man, another villain? This is the best. This new lady is very interesting. I feel like she's the sorceress that turned all the royalty into sheep. Might I be right? Wait, don't tell me, I want to figure it out when the characters do :P Anyway, I like the addition of her into the story here. Villains usually have sidekicks or other people working with them. This woman seems to be one of them, obviously. My point is, with Cabot working with someone else, it'll be hard for Jay and the others to stop him. On his own he'd be able to take down. With this other woman though, it'll be harder for them.

Noooo! How could you do this to us?! You're gonna leave us with this kind of cliffhanger?? No fair. Well, the good thing about me being behind is that I don't have to wait to read the next chapter :P

I always thought that Cabot would betray them and go back on his promise. He never seemed like a honorable kind of guy to me. Which of course, I was right about. Now it all makes sense why he needed to freeze Shep. It's easy for Cabot to kill him when he can't fight back. Oh that evil genius. I think I've underestimated Cabot way too much. Maybe we should actually look out for him.

Alright, let me go see what's waiting for me after this cliffhanger. Hopefully it's something better than the worst that I'm assuming.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:33 am
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



I am going to very slowly make my way through the chapters I missed in no particular order...

Now then, like Timmy said, this is pretty great in terms of description. The poetic devices I was missing in the next chapter are still here, and you keep things short and sweet.

My only problem with this style is that, like an artist using colors from a photograph, the details do not stand out as well as they could. When I paint, I exaggerate the colors and lines and contrast so that the painting seems brighter and more vibrant than the photograph. I get it; it's good to be real. But a little hyperbole (especially with emotion) never hurts.

Also, I know Timmy mostly went over the whole "Fleta-and-Jay" thing, but I think what he said there can apply elsewhere. Jay is just so objective. His thoughts on everything, and how he reacts to every detail, greatly affect how the scene is perceived. Like at the end, how fast is the world around Jay progressing? Does this all happen before he can process it, or does the world slow down and make him feel like he could have done something?

In other news, this is a great chapter in plot-ey stuff. I can only imagine how stressful it would be to wait to read the next chapter after an ending like this! I kind of wonder what happens to William, but everyone's back in Trevon anyways, so I'm sure I'll forget that at some point. I think even if I hadn't read chapter 42 first, I would still like the Enchantress. I mean, anyone who calls Cabot "Cabbie" has to be pretty great.

Lovely work, as always! I'll probably scroll through my reviews so I can figure out where I left off, and then hopefully start from there.

Ciao!
-Buggie




User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:21 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy heeeere

Is this the shortest chapter yet? o.o I actually didn't notice it shorter than usual when I read it, because you filled this chapter with so many lovely goodies, I wasn't paying attention while reading it. I thought this chapter was much better than the one before, and I love how much more attention to the descriptions you're giving us. Especially the ride back to Trevon. That was very good, even though it was short. I still felt as though you had given us a very good description. But that is one thing with your style - always tight, and just as much as we need to see. Nothing more. It keeps your story moving, establishes your pace. And helps us focus on what needs to be paid more attention. Because especially with this chapter, I can see everything as we go along. But there isn't too much description, where it clogs the page and makes everything else less important because it's hard to find them. Not too much. Not too little. PERFECT.

“Oh stop staring at me like that


Comma after oh

He would be okay then.


Comma after okay

They did what they were told.


Okay, so this part is going to sound weird. But here are Jay and Fleta, never held hands or touched hands or stuff like that and aren't girlfriend/boyfriend yet, and Jay isn't getting red or anything? There are no thoughts we get to see over this part? Hmm? I think that is one part where anything more would have added to the scene, and our knowledge of their relationship. If it's merely friends like "Hey, dudette. What's up, cuz?" kind of thing where they're just friends or, you know, something... more.

Soon, they landed in the World-Between-Worlds


In the World-Between-Worlds was the one place where I wanted more description. It's been a while since we have seen this place, and I wasn't getting a very clear picture. The sentence after this sort of instills an image for us, but not well enough. I found myself wanting more here. ^.^

“Well isn’t it convenient that I’m


Comma after well

locket and smiled a small smile at whatever


That consonance there is going to make my tongue twist into a knot. smiled a small smile. Too many sm there. And one too many smile, too. I would remove one and tweak that part.

“Well, what are you going to do with it?


I don't know if it was intentional or not, but her dialogue is very annoying. >.< Not her words or how she talks, but just how at almost every time she talks, she starts with Well... and it's too much. Once is okay, but twice is too many times. Many authors and editors say to never use those kinds of words in dialogue, since they're weak. I use them occasionally, anyway.

And while I am on the subject of her, while I think you did a wonderful job describing what she was wearing, and her voice - all that. I don't think you even touched how she looked herself. What did she look like? You mention she had a sultry voice. What did her face look like? Was she pretty? Ugly? I am assuming she is purdy, but ya know, that may be just because I watch too many Hollywood movies. So the description with her could be worked on, and extended a bit. Just so I can see her face. As for the description on how she looked? Wonderful. Just build her features.

ASDFJKL That ending is going to kill me. >.< You know that, right? Wait. Of course you did. It was your plot all along. Heh, your scheme to make us fidget and worry for the next week whether Cabot follows through with it, or if he has a change of heart (or if plunging the dagger in Shep's heart will somehow reanimate him... however backwards that seems). And the entrance of that woman as a character? Very nice. I like her and her place in this chapter. She seems to be in control over Cabot... sort of. Since he can call her whenever he wishes, it seems as though he is in control of her, but when she melted the locket (o.o), it seemed as though "Cabbie" would be listening to her, instead. And it seemed as though she knew things Cabot didn't. And it seems as though they have somewhat of a history together, since she called him that nickname. Altogether, I loved this chapter. Even though it seemed to be one of your shortest, if not your shortest, it is probably at least one of my favorites. And they're finally out of our world! YES. That place is so boring, anyway. Merh. I prefer Trevon, thank ye very much.

Keep writing (duh)
~Darth Timmyjake




Rook says...


Oops I meant to say 852 and not 652. :P
It's definitely not 652 words short. XD
Thank you for the review, as always. ^-^



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 620
Reviews: 170

Donate
Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:59 am
yubbies21 says...



I feel betrayed by Cabot...how could he do this?! :(





The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes