Chickenish

by rainforest

I'm feeling a bit chickenish.

I'm starting to grow feathers,

I have an addiction to crossing roads,

My legs are turning a bright orange,

I have sudden cravings for grains and vegetables,

I cluck and bawk at inappropriate times,

And I'm growing wings!

What is wrong with me?

Maybe I'm ju-

BAWK!

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:39 pm
dogsrule5 wrote a review...

Hey, Dogs here to review.

I thought this poem was quite amusing and a bit funny to be honest. I really liked how you were comparing you to being a chicken. I thought that was cool.

There were tons of things I liked about this poem.

1) I loved the imagination, because I imagined a person talking and sounding more and more like a chicken, as well as turning into one, which was really cool.

2) My favorite line
"I have an addiction to crossing roads."
When I saw this line it made me think of the joke Why did the chicken cross the road?!

3) I loved how it was short and simple.

4) The title... What to say about it... It dragged me in, and I wanted to read your poem when I saw it!

Keep up the fantastic writing,
Love,
Dogs

rainforest says...

dogsrule5 says...

No problem! :D

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 pm
Astronomer wrote a review...

Hello, Elysium!

I was brought here by the title, and my undying love of chickens and how they taste so here's a short little review for a short little poem.

I found the poem to be amusing. As I read it I imagined a voice that as the poem progressed sounded more and more chicken-like. The poem felt a bit...choppy...but I guess it depends on how you read it, so to fix that I read it in sort of a fast, panicky way.

Maybe I'm ju-

to be honest, I had no idea what the character was going to say there at first >>

I have an addiction to crossing roads,

That's personally my favorite line xD

I agree that the poem could be rearranged to least severe to most severe of feeling "chickenish"

Nice job!
~Moonwatcher

rainforest says...

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:11 pm
reikann wrote a review...

Hehe. This is a simple little piece of free prose that I found quite amusing, in its own way. It sounds like a children's poem - something to be paired with a funny illustration.
Following this train of thought, if you were to edit it, I'd suggest you alter the line lengths so it feels more rhythmic, and perhaps add some rhyming couplets, to cement the nursery rhyme feel. Perhaps as well re-order the lyrics from low severity to high - put craving for vegetables first, and the leg color bit last, for instance?
I am glad for the narrator that they didn't begin craving worms and bugs, and it's a shame about those roads. We don't know why chickens feel that craving, but it doesn't always end well for them.
Ultimately, it's good for a chuckle, and what else do you need?

rainforest says...

you ever say spidgit finner unironically?
— FireEyes