What Hogwarts House Most Popular Among Potterheads?

by Horisun

So, I got thinking, what Hogwarts house are the most people part of? What House is less common? I began thinking about this, because the majority of my friends are part of the Hufflepuff house, and I became curious, is it our age range? Is it just who I become friends with? Or is it simply the more common house? I decided to find out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotter/comments/4ynu...

I began by searching up results from quizzes. What was the most common result? According to this Reddit post, there were 8,053 people who had done the quiz, the results were as follows;

Ravenclaw with 3,210

Hufflepuff with 1,734

Slytherin with 1,605

Gryffindor with 1,504

I looked at these results, and thought, this couldn't be right! Ravenclaw was waaaaayyyy ahead of everyone else, nearly double! I thought, it might have to do with the quiz, or perhaps more people identify as a different house than what the quiz thought they were, so I continued looking.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MmAG9sKLua...

I found another reddit post, the person had created a spreadsheet where you could write down your house, among other things, to compare with other people. I only looked at the first twenty, but I'll leave a link so you can see about it as well.

Ravenclaw: 4/20

Hufflepuff: 3/20

Slytherin: 6/20

Gryffindor: 1/20

As you can see, the results are vastly different. Gryffindor continues to be in last place, but that's the only thing that has remained consistent. Slytherin is by far in the lead, it's almost double then Hufflepuff! Which, come on, we all know is the best house!

Now, the thing I bet you're all screaming at your screens to do is the YWS official poll. Which I spent, like, ten minutes trying to find last night, and then went back today to find it right there! Like, it was third from the top.

These results were very close to the last ones. Slytherin leaving everyone in the dust, Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tied, and Hufflepuff last. (Surprised me too)

I decided to try and find one more page with results from a quiz to see if my theory of people identifying as a different house then what the quizzes say. AAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDD

the results made zero sense.

I couldn't find anymore pie charts, or posts with results from quizzes, so I just took a peek at the YouTube comments. I looked at the first ten about the house, and here's what I found that Seven were Gryffindor, and three were Ravenclaw. NO Hufflepuffs or Slytherins. I looked at another one, and it was almost the exact same thing! What?

So I took in the final results, and really, the best I can really do with what I have is just look at the average place they got in, so here it goes!

First: Ravenclaw

Second: Slytherin

Third: Hufflepuff

Fourth: Gryffindor

So very interesting results. I'd assume many people would think that Gryffindor would be the most common house, as that is the house the main cast in, but according to my findings, that is not the case. I love Hufflepuff with all my heart, but I didn't really expect it to get very high. Slytherin in second surprised me, but not for the reasons you'd all probably think, I'm actually surprised because a lot of the potterheads I see on youtube, or meet in real life identify with Slytherin, Ravenclaw, using it's wit, claimed the crown, at least from what I've seen.

If you all want to do your own research on this topic and want to post it on YWS, that'd be super cool! If anyone does that, be sure to tag me, I'm curious about what other people think! 

AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Salutations, curious mind!

Rinisha is back here and ready to review 📚!

Buckle up, 'cause this is going to be a bumpy ride. I’m going to keep it short alright!✨

All in all

This party rocked, let's take a quick look!

I think this research was definitely worth it! It was very informative. I honestly never expected Gryffindor to be this low, but to be really honest. I am glad Slytherin made it to the top three, because I am a slytherin. I am not cunning or mean, but you can say that I am ambitious.

I also did quite some quizzes on Buzzfeed to see what house I was in based on my hobbies, movie choices, favourite HP characters and a whole ton of other things like food preferences. I came out to be 80% Slytherin, something like 12% Gryffindor (I can’t say that I am daring to jump in a lion’s den) and the other 8% Ravenclauw & Gryffindor.

You could work on:✒️

Making your work more organised and some more professional language (If it’s a real essay ofc)

You made a great start with all those questions and your proof, but then I think with all of those capitals and exclamation marks, it kind of brought your essay off track.

Be sure to check out…📔🔖

Draco Malfoy: The Unlikely Hero by Me.

I wrote this essay/article on Draco to give people a different perspective on him. Since, I assume you're also a potterhead, why not check it out and let me know what you think.

He is a fictional character in the Harry Potter series created by author J.K.Rowling.

He is a wizard who attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with the-boy-who-lived and his friends, Crab and Goyle. From his introduction in the first book, he’s a character who initially comes across as arrogant and cruel, he is a bully, a bigot and a snob who thinks he’s better than everyone else because of his pure-blood heritage.

But as the readers delve deeper into his story, they find a complex and multi-dimensional character who defies expectations and they begin to see that there is more to him that meets the eye...

Not to forget the Harry Potter fanclub, be sure to join that one too!
clubs/3369

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Amazingly yours,
Rinisha
– Be yourself and keep writing! 📖🎉

Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 am
GengarIsBestBoy wrote a review...

Howdy hey! I’m here to give a review. I’m not even really into harry potter but I’m gonna review this anyways.
I like how you used multiple different sources. Honestly I kinda would’ve assumed that most people would identify with griffindor (because its the house of the main characters) or slytherin (because of draco fangirls), but like someone else said it does make sense that most people are ravenclaws (because harry potter is a book series).
There’s not a whole lot I can say about this, good work!

—GengarIsBestBoy

foxmaster wrote a review...

Wow, that's really interesting. I searched it up on google and it said that Hufflepuff is the most common and Gryffindor is last. I, personally am a Hufflepuff but I DESPERATELY want to be Ravenclaw. Then the second time I took the test it said I was Gryffindor which makes no sense because I am not very brave. Well, honestly a lot of people aren't (no offense) because if Voldemort asked me,"you want to join me on the dark side? oh, by the way you die if you say no" I'd say, "IDK" because, like, who wants to die? And then I'd hope that somebody stops Voldemort. My friend's addicted to Slytherin and I'm like, no, because that's where most of the baddies are.
-Foxmaster

Horisun says...

Good to see another Hufflepuff kicking about! A lot of the Hogwarts houses are more complex than the fans, (or, quite frankly, the book series) gives them credit for. Gryffindor's don't always seem brave. Think Neville! And Slytherins aren't always evil! Think Scorpion, Slughorn, or Regulus Black!
All this to say, though, Hufflepuff is still the best Hogwarts house! :D

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:47 am
Icon says...

Tbh it makes sense that Ravenclaws create the majority of the fandom. I mean, think for a couple seconds. Harry Potter is what? A BOOK series lol. If that's not Ravenclaw than idk what is. Personally, I feel the research was well done and I expect nothing less from my wonderfully eccentric Roomate.

-a smug Ravenclaw

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 am
crazybanana505 says...

this was pretty creative to write about.

Cybers wrote a review...

Whats this? Cyber_Cs? The amazing Cyber? You bet! And i am here with a review thats not really a review.
I liked how you did your reaserch. It must have taken a lot.
But how did you find the quiz contetants. If i did a quiz i woudlnt want for people to know.
I agree with Asith

I did expect Gryffindor to be least popular. The main cast being Gryffindor probably puts a lot of people off because they don't want to be in the "obvious" house of choice. I personally thought slytherin would be above us ravenclaws though.
I am a raven claw. I would think only people who where really smart would be a raven claw. As being full of your self is more common than smarts. And what if people lied on the quizez? I dont but what if people did? I just dont THink saying that no matter what RavenClaws are the most comman.

Cyber_Cs the one the only, Follow me, and your wellcom. Signing off.

Horisun says...

You're right, I'm sure many people may have lied, this is just what I found when I went searching. Thank you for the review.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:23 pm
LavaBlossom says...

I'm a Hufflepuff... So like... :P

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 pm
keystrings wrote a review...

As this is quite a casual form of an essay, I figured I'd give a quick little review to this work, either way, using the YWS Critique Sandwich format as well.

First, what I liked. I do like that you're clearly interested in this subject and follow a couple of parts of the typical guidelines on how to conduct research and gather sources. The assigning of Hogwarts Houses was always something I was curious about since I do imagine that plenty of people develop over time, especially from a young age to become an adult, and thus, could affirm themselves to different ideas as they grew older. In real life, traits such as bravery or cunning can be interpreted in lots of ways and sometimes the line between what is perceived to be "good" or "bad" is quite thin and hard to see.

Next, what I think could be improved on. If we're really talking an essay here, then, of course, this is not the format one would want to turn into their teacher. I honestly think that putting in a few headers throughout this essay would really help guide the reader through every section you link to and explain, let alone being able to form an opinion clearer about how each source seems accurate or not. I'd also go look for a Resources article on how to insert links into the text directly, as I think the random hyperlinks do distract the reader from the content. Past that, it would be quite difficult to compare quiz/test results if the questions were written in distinct ways, as those pesky outside/uncontrollable factors can really affect results.

Finally, a summary of this essay and my points to look at for later. You're quite enthusiastic and interested in this subject which is read quite fully from the text itself. There are a few different resources you link to here which gives some nice feedback on whether these results could possibly be trusted. The YWS poll definitely seemed quite opposite the typical places say, while some houses could be looked down upon as being too "common" or "annoying" as in Gryffindor, as I've seen people on the internet do before.

All in all, this was a fun little read, and I hope you had fun writing this since I had fun reading it. ^^

Horisun says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:08 am
Asith says...

As a ravenclaw, I don't really know what to feel :p

I wonder what the spread of results from only the official pottermore quiz would look like

Horisun says...

I wish I found those... Couldn't find them anywhere.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— René Descartes