Least Romantic 2 Electric Boogaloo: Chapter 3

by Horisun

Authors Note: Just putting it out there that this chapter is unfinished and unedited, so it's super short and super messy. But a lot of my projects become DNF'd when I don't have a consistent (ish) schedule, so I wanted to make sure that didn't happen to this one. 

They had a game plan, now all they had to do was put it into action.

Tiana had a group of girls she usually hanged out with. But there were three of them that she was almost never apart from: Roxanna, Nelly, and, of course, Jenny.

Which was perfect, three people to question, and three Cew Crew Members. But they ran into a little bit of a problem with Jenny.

“But what if she could be swayed to our side?” Ala asked, as Henry and Joseph shifted uncomfortably. “That could sway the tide to our favor!”

“Yes,” Henry said, as he popped a puzzle into place, “But isn’t she Tiana’s sister?”

Oh.

Ala hadn’t thought of that. She had just been thinking of when Jenny had defended her. She slammed her palm to her face. “Of course, how could I have been so stupid?” She wondered aloud.

Henry patted her on the back, “Hey, they’re so different anyway, no one would ever guess they were twins.”

That was true. You could always tell them apart by the way they walked, and the way they talked. Well Tiana stood tall, hands glued to her hips like she was the star of the show, Jenny always stood at the sidelines, always a nervous stutter when she was behind her sister, a shy grin on her face when she wasn’t.

Ala sighed, and turned to Joseph. “What do you think?” She asked him. He was smiling.

“You’re both right.” He said, “Jenny would never go against her sister, but she is much nicer.” He stroked his chin dramatically, as if he had a beard. “But I don’t think we will be able to convince her.”

After further argument, it was decided that Henry would speak to Jenny, Joseph would speak to Roxanna, and Ala would talk to Nelly.

As Ala approached the library, filled with difficult books, such as Junie B. Jones, and Judy Moody. These were mostly for the older first graders who came by after school. Nelly had her nose buried in Pete The Cat, her eyes squinted, as she sounded out the words to a crowd of Sock Puppets.

“Hey Nelly!” Ala said, sitting down beside her, “Whatcha doing?”

Nelly glared out her, then proclaimed proudly, “I am preforming!

Ala wrinkled her nose, “Don’t you mean performing?

Nelly gently placed her book into her lap. “No.” She said stoutly.

They sat in awkward silence for a moment, before Ala dived into the important topic at hand.

“What is Tiana planning?”

Nelly snorted, “Aside from your inedible de- destroying?” She asked intelligently. Ala was (begrudgingly) impressed. 

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:48 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Horisun. I saw this floating around in the Green Room and I don't think I've ever reviewed any of your stuff, so here I am. I haven't read any other parts of this so time for Jack to just try and get a hang of whatever is going on here.

Before I get into the content though there's an elephant in the room to address and possibly shoo out - the formatting of your dialogue. For the most part, it's okay and it's following some of the proper rules. There's not many rules when it comes to the simple components of dialogue. Then there's some suggestions about what is acceptable and what creates an interesting pattern of back and forth for your particular audience.

Dialogue tags have a time and a place, and they should be used sparingly. They can help to distinguish who is saying what and in what way they're saying it and how it's going to affect the rest of your content. But! Having a dialogue tag for almost every single line is not necessary if the emotion is already being described elsewhere and/or you're not working with 5 or more characters at a time. From what I can tell, there's around 5 people being mentioned here but they're not all actively participating in the conversation.

I didn't think too much of this chapter. it might just come from not having read the previous parts and not knowing who any of your characters are. Or I think it might be coming from the fact that there doesn't seem to be too much plot progression within this section. I'm trying to figure out, as an outside reader, what you were trying to establish for the overall story by including this in your project. There's just a lot of people talking to other people about how they need to talk to the other, other people.

Which is sort of confusing.

There's also a lot of people being mentioned who are not active participants in the current scene without much explanation for why they're being mentioned. I don't mind that they're being brought to the front of the readers mind, but maybe give a more substantial reason for why they're there.

So let's just run through a few spots in this chapter where you need some help.

1. The formatting
2. The choice of dialogue tags
3. Lack of variety

1. The formatting
2. The choice of dialogue tags
3. What does it establish

1. The formatting
2. It's okay to use simple words
3. You don't need to have the thesaurus on hand at all times

So hopefully this can help you in some way as you proceed with your project.
Happy February.
- Jack

Horisun says...

Thank you for the review! I do have a question about the term "Lack of Variety" Could you clarify what you meant?

illy7896 wrote a review...

I loved this writing, it has a mystical air about it. I haven't read your other chapters, but I enjoyed this one and though it doesn't have tremendous amount of detail, it is still legible and understandable. I love the dialogue that you have added with the characters.

With this line, I think that favor should be favour. Additionally, since you already said the word swayed, could you substitute the word in the second or the first line: What if she could be persuaded to our side?
I think that this would make it flow easier and have a better rhythm to it.

With this line, could you add a little description of the puzzle itself: as he popped a piece of a puzzle in place, being occupied with it for a couple of hours now.
Just to spice up that line a little bit.

Oh.

I loved the simplicity in these lines yet they imply so much, you can really feel being stopped dead in your tracks for this sudden realisation

I enjoyed reading this :)

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners