The Beginning of the End of the Beginning (Working Title): Volume One

by Horisun

So, I had an idea for a book filled with short stories from a Dystopian Future, but I don't really have the time to write much about it now, so I made a Info Dumpy chapter, to get all my ideas out. Don't expect a Volume Two anywhere in the near future, lol.

The one hundredth meeting of the Human Alliance of Science and Belief against Evil and the Events of Nine o three (Or, the Has Been Society) is called on a cruddy morning during the Zombie Apocalypse.

There are five parties. Three of them are the Governors, the Dual Paths, and the Rich Republic.

But no one cares about them. Because this meeting isn’t for them. Today, all eyes are on the Optimists and the Logisticians, who sit on opposite sides of the room.

Each of the two parties has forty people, and all eighty of them are glaring daggers at one another. In between them is President Barty, who doesn’t have much of a say, and is really there to keep everyone from murdering each other.

After all, he thinks, we have the Zombies for that.

He clears his throat, and rises from his seat, which was scavenged from an abandoned Walmart, and addresses each of the parties.

“This meeting was called to continue the discussion on the moral debate of killing Zombies-“

Bob, who was formerly a builder, rises, “We need time to study them, to understand how they became that way, and how to save them.” He says, “They were our friends, our family,” The Optimists nod, along with a few of the Dual Paths. But Barty frowns.

“As you mention every meeting, and yet it never seems to change any minds.”

“Yeah, we’re just going around in circles now!” Says Penelope, a Governor, “We need to get to work on rebuilding our government.”

“And the Economy.” Adds an unimportant Rich Republic man.

“Logisticians, anything to add?” Asks Barty.

A man in a tatter Tux rises to the stand. His name is Trevor, a former Congressman, before the United States exploded.

“I think, Mr. President, that it is time for us to decide what we need to do.”

“And let me guess, what we need to do is eradicate all infected people, including children, am I correct?” Called Nancy True, a former Hair Stylist who lost her job to Robots.

Trevor glared down at her from the stand, “We need to at least quarantine them, we can’t let them infect-“

His words were drowned out by an array of protests.

“We can’t cage human beings!”

“We’re people, not animals!”

“What gives you the right-?”

But before Barty could step in to calm everyone down, someone screamed.

And then suddenly, the Optimists were pushing to get out of their seats, and away from something.

Guns were drawn. People ran over to the commotion, and on the ground were three people.

Mr. Jewel, Mrs. Jewel, and Jimmy Jones.

Mrs. Jewel was dead, Jimmy Jones was clambering over to them, clutching his right arm, bleeding Green, and blinking. Beside Mrs. Jewel, Mr. Jewels eyes were glowing Red.

With a bang loud enough to wake the undead, the Zombie fell to the ground beside his wife.

And then with one more, so was Mr. Jones.

Mrs. Jewel and Mr. Jewel had hidden the fact that he had been bitten, and in doing so, they destroyed the Has Been Society.

According to certain people, that is.

But smart people, who look at this incident in an unbiased manner, know that the real tragedy was that no one tried to understand each other. Rather, they fought, and fought. And that what was really eating them away was not the zombies, but one another.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi! I'm here for a quick review!!

First Impression: Well this was quite hilarious and I love the concept behind it. I think you do a really good job of bringing this rather crazy seeming future apocalypse thing to life and that ending of yours certainly took me by surprise in how much good advice was in it. So that was a pleasant surprise at the end of a pretty silly story up to that point.

Starting off with a bunch of sci fi jargon and I love it. Sets the mood for what this is going to be quite well and immediately gets us asking questions which is also a good idea. I also like that you've used enough familiar words that we know something serious is going down.

I wouldn't give any bonus points for creative names but then a lot of places have boring names anyway so why not.

Now those are far more interesting names.

Wow, that is an awesome name for a president. And well good amount of explanation by now but I hope its not going to be too much without anything actually happening. The limit is being reached slowly.

Of course Walmart is involved in this.

Ohh...well somebody had to think of that smoeday.

As far as an argument goes that's not bad but I love the subtle humor in there too...totally not laughing my face off

Keeping your priorities in mind I suppose.

Oh dear, the United States just straight up exploded? That must have been quite an interesting time.

I know I'm supposed to be paying attention to killing zombie children but I'm more interested in robot hair stylists for some reason.

Well that seems like a perfectly good idea although I assume it does not go well judging by the interruptions.

“We can’t cage human beings!”

“We’re people, not animals!”

“What gives you the right-?”

Valid points but then... its zombies...

Of course they did.

Oh dear, looks like its about to get quite interesting now, that should be fun.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say they've been zombified.

So much for zombie policies I suppose.

According to certain people, that is.

Well that is a surprsingly deep message to end this pretty fun story but I will take it.

Overall: Overall I liked this quite a bit and if you do post more parts from this idea of yours even if they are delayed I would certainly read them. So yeah I think that's about all that I have to say about this.

Horisun says...

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

Purple67 wrote a review...

Hello there Horisun! I wanted to give a positive review on this piece. I hope you enjoy it.

Now first, this is pretty interesting for a story that includes zombies and a dystopian world. I don't see many interesting worlds very often.

Here's some more stuff i like.

- I like the genre-bending of two totally genres.
- The beginning hooked me to read more of the story.
- it has some great worldbuilding.

And...

- it's a very interesting story!
Overall, this story is cool and i can't wait to see more!

Sincerely, Purple67

Horisun says...

Thank you for the review! Did you note anything I could improve on, by any chance?

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf